Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Whelan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Whelan's sending off was the turning point, but the sending off wasn't his fault.

The general feeling about Walters is that he works very hard and contributes a lot to the team overall, although people are frustrated with his performance once he gets in front of goal of late. He's hardly despised, even if he's not as popular as, say, Ricardo Fuller or Sanli Tuncay were.

Not many teams are up to much when down to 9 men for over half the game, unfortunately
    Tuncay was a very underrated player imo.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Just seen it on MOTD - a softer sending off you won't see. Wilson can't have any complaints.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Seems he has shaved his mustache off, it's like Samson and Delilah all over again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Damn. I had him entered in the Tom Selleck contest.
    Another $100 out the window.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Hopefully Whelan's red card gets rescinded.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It can't get rescinded as it was two yellows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It can't get rescinded as it was two yellows.
    Luckily, they each only miss one game and as it's the festive period, rotation is the name of the game.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-...ce/suspensions
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 27/12/2013 at 4:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think so - Stoke have been going better with him in the team than they have at any other point in the season. I don't think Palacios is going to oust him, and a midfield with Adam and Ireland in it would lack bite. Wilson will be needed at the back once he returns - they essentially only have one centre half right now, and Shawcross looked very uncomfortable coming off against United and in the clips I saw of him on Newcastle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I wonder where Wilson would be better suited playing from an Irish perspective with the Euro 2016 campaign on the horizon; left back or centre back?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Wilson will be in the centre for Stoke when available for the next while I think, he's a better option there than Cameron, and Huth is going to be out for a few more weeks unfortunately. He has looked error-prone in that position though. I wouldn't have him as a centre half if other options were available

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Very unlikely to happen but Whelan is being linked with a move to Norwich if Stoke sign Cattermole. It's easy to link Cattermole with a team like Stoke but he played 80 minutes in the win over Man Utd.

And Whelan has been used fairly regular by Hughes after a rocky start.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    And he scored against Italy which is more than Robbie Keane has ever done, apart from his goal against Italy. The late equalising goal. In Italy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    And he scored against Italy which is more than Robbie Keane has ever done, apart from his goal against Italy. The late equalising goal. In Italy.
    I really don't get the opprobrium over my comments about Robbie Keane. He has a fantastic goalscoring record and is a loyal servant to his country. I didn't even really criticise him. 62 goals or not, he is open to the same analysis and judgment as any other player. I simply scrutinised that a comparatively quite small number of Keane's goals come against top seeded teams (and I included Wales and Israel). Yes I am aware that we are lacking in other strikers that can score goals but Keane must have over 50 competitive starts where Long has half-a-dozen and Stokes is untested. It's not even just about the goals. It's about his age, his overall play and where he fits into a progressive thinking formation and strategy.

As for Whelan. Fantastic goal against Italy and in hindsight himself and Andrews did as good as they could reasonably be expected to do, considering the circumstances, during WC 2010 qualification, but his performances have severely regressed over the last two campaigns. We have conceded a lot of important goals because of his mistakes but it's not his fault. Everyone but the person that mattered could see that he needed to be dropped. I am Paul Green's biggest opponent but even he looked like he could do a better job over his last 2 or 3 starts.

That Whelan goal against Italy also serves to remind how much Ireland missed Liam Lawrence over the last couple years. After his expulsion and Duff's retirement, we lost a lot of our threat from set-pieces. I always thought that Lawrence had the physicality and passing ability to do a job in central midfield as well.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    That would be the tandem goal in Bari, Keane and Hunt.
    Robbie skiied a chance later on, would that not count as nr 4 in his missed chances?
    If i were Robbie, that would be the one that would have me waking up in the middle of the night in a clamour of sweat, 'if only I had buried that one as well, what a night it would have been'.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I really don't get the opprobrium over my comments about Robbie Keane. He has a fantastic goalscoring record and is a loyal servant to his country. I didn't even really criticise him. 62 goals or not, he is open to the same analysis and judgment as any other player. I simply scrutinised that a comparatively quite small number of Keane's goals come against top seeded teams (and I included Wales and Israel). Yes I am aware that we are lacking in other strikers that can score goals but Keane must have over 50 competitive starts where Long has half-a-dozen and Stokes is untested. It's not even just about the goals. It's about his age, his overall play and where he fits into a progressive thinking formation and strategy.

As for Whelan. Fantastic goal against Italy and in hindsight himself and Andrews did as good as they could reasonably be expected to do, considering the circumstances, during WC 2010 qualification, but his performances have severely regressed over the last two campaigns. We have conceded a lot of important goals because of his mistakes but it's not his fault. Everyone but the person that mattered could see that he needed to be dropped. I am Paul Green's biggest opponent but even he looked like he could do a better job over his last 2 or 3 starts.

That Whelan goal against Italy also serves to remind how much Ireland missed Liam Lawrence over the last couple years. After his expulsion and Duff's retirement, we lost a lot of our threat from set-pieces. I always thought that Lawrence had the physicality and passing ability to do a job in central midfield as well.
    You have come to the wrong place if you expect agreement on the general consensus of The Ireland team and its players that you would expect.

I for one love Robbie and really worry about the day he no longer takes to the field for Ireland, but most of what you said is a fair assessment and what the reasoned Irish football fan would agree with also.

Having said that, what would robbie have been capable of for Tier 1 team, I imagine he wouldnt have got the chances he got with Ireland as he would have been dropped a lot sooner mainly down to the chances he would have missed.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    I really don't get the opprobrium over my comments about Robbie Keane..
    More ridicule than opprobrium.
    When you litter your critique of Robbie with statements like 'you wouldn't bank on him to score a penalty' and use the only miss as an example.
    When after 3 years you still stubbornly cling to a cynical interpretation of a quote taken in isolation and ignore every other statement Robbie has made on the matter of his non retirement.
    Why? because you know better, hand on ears, 'I'm not listening any more, I have my quote and Im sticking with it'.
    That translates into a subjective agenda that deserves ridicule.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    More ridicule than opprobrium.
    When you litter your critique of Robbie with statements like 'you wouldn't bank on him to score a penalty' and use the only miss as an example.
    When after 3 years you still stubbornly cling to a cynical interpretation of a quote taken in isolation and ignore every other statement Robbie has made on the matter of his non retirement.
    Why? because you know better, hand on ears, 'I'm not listening any more, I have my quote and Im sticking with it'.
    That translates into a subjective agenda that deserves ridicule.
    You can't have it both ways. First, the quote/s never existed. Now, it's just the one quote in isolation. It's neither. I have my doubts that Keane would settle for a place on the bench, especially seeing as he plays for LA Galaxy, and how much he's made of travelling around the globe to start for his country. I think that's reasonably fair.

I also don't think he should be a guaranteed starter for myriad reasons, not least the fact that his goalscoring record against top seeded teams is not good enough and he doesn't offer enough in his overall play to impact games.

I also, on prodding, provided a list of the amount of goals that he has/hasn't scored against top 3 seeded teams but supposedly that doesn't count for objective criticism and I still have an agenda.

You use one irrelevant comment about "penalties" and that isn't any more subjective than a quote from Keane that was the source of a lot of conjecture when it happened?

My comments don't deserve ridicule same as anyone else on the forum. We are all entitled to our beliefs no matter how much people disagree with them. No player is beyond reproach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    No player is beyond reproach.
    If we all admit athletes are human and thus no human/athlete is perfect, wouldnt Pele, Messi, Beckenbauer, George B, and Diego be close? Some on here would also list Johnser Keane.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    You can't have it both ways. First, the quote/s never existed. Now, it's just the one quote in isolation. It's neither. I have my doubts that Keane would settle for a place on the bench, especially seeing as he plays for LA Galaxy, and how much he's made of travelling around the globe to start for his country. I think that's reasonably fair.
    It's an opinion but not a fair opinion as in a rational opinion. It's an opinion about a quote which does not have a leg to stand on, completely unsupported by any other event in the last 3 years, nor any answer Robbie has given to the same question repeated to him. Barring injury he has made himself available for every match and even played through injury. Action speaks much louder than anything else, his actions as irish player and captain are beyond reproach.
    Your opinion on his quote from 2011 defines stubbornness and strongly suggests having an agenda.

I also don't think he should be a guaranteed starter for myriad reasons, not least the fact that his goalscoring record against top seeded teams is not good enough and he doesn't offer enough in his overall play to impact games.

I also, on prodding, provided a list of the amount of goals that he has/hasn't scored against top 3 seeded teams but supposedly that doesn't count for objective criticism and I still have an agenda.

You use one irrelevant comment about "penalties" and that isn't any more subjective than a quote from Keane that was the source of a lot of conjecture when it happened?

My comments don't deserve ridicule same as anyone else on the forum. We are all entitled to our beliefs no matter how much people disagree with them. No player is beyond reproach.
    Most posters here don't think Robbie should be an automatic starter.
    You asked why you got ridicule/opprobrium, I gave you my considered opinion on that matter.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Geysir, yes I had thought of that Italy chance but in my opinion that was a "could have scored" rather than a "should have scored". I don't think he skied it as you said. In fact he caught it really well and it didn't dip in time. Has Keane left other chances out there? No question. He could easily have 75 goals. But so what?

We can continue to let TOWK repeat his opinion over and over, and let him add other meaningless comparisons to prolific goalscorers, nothing is going to change. I and others have conceded that there is some sense in what he us saying and agreed with large parts of his argument, but in my opinion if Keane won't offer a goal threat against a top seeded team I can't see how an inferior goalscorer can be expected to have a better chance. And even then, it's not the opinion that deserves ridicule, it's the presentation of the argument. The Shevchenko comparison at Euro 2012 was odd to say the least, as was the suggestion that Ukraine throughout the 2000s were a team of nobodies carried by one player, whereas we were in some way better. That struck me as simply a mean-spirited attempt to try and belittle Keane.

Wrt other prolific goalscorers at small to mid sized countries, I'd say that they have benefitted from their international sides being quasi club sides. So Keane's record doesn't mean he must be one of the worlds leading strikers, but man is it some record nonetheless. Suker is another who springs to mind.

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast