575 Posts
    Has he still got no club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Has he still got no club?
    There was talk earlier this month that Blackburn and Charlton were competing for his signature but my understanding is that he's still a free agent.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Rumoured to be in Edinburgh speaking to Hearts.

He'll be taking quite a pay cut if he goes there. Must be no decent offers in the Championship for him.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 02/08/2019 at 7:16 PM.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Rumoured to be in Edinburgh speaking to Hearts.

He'll be taking quite a pay cut if he goes there. Must be no decent offers in the Championship for him.

Speaking sounds ok.....I'd worry for Hearts if he actually was lining out for them. A terrible player. We all know it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Speaking sounds ok.....I'd worry for Hearts if he actually was lining out for them. A terrible player. We all know it.
    His legs are gone but he still anticipates play well and his positioning is excellent. He can play the holding role better than anyone else we have available bar James McCarthy, whose durability remains a question mark.

So my view is he can still do a job for us in a five man midfield.

But I don’t think he can play in a 4-4-2 anymore because he can’t cover enough ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Glenn Whelan and excellence don't go together.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Have to agree. Stuns me that people still talk of him in semi-glowing terms.
    Maybe one day he will be a great manager or assistant manager, but apart from one sumptuous goal against Italy, his playing days for Ireland are very forgettable.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I couldn't disagree more. The guy was an amazing player in terms of the role he was asked to perform, namely shielding the back four and breaking up the opposition's attack. As others have stated, his legs are gone but surely there's a team in League 1 who could used him for ten or fifteen matches this season. He'd be a great player to have on the bench to sub on when holding a lead.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I'll disagree with Colbert on the word amazing but the i think the critiscism of Whelan is misplaced most of the time. He's been consistently picked by a succession of managers because of his strengths. Every manager knew what they would get from him, no more, no less. As a manager that's a great asset in a player. He wasn't an 8 out of 10 ala Denis Irwin but he was 6.5-7.5.

The fact that no player came into squads he was a part of and took his place says a lot.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    10 years in the Premier League and people think he's crap... mind-boggling.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't think anybody said 'crap'. Extremely limited but he obviously had something about him. If I was to judge him solely on his Ireland performances there's no way I would have thought this fella was a PL regular for so long. I do think he was almost symbolic of how limited we were as a team throughout his career with us, but it wasn't his fault he was the best available at times.

I think it's just lazy to say loads of managers picked him so he must be good, even if our own eyes told us otherwise at times. He could obviously read the game reasonably well but he was slow, uncomfortable on the ball, reluctant to receive it and generally not much of a physical presence in there either.

There was always a notion amongst his defenders that we'd miss him when he's not there and that we wouldn't have conceded certain goals if he had been on the pitch but, in general, we have got most of our better results over the years without him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I don't think anybody said 'crap'. Extremely limited but he obviously had something about him. If I was to judge him solely on his Ireland performances there's no way I would have thought this fella was a PL regular for so long. I do think he was almost symbolic of how limited we were as a team throughout his career with us, but it wasn't his fault he was the best available at times.

I think it's just lazy to say loads of managers picked him so he must be good, even if our own eyes told us otherwise at times. He could obviously read the game reasonably well but he was slow, uncomfortable on the ball, reluctant to receive it and generally not much of a physical presence in there either.

There was always a notion amongst his defenders that we'd miss him when he's not there and that we wouldn't have conceded certain goals if he had been on the pitch but, in general, we have got most of our better results over the years without him.
    Nail on the head. Whelo fans alway say but but but he was in the prem. Use your own eyes and make a decision
    imo james McCarthy is playing a different sport to whelo.
    However what we will all agree on he has a heart of a lion and was and is a patriot

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well for the last two years McCarthy has been playing a different sport because it's rarely been football. And I'd hardly say most of our better results have been without him. Yeah, Italy at the Euros and Germany at home he didn't play, but away to Germany, Austria away, both Bosnia games he was in the team.

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I agree he was slow but I don't agree that he was uncomfortable on the ball or reluctant to receive it. I think that has been his greatest quality for us in recent years. He has been willing to take possession in all situations, particularly situations where those around him would be unable to retain the ball (e.g. Hendrick).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I agree he was slow but I don't agree that he was uncomfortable on the ball or reluctant to receive it. I think that has been his greatest quality for us in recent years. He has been willing to take possession in all situations, particularly situations where those around him would be unable to retain the ball (e.g. Hendrick).
    Austria away is bad example tbh. They were all over us when he was in the pitch. He goes off injured and boom we are all over them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    What Glen Whelan did over the years in an Ireland shirt, did not work by any stretch of the imagination. Yet he kept doing the same thing game in and game out and was hoping, I assume, for a different result? Someone pointed out earlier that it is not his fault he was picked all the time. Absolutely true. And also true that he was and is a patriot. But in terms of ability, that's a different story. Glen Whelan is like a multitude of Irish players over the years who were not of international standard but who benefitted from a reluctance by managers to try out an alternative player, or play someone in a different role.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Austria away is bad example tbh. They were all over us when he was in the pitch. He goes off injured and boom we are all over them.
    i suggest you have another look... austria pummelled us for the last 15 mins or so of that game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well for the last two years McCarthy has been playing a different sport because it's rarely been football. And I'd hardly say most of our better results have been without him. Yeah, Italy at the Euros and Germany at home he didn't play, but away to Germany, Austria away, both Bosnia games he was in the team.
    He didn't play in Stockholm, definitely one of our better performances around that time, probably our best. He didn't play in Cardiff either and, as Diggs says, Vienna is a strange example given he went off injured after 24 minutes. Even the Germany away game he went off after 54. Granted we conceded afterwards and needed to chase they game, but we easily played our best football in that match without him. I'll reluctantly give you Bosnia in terms of results, but we were pretty poor over there and he was dreadful that night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Sorry but we've been watching a different Glenn.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast