Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Whelan

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Most improved Irish player of the last 12 months. Thought he was outstanding again last night and that Ireland without him were poor.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    Most improved Irish player of the last 12 months. Thought he was outstanding again last night and that Ireland without him were poor.
    Couldnt agree more, has really grown into the role which is commendable considering he hasnt had an experienced head beside him. The midfield fell apart last night after he went off. Great to see him progressing so well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It was kind of funny in his interview the last day as well. He said that he didn't care how much of the ball Brazil have, as long as they don't score! He's Trap's boy alright!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    turns out Trap knows more about judging a player than we do!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    turns out Trap knows more about judging a player than we do!
    You would wonder why McShane gets so many games so.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    You would wonder why McShane gets so many games so.
    i actually think mcshane is a decent centre back..? trap playing him right back does the lad no favours.. certianly not good enough to start thou. sledge, josh, dunne and wilson are better players

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    i actually think mcshane is a decent centre back..? trap playing him right back does the lad no favours.. certianly not good enough to start thou. sledge, josh, dunne and wilson are better players
    I have a feeling McShane might yet come good. He needs to improve certain aspects of his game, hes not the quickest so needs to be very sharp with his positioning. He also needs to cut out the howler a game he is averaging at the moment. Off the top of my head, he has made considerable howlers against Brazil, Wales and Montenegro in recent times (some might say the France goal was a howler as well). These howlers are generally occuring from silly decisions that if he can eradicate I think he may yet prove very useful.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I have a feeling McShane might yet come good. He needs to improve certain aspects of his game, hes not the quickest so needs to be very sharp with his positioning. He also needs to cut out the howler a game he is averaging at the moment. Off the top of my head, he has made considerable howlers against Brazil, Wales and Montenegro in recent times (some might say the France goal was a howler as well). These howlers are generally occuring from silly decisions that if he can eradicate I think he may yet prove very useful.
    I havent looked but I would say the early pages of the Richard Dunne thread might be similar to thoughts on McShane now. Just hope McShane develops in the same way.

As for Glenn Whelan I thought he was excellent last night and he seems to have a growing presence out there now. When he came on the scene first at start of last campaign I thought he looked too lightweight. I dont know if its just my perception of him but he seems to look bigger and stronger out there now
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    Whelan has totally won me over since the start of this qualifying campaign. Fair play to him. His tears after scoring against Italy brought a lump to my throat.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Whelan is a far better player than 2 years ago, he has learned well from his experience in the first team., kudos to Trap on that one. McShane on the other hand is getting worse as time goes on and Trap needs to examine himself about picking McShane ahead of Steve Finnan also Kilbane should not have played last night and should be retired at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yapster View Post
    Whelan is a far better player than 2 years ago, he has learned well from his experience in the first team., kudos to Trap on that one. McShane on the other hand is getting worse as time goes on and Trap needs to examine himself about picking McShane ahead of Steve Finnan also Kilbane should not have played last night and should be retired at this stage.
    positive words from yaPpster IM PROUD OF YOU MAN! i still think mcshane has it in him to come good. as for killer definitly shouldnt be there but can anyone blame him for wanting to play on for as long as he can?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Judging by the amount of playing time Finnan has had at Portsmouth, he's either not making the grade or still has serious fitness issues. I've seen him subbed off at half time a couple of times, so that could very well be the case. If so, Trap is well-advised to try and develop Kelly - after yesterday's performance, he's likely ahead of McShane in the running.

Whelan has become a massive, massive player for us and for Stoke. I honestly didn't see it when Trap started picking him - when we were being torn apart by Serbia and Colombia, I genuinely thought he wasn't going to cut it, but his last few performances have been great and he's developing a handy knack of arriving late in the box, and we know he can finish...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    I thought he played well with Steven Reid beside him, and suffered the most when Reid was injured again. Against Brazil he showed how far he has come, and it was Andrews who suffered from the loss of his midfield partner.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think Andrews' energy levels dropped a bit too - I was confused when Whelan came off instead of him, seeing as Andrews played 90 minutes on Sunday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I think Andrews' energy levels dropped a bit too - I was confused when Whelan came off instead of him, seeing as Andrews played 90 minutes on Sunday.
    I agree. I was surprised when Whelan came off instead of Andrews.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    positive words from yaPpster IM PROUD OF YOU MAN! i still think mcshane has it in him to come good. as for killer definitly shouldnt be there but can anyone blame him for wanting to play on for as long as he can?
    thanx acorn but it's not positive it's a fact. I wish I could believe you about McShane but watching him last night showed that he is clueless at this level. I prefer Kelly though I have my reservations about him too. I just can't understand why Kilbane was picked.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I thought he played well with Steven Reid beside him, and suffered the most when Reid was injured again. Against Brazil he showed how far he has come, and it was Andrews who suffered from the loss of his midfield partner.
    spot on. Roles have been reversed almost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I think Pulis didn't want Whelan to play a full 90 minutes. Andrews had played a game at Anfield on Sunday so it was asking a lot of him to have the fitness levels to last a full 90 minutes.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    I think Pulis didn't want Whelan to play a full 90 minutes. Andrews had played a game at Anfield on Sunday so it was asking a lot of him to have the fitness levels to last a full 90 minutes.
    Thought it was mentioned somewhere that Whelan took a knock, but am not certain. Was very disappointed with Gibson, he was ineffective as he was in Paris, I know hes young but for a lad that needs to make a breakthrough at Man Yoo he needs to start imposing him a bit more.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I just can't understand why Kilbane was picked.
    Perhaps because he's the best available option for the left full back position?

I'm not a big fan of "blooding young players" in matches like these. I think you should always play the best XI available to you, no matter what the situation. If players are good enough, then they'll break into the team themselves.

Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast