Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Whelan

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    I agree with you but just wishful thinking on my part. Trapp has maintained a very rigid formation to ensure we are solid through the middle (and one of the primary reasons why he can't fit Andy Reid in). I just feel that there are some games where we could take the game a little bit more to the opposition. Stephen Reid was showing glimpses of that at the start of the campaign but the current incumbents are not the same type of players.

I'm not going to question the boss though.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Andrews likes to drive forward and got ahead of the ball quite a bit in the second half against Georgia. He defends up the pitch too, looking to tackle the guy trying to develop play. I think solidity is definitely Trap's intention for midfield but the media perception of two holding style players isn't right IMO.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Just watched the highlights on MOTD. Great strike by Whelan and unlucky with the effort when he hit the post. Agree that him and Andrews (along with Gibson) have the added benefit of having the ability to shoot from distance. Remember being touted really highly at Man City (where he was touted as an attacking midfielder drawing parallels with Scholes! - maybe not) and still think he has the ability to develop further providing Pulis can overcome his big, strong and African central midfield policy. Watched him and Andrew closely on the replay of the Georgia game and honestly thought he did little wrong. Mad how with the development of lower league players (Whelan & Andrews) along with the development of Youth (Garvan, McCarthy & O'Toole) our much maligned midfield options are looking increasingly more improved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Irish Wolf View Post
    Watched him and Andrew closely on the replay of the Georgia game and honestly thought he did little wrong.
    Agreed I was surprised to hear/read some of the stick he got after the game. Whelan got forward quite a bit too in that game.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quite funny that the commentator was declaring the game over when the second goal went in "three points for Villa...etc". Whelan was probably little more than an inch off target when he hit the post.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Quite funny that the commentator was declaring the game over when the second goal went in "three points for Villa...etc". Whelan was probably little more than an inch off target when he hit the post.
    I was gonna stick that in the "memorable commentary" thread. It was Pearson I think but watching the MOTD highlights from the minute Carew scored it was....

"Well thats sealed the points for Villa"
    "Champions league spot almost assured"
    "no way back for Stoke"
    etc..etc....

Hindsight a wonderful thing but it was pretty funny watching it last night.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Irish Wolf View Post
    Watched him and Andrew closely on the replay of the Georgia game and honestly thought he did little wrong
    He did little full stop.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegal View Post
    He did little full stop.
    He did little for his goal on Sunday he just got in the the right place at the right time, thus making it fairly easy for himeslf. Often the 'simple' stuff can go unnoticed but it played a big part in the result. I've not seen him make any blunders in what I have seen of him so far, which is very important in the role he plays, he is not a striker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    He did little for his goal on Sunday he just got in the the right place at the right time, thus making it fairly easy for himeslf. Often the 'simple' stuff can go unnoticed but it played a big part in the result. I've not seen him make any blunders in what I have seen of him so far, which is very important in the role he plays, he is not a striker.
    No but he is a central midfielder so I'd expect him to be involved. In the last 3 (at least) Ireland games at Croke Park he hasn't got tackles in, broken up play, looked for possession or used it well. I didn't see his goal the last day but I have seen Stoke a few times in the past couple of months and he's been just as poor for them as he has been for us (imo of course). It was hardly surprising that he was dropped with almost immediate effect on Diao's return from injury despite many saying he deserved credit for 'winning' his place back when it was clearly circumstantial as opposed to a good run of form. I'd say something if he was been kept out of their team by a decent player. I'm sorry but I see nothing in him so far but for Ireland's sake I hope I'm totally blind.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 03/03/2009 at 9:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He certainly looked for possession against Georgia. He's not a brilliant player but he's been very good in a few games for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    He certainly looked for possession against Georgia. He's not a brilliant player but he's been very good in a few games for us.
    Thought Andrews wanted the ball alright and was decent enough. Whelan imo was absolutely useless and not for the first or second time either. Obviously have to agree to disagree about him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Thought Andrews wanted the ball alright and was decent enough. Whelan imo was absolutely useless and not for the first or second time either. Obviously have to agree to disagree about him.
    Thats how i saw it too BL.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He did little full stop.
    He is the antithesis of McGeady. Whelan is cautious and plays defensively and makes sure he does little wrong. McGeady is attack minded and constantly looks to beat players etc. Which means he often loses the ball.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    He is the antithesis of McGeady. Whelan is cautious and plays defensively and makes sure he does little wrong. McGeady is attack minded and constantly looks to beat players etc. Which means he often loses the ball.
    Well I think that more a case of the holding midfielders role being the antithesis of the attacking wingers to be fair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well I think that more a case of the holding midfielders role being the antithesis of the attacking wingers to be fair.
    True but I'm referring to the way each of the players are percieved. Whelan did little wrong, McGeady lost a lot of possession. Some supporters will look at Whelan against Georgia and Cyprus and say he did little wrong whereas like you said he did little full stop. They'll look at McGeady and they'll concentrate on his many mistakes and slam him eventhough he was one of our few creative options.

Personally I wish we didn't have a holding midfielder against the 'weaker' sides at home but if it works albeit ugly then so be it.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    True but I'm referring to the way each of the players are percieved. Whelan did little wrong, McGeady lost a lot of possession. Some supporters will look at Whelan against Georgia and Cyprus and say he did little wrong whereas like you said he did little full stop. They'll look at McGeady and they'll concentrate on his many mistakes and slam him eventhough he was one of our few creative options.
    Ya I get you now. Totally agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Personally I wish we didn't have a holding midfielder against the 'weaker' sides at home but if it works albeit ugly then so be it.
    A holding midfielder is a very broad term though (Stutts will back me up there ). Celtic's new little gem Marc Crosas is a holding midfielder but he's also one of the most technically gifted and tactically astute players in Scotland. He turns Celtic from average/poor into good/excellent by keeping games flowing, demanding the ball off his teammates, always being available for a pass, knowing what his next pass will be even when he hasn't got the ball, etc.

All the above is tactical and it does my head in listening to almost every pundit in Britain and Ireland talk about technical inferiority. Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick, Beckham, J.Cole, etc. are not technically limited. Most midfielders on these 2 islands are tactically limited.

Anyway, sorry about that rant but I just wish something could be done about the coaching here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    A holding midfielder is a very broad term though (Stutts will back me up there ). Celtic's new little gem Marc Crosas is a holding midfielder but he's also one of the most technically gifted and tactically astute players in Scotland. He turns Celtic from average/poor into good/excellent by keeping games flowing, demanding the ball off his teammates, always being available for a pass, knowing what his next pass will be even when he hasn't got the ball, etc.

All the above is tactical and it does my head in listening to almost every pundit in Britain and Ireland talk about technical inferiority. Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick, Beckham, J.Cole, etc. are not technically limited. Most midfielders on these 2 islands are tactically limited.

Anyway, sorry about that rant but I just wish something could be done about the coaching here.
    have to agree well from an irish perspective anyway. whenever i have played against mainland european teams, and these include PSG, Hamburg, PSV, there was never a big gap between the technical ability of the players but they had much more awarness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    whenever i have played against mainland european teams, and these include PSG, Hamburg, PSV, there was never a big gap between the technical ability of the players but they had much more awarness.
    In real life or on a simulated game?
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Another "ineffectual" game from Whelan tonight - only setting up both goals.

The lad is a simple player playing in the water-carrying role to bring others into play - which he does well. More importantly he has proven in the last couple of games (as he did in his first couple of our campaign) that he has good positional sense having that vital ability to help create something out of nothing, which is a bonus seeing as he is meant to be playing in a defensive role.

Not saying he's the best player in the world, however he deserves our support. It's easy to criticise when criticism is being looked for.

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast