Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Whelan

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Funnily enough whenever I go to a game there is a moron in the crowd!!
    Oh Tricky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    Kevin Moron?

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Glenn Whelan is a bang average midfield stopper and nothing more.

Is it ok that i say that on this forum?
    Yeah man, they call gambling a disease, but it's the only disease where you can win a bunch of money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Don't flatter yourself Crumbo, you might be the Donald Trump of the ladies thread, but Yard Of Pace dictates the controversy levels around here pal.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Don't flatter yourself Crumbo, you might be the Donald Trump of the ladies thread, but Yard Of Pace dictates the controversy levels around here pal.
    Is what I say about Whelan controversial? I feel like the fella who was trying to convince people the world isn't flat and you won't fall off the edge if you ever reached it......a bit like a Glenn Whelan pass sailing aimlessly over the sideline for an opposition throw.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Is what I say about Whelan controversial? I feel like the fella who was trying to convince people the world isn't flat and you won't fall off the edge if you ever reached it......a bit like a Glenn Whelan pass sailing aimlessly over the sideline for an opposition throw.
    The points in your case against Whelan are not controversial but have been over-egged and round here folks like their eggs sunny side up when the occasion calls for it.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Stoke currently 1-0, Arnautovic 45', in the league cup semi final v Liverpool.
    Whelan and Walther playing.

Also Whelan is the Stoke captain, which says something, ie he is captain.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 26/01/2016 at 8:26 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Whelan's been rock solid again. There was one instance in the second half where he moved across expecting Firmino to cut in but he shot to the near post, but other than that done everything right.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    If Glenn was a 24 y/o uncapped or fringe player what would people here be saying about him?

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    At 24 Glenn was a pup, he's a late bloomer. Glenn is doing very well, he is assured and effective in most everything he is involved with. In this game Liverpool are a team stripped of most everything that one use to associate with Liverpool, emasculated might be an apt description.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Scored his penalty in the shootout, as did Walters, but the hoofers in their team let them down.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    We would be saying he is a 24 y/o uncapped or fringe player, who has great potential to be a top class player and captain, of course some would be saying he was immobile, only passes backwards and can't tackle.

The debate continues to this day

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Missed the penalties, I assume Walters scored.(he got first) I Will have a youtube at it.

Last edited by tricky_colour; 26/01/2016 at 9:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It was a shame really as an Everton v Stoke final would have been a bit of a win-win. It'll probably end up being Liverpool v Man City I suppose.

Stoke were by far the better side as well, especially in the second half, but seemed to settle for what they had once Arnautovic went off with about twenty minutes left. He was having a brilliant second half. I was thinking they'd need to win it in normal/extra time as Liverpool have a freakishly good record in shoot-outs, and with Bojan, Arnautovic and Adam the players that had been replaced they were down three guys you'd be fairly confident would score their penalties, not that things are ever that straightforward.

Klopp said that Stoke reverted to their old style, Butland to Crouch all night, I really don't know what game he was watching. They went direct at times for sure, but whatever decent football was produced on the night, it was by the Potters. The were electric for the first twenty minutes of the second half and had something like 60% possession at half time, hardly reflective of a team that had resorted to hoofing.

Whelan really came into his own in the second half once the game was stretched as Stoke drove forward. Despite having a couple of his YOP described passes thrown in, he was instrumental in restricting Liverpool to... well to pretty much nothing!

Walters was a constant menace also, he could have easily got on the scoresheet as he had at least four chances, two in each half that I can remember. To be fair, three of the four were barely half chances with the best one in the first half where he pulled his shot wide when through on Mignolet from a tight angle. He telegraphed two shots that Sakho blocked in the second half when maybe he could have been a bit more clever and faked the shots to work a better position, as Sakho had was totally exposed having lunged in front of him. How does that guy get on the French team by the way?

As unlucky as they probably were on the night, I suppose Stoke can't have many complaints overall. Their goal was clearly offside and they totally underperformed in the first leg, that's where the tie was lost in hindsight.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 27/01/2016 at 7:33 AM.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    He was very bad last night especially in the first half.he got dispossessed too easily on 3 occasions and a couple of misplaced passes when he actually tried to go forward or sideways. I now realise its an inability under pressure, nothing more nothing less. As usual always going for the easy lass straight back to defence, on one ocassuon if he turned to his left there was space in the middle and a possible counter.he just goes for the simple pass back to the defender....the defender then hoofs it. Defenders look for an out ball, tbey expect the midfielder to turn and move the ball forward not send it back again especially if players around, more often than not this leads to a defender just hoofing it forward - which is what we see so often with Glenn and Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I agree with a lot of that, but he'll never be a 'turn and use it' type of midfield playmaker. There's no point in us even considering that at this stage, we just know we're not going to get it. I'm surprised it's only now you're realising this Paul, that it's an inability under pressure, what else would it be?

I thought he had very little to do in the first half, seeing as he job is making it difficult for the opponents once the reach the attacking third mainly. Liverpool were obliging enough to make it difficult for themselves, and Stoke weren't pouring bodies forward at this stage anyway. The second half was completely different, especially the first twenty minutes where I though he got through an awful lot of good work, closing down, interceptions, tackles, etc. All the stuff he gets paid for I suppose.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I agree with a lot of that, but he'll never be a 'turn and use it' type of midfield playmaker. There's no point in us even considering that at this stage, we just know we're not going to get it. I'm surprised it's only now you're realising this Paul, that it's an inability under pressure, what else would it be?

I thought he had very little to do in the first half, seeing as he job is making it difficult for the opponents once the reach the attacking third mainly. Liverpool were obliging enough to make it difficult for themselves, and Stoke weren't pouring bodies forward at this stage anyway. The second half was completely different, especially the first twenty minutes where I though he got through an awful lot of good work, closing down, interceptions, tackles, etc. All the stuff he gets paid for I suppose.
    Me also, I had never realised that our age old historical inability to play the ball out was due to the ill effects of the opposition pressing us high up, along with our lack of technical ability.
    Now that I have been made aware, it's certainly a revelation, almost a liberating revelation that has set me free from the bondage of ignorance, just to realise now how opposition teams could come to lansdowne rd, press us high up the pitch and we would end up hoofing or coughing up the ball. The penny had never dropped that our CM and back 4 x might lack the technical wherewithal.

On a more serious note, did you see Glenn shipping that ugly tackle and didn't make the slightest bit of fuss over it, just got up and back into position, his 2nd half performance was excellent.

How does that guy (Sahko) get on the French team by the way?
    motm according to the man from the bbc (website)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    motm according to the man from the bbc (website)
    I've seen him praised elsewhere as well! People love their dramatic last ditch stuff. He made some good blocks, no doubt. He's a total ball watcher, clumsy and unbelievably awkward in possession*. He was poor for (at least) two of Norwich's goals at the weekend and had a horror show in the 3-0 defeat to Watford a few weeks ago, that's just some of the obvious stuff I remember. I have been wondering for a long time why Koscielny and Varane isn't France's preferred partnership but they did ship four goals to Belgium when paired in a friendly. I don't know what their other options are.

*There are some 'successful passes %' stats that contradict this also, but I know what I see!

Yeah I noticed that with Whelan and the tackle, not like 'Big Jon' crying about his torn sock

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If Sakho was Irish we'd love him. A defender in the Richard Dunne mould of being caught out for pace and positioning but saving the day with a desperate lunge.

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast