Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast

Thread: Glenn Whelan

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    742 Posts
    Effectively a move to a League One team. Would have McCarthy ahead of him if fit obviously, but if Cullen and Molumby are playing regularly in the championship this season they should now move in front of him in the pecking order as well.

There must have been no championship interest in him at all for him to end up there.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Leaves Hearts by mutual consent - https://www.the42.ie/glenn-whelan-4-4955981-Jan2020/

Great choice of photo to be fair.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    742 Posts
    Reportedly refused to do any interviews or media work during his time at Hearts. Supposedly had a bad attitude there and wasn't a good trainer etc.

Nonetheless a short term contract for a League 1 or League 2 team should guarantee his starting spot against Slovakia.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Manager certainly wasn't impressed by him going by the criticism in the linked article, but then again few in that club to be impressed by.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Reportedly refused to do any interviews or media work during his time at Hearts. Supposedly had a bad attitude there and wasn't a good trainer etc.
    yet he managed 17 appearances in four months and appeared to be doing quite well from the accounts I read.
    more likely to do with club finances or using him as a scapegoat for a rubbish season so far.
    i've never known Whelan to be anything other than a dedicated pro.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    742 Posts
    I certainly wouldn't put it past that particular club to pull something like that, but realistically they had a very poor squad and a bad run of injuries so he was always likely to get games there. I don't think the reviews of his performances had been so good recently and then the manager removed him from the squad completely so clearly something not right.

Hearts are bottom of a league that contains three of four teams that would be Non-League level in England and he wasn't standing out even at that level, so given that we have at least three better options in his position, hopefully we will be moving on from Glenn now.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Did you watch any of his recent games for us? He has been a damn sight better than those beside him in the middle in the last 2 or 3 games.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Hearts are bottom of a league that contains three of four teams that would be Non-League level in England and he wasn't standing out even at that level, so given that we have at least three better options in his position, hopefully we will be moving on from Glenn now.
    in the papers this morning that he received 5 man of the match awards in the 8 home games he played for hearts

daily record comment on his recent performance at home v rangers:
    Back in from start and was Jambos’ best performer in middle of park up until pulling up with a hamstring problem after 26 minutes. Replaced by Andy Irving and his experience badly missed
    Last edited by jbyrne; 08/01/2020 at 7:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Given the harsh nature of the manager's comments, you have to presume there is an off-field issue between them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,305 Posts
    Whelan interviewed in the independent: https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38842836.html

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    I've worked with people like that manager before. From my experiences they are out of their depth and try compensate for their deficiencies by being a bully or a bell end

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    899 Posts
    That struck me too. Single out a senior player whose reputation stands out among a squad of weaker players, but who has only months left on his contract so is cheap to get rid of, to scare the squad (a lot of lower league journeymen and young players) into performing better and show what a hard man the new manager is. That said, I think any hopes that Whelan will get a Championship team are fanciful. His best days are long behind him.
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 08/01/2020 at 9:21 AM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Found a summation (not signing up to the Indo): https://punditarena.com/football/ois...hearts-exit-2/

Hearts are floundering in a lot of ways if Whelan's comments on their admin side are true. I understand the manager has told the team captain he has no place there either. Seems like a desperate attempt to clear perceived deadwood and overpaid players to try and avoid relegation.
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 08/01/2020 at 9:25 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    899 Posts
    The headline is 'It feels like I have been thrown under a bus'. He says Stendal had a go at him from day one and nitpicked on stuff Whelan was doing in training. He highlighted a game against Celtic where they were 2-0 down at halftime, when he came on as a sub: the game finished 2-0, but Stendal still had a go at him. The stuff that fits with Diggs246 comment on bullying is that Whelan was not told he was being left out of match squads, only finding out by players' group chat, and arrived in for training on the 27th to find he wasn't in either the match recovery or non-playing training groups. He mentions that he got five MotM awards in eight home games and accuses Hearts administrators of being very amateurish.

The tone is that he's surprised and hurt and feels he can do a better job elsewhere.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    just had a bit of a read of the hearts message board.. whelan's departure thread has over 300 post so far...

Seems the view at best is he start Ok, tailed off as it became clear the team was pretty poor and his ability to impact it by really really trying was limited. New coach comes in, wants a more attacking style, decides to move Glenn on. What's really clear, and poorly understood by the hearts fans is that hearts have dealt with it pretty badly. Glenn's interview seems to indicate that the new guy didn't really engage with him on the topic and "not part of the plans" equated to "not worth speaking to" which doesn't surprise me much for the football world at a lower level when no relationships exist. Stender doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will end up at man city in 3 years time. Christophe Berra shown the door as well in much the same way and he's been a hearts man thru and thru for years. (even when I used to live in scotland)

what it does highlight is that in a poor side Glenn is not able to change the game/make things much better. he'll need game time to contribute to any irish fixtures, i suspect he'll rock up in league 1, lower championship but I hope he's match fit....

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Effectively a move to a League One team. Would have McCarthy ahead of him if fit obviously, but if Cullen and Molumby are playing regularly in the championship this season they should now move in front of him in the pecking order as well.

There must have been no championship interest in him at all for him to end up there.
    James McCarthy and Josh Cullen would be a great DM pair

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Gets a big mention from manager Joey Barton for his contribution this year as Bristol Rovers earned promotion on goals scored on the final day after a 7-0 win (they needed to win by 5). 21 minutes into the final day they were 1-0 up and Northampton were 3-0 up, so they were seven goals behind! Rovers also made a sub in the fifteenth and the nineteenth minutes of injury time, so seems an eventful game.

Fourth promotion of his career, at the age of 38.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I read there was a mass pitch invasion when Bristol got the required number of goals, the ref took the teams off the pitch until order was restored, hence 20 minutes of injury time.

23. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I read there was a mass pitch invasion when Bristol got the required number of goals, the ref took the teams off the pitch until order was restored, hence 20 minutes of injury time.
    That seemed very unfair to me. It gave Rovers a clear advantage. I'm not sure if the club were censured over this, but they should be.

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast