Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Whelan

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    http://www.newstalk.ie/news/sport/li...elan-approach/

This was something that crossed my mind (not specifically Whelan), that with Roy in charge, Liverpool might actually consider more Irish players. Duff....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Well I suppose he's a much cheaper version of Mascherano. Would be a great move alright

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I can see the headlines now: "Reds sign Ronnie Whelan's son Glenn"

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    Well I suppose he's a much cheaper version of Mascherano. Would be a great move alright
    while hes not as good an all round player as Mascherano I reckon hes a better passer of the ball than him.... and hes definately a better player than Lucas
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    There are very few players who play like Mascherano. Whelan's one of a few players who has the discipline to do the job but I don't think he'd be particularly brilliant at it.

edit: yes, I realise how ridiculous it is to describe anything Mascherano does as "disciplined"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    while hes not as good an all round player as Mascherano I reckon hes a better passer of the ball than him.... and hes definately a better player than Lucas
    I was going to say you're a bit off with both comments, but maybe not. I like Glenn, and from day one I've been impressed with him in an Irish shirt. His simple passing reminds me a lot of Alonso, the best and most complete passer of a ball I've seen in the Premiership, and he does like a shot as well. In this regard, yes he is ahead of Mascherano in this regard. However, destructively he is a good deal below the level of Mascherano, not a crime in itself, as Mascherano is unrivalled in what he does in the Premiership I believe. Glenn is nowhere near as fast as Mascherano either, who is deceptively quick and covers ground very well.
    As for Lucas, I personally think the lad is pretty good, and last season was excellent along with Reina when no other Liverpool players decided to turn up.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    At least Vieira has given Glenn a stamp of approval.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Is a destructive player like Mascherano necessary anyway? A dynamic midfield of Gerrard, Lucas and A.N. Other would be perfectly capable of doing a job. If you have a player of Mascherano's quality, it would be foolish not to play to his strengths, but if he leaves there's no unwritten rule that means you need a like-for-like replacement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Is a destructive player like Mascherano necessary anyway? A dynamic midfield of Gerrard, Lucas and A.N. Other would be perfectly capable of doing a job. If you have a player of Mascherano's quality, it would be foolish not to play to his strengths, but if he leaves there's no unwritten rule that means you need a like-for-like replacement.
    Not necessarily, and we've seen with Germany, Spain that you don't need to have an exclusively destructive player in order to be successful. However without one, you need your midfield trio or quartet, to be extremely disciplined, and in Steven Gerrard, LFC do not have an extremely disciplined player. They have a self-confirmed deity.
    Anyway this is going off in a tangent.

Therefore, Glenn Whelan abú!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    He's pulled out of the Argentina match unfortunately, but claims he should be fit for the start of the season. Could this mean trap will call up McCarthy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    He's pulled out of the Argentina match unfortunately, but claims he should be fit for the start of the season. Could this mean trap will call up McCarthy?
    Possibly, but I doubt it. He's playing the previous night for the U21's. With a large squad, there could be no call up at all.
    Just a real outside contender for a call up - Joey O'Brien?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I would imagine that this guarantees Paul Green a start against Argentina, I havent been as impressed by him as some others have but if he does well against Argentina I think that would show that he really is good enough for the squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'm happy enough with that. We know what Whelan can do so it'll be interesting to see how Green fares against Argentina. He's certainly decent on the ball and playing it in tight situations, which is something we've struggled with.

Incidentally, it appears Messi has snubbed the Aviva friendly to go on tour with the unofficial Catalonia side.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I'd have thought Green is Andrews' back up, Gibson being Whelan's. No?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'd have thought Green is Andrews' back up, Gibson being Whelan's. No?
    I dunno, I think Andrews is a bit more attacking for us than Whelan so I would have thought that makes Gibson his back up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    They're all asked to do more or less the same job, but I'd say Green is more in the Whelan mould. Andrews is the more athletic of the two, which is probably what Gibson will become in time too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    When the squad was released, Malone reported on the McCarthy absence mentioning that due to the extended squad there would be no further additions envisaged.
    As for the like for like comparisons, I think Glenn is exclusive in our team, I'd have Andrews and Green as copies of one another, while Gibson is different to that mould of player and to Whelan, but is still finding his way (I don't think he'll turn out great - but I've been wrong before!).

I've great time for Whelan, I like the player who can collect the ball from the centre halves, distribute to the fb's, collect again and put it out wide to a winger. A tempo player. While I like Andrews as well, if we were able to upgrade on him for say, McCarthy, Clifford (or Garvan if he ever gets the break a few of us think he needs), then I think we'd really have a strong central midfield. He isn't afraid to shoot, and while not everything comes off, he does try to vary things. I think he's really underrated, and the best of the established central midfielders we have. This was best underlined in my opinion, when he went off against France in Paris. That (and O'Shea departing) were the turning points for me.

Hopefully he's fit for the start of the group.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    If we're comparing players Kingdom, I'd have Green as very similar to Whelan. A good footballer who can play the physical side as well, despite not being a giant.

Andrews is more athletic and direct, while Gibson is something completely different -- I don't think anybody really knows fully what sort of player he'll develop into.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Gibson is fat according to his thread on here so he'll probably turn into Andy Reid.

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast