Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Montenegro V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 10th September 2008 - World Cup 2010 Q

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The thing about Mont is, they leak goals, But they can also score plenty. i feel if we tighten up around the back and cut out their attacking form, we can get them on the quick break.
    Mont are gonna feel hard done by the reulst they got against bulgaria, becuase they might have had all 3 points.
    another thing is, mont's next 2 games in this group after us, are both against Italy- they play them away then home ( surely the manager is going to be thinking they will do well to take any points off them) so you can be sure they will burst their balls to get something against us.

2-1 to ireland

highlights of Mont V Bul http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMVnAVjpJSY
    Last edited by beepbeep; 07/09/2008 at 9:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by christo View Post
    I'd say we could just sneak it 2-1, that is of course if we all haven't been sucked into black hole create by the Swiss (what is it with the Swiss and not letting us qualify for an international tournament)
    what about those pesky belgians!
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
    Muhammad Ali

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Two comments on the video, how can you not sell out your ground for your first ever competitive game against high profile opponents. And, for the equaliser there were some serious diving from the bulgarians.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    Two comments on the video, how can you not sell out your ground for your first ever competitive game against high profile opponents. And, for the equaliser there were some serious diving from the bulgarians.

It was sold out.Stand that is half empty is designated for away fans and there were only 100 Bulgarians.You will come there.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Montenegrin View Post
    It was sold out.Stand that is half empty is designated for away fans and there were only 100 Bulgarians.You will come there.

Really -sounds expilcit -sorry couldn't help it!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    backs to the wall for this 1 but i am fairly confident of at least a point and the band wagon will roll again

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I definitely think we're capable of snatching a win here, but my head says we'll draw.

Can see us taking the lead with Montenegro getting a fairly late equalizer.

Actually wouldn't mind Hunt not playing, it would force Trap into playing A. Reid

1-1.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Doyler to nab another, the lads confidence must be sky high right now which is amazing for us. I'm feeling confident of a win too. I hope if we do take the lead that we keep at them unlike the Georgia game. If we can grab a couple their heads will drop and we should go on and win comfortable enough.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think a 1-1 Draw is the best we can hope for!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    It's pleasing to read that Montenegro fancy their chances against us. It puts a bit of extra pressure on the home side and it ensures that we are motivated for this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    With Bulgaria drawing there, a draw would be acceptable.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    Agree but if we go looking for a draw we will get beaten. We need to be positive and go with same attidude as the Georgia game. I think the players will be confident in the system and if they can keep it going for the full 90 mins( which is my worry) then we will get a win. If we retreat into our shell we will concede, we always do.
    you are only a loser when you stop trying. Playing sport does not build character, it reveals it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ah don't be worrying what others got. Lets go and get rightly stuck in and come away with all 3. We need to get that "show them respect" out of our heads.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I reckon we should be looking to win this. Even though Montenegro have a few useful players it was not that long ago we were beating them when they were merged with Serbia. They should be far weaker now.

As for looking at some of the clubs their players are playing for and judging them solely by that remember that we have two champions league winners in our first 11 something which most other countries of a similar size can only dream about, irrespective of whether one of them happens to be John O'Shea. People less knowledgeable about our team probably pick him out as our outstanding player while the likes of Doyle and Hunt who play for recently relegated Reading are far more capable players in most people's minds.

If we want to qualify for the World Cup then we have to pick up points where Bulgaria have failed to do so and this is the perfect opportunity to get that ball rolling. If we lost I'd see it as a major blow to our qualification hopes while a draw would be a missed opportunity in my mind that will probably come back to haunt us.

Saying that it's hard to know how good or bad we are as Georgia looked fairly poor. Both of Montenegro's goals came from set pieces so I'd worry about us in that area.
    Last edited by youngirish; 08/09/2008 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    we shouldnt show them to much respect and worry more about our own game. ok they will be tough but pretty much all the games will be. need to go out for the win and hopefully will get it. obvisiouly there manager hasnt a clue about us but thats his problem.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I
    If we want to qualify for the World Cup then we have to pick up points that where Bulgaria have failed to do so and this is the perfect opportunity to get that ball rolling.
    Very true. It really would be a fantastic start if we could get our noses in front of Bulgaria right from the off.

Lets make no mistake about Wednesday - the "Mysterious Montenegrans" mean business and have the confidence to give us a real grilling.

Not dragging this off topic with tales from the crypt yet - Anyone else recall the "Mysterious Macedonians"? Don't have to remind anyone that we lost there 3-2 in 1997 and our qualifying hopes for Euro 2000 died there in 1999.

We do right to take nothing for granted. That said, with the element of surprise slightly removed - I'm hopeful we can turn in a composed, positive and aggressive performance. Standing off them through fear could be just as counter-productive.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    From what Ive heard and read about this team, they are good going forward but not so solid at the back. If Hungary can put 3 past them (yes in a friendly) we should at least score one. I think the key will be the defence. Be patient keep things tight at the back and we'll have a good chance.
    Im wary of Vucinic from Roma but hopefully Dunne will take care of him. Also hopefully, the euphoria of their first game last sat might have taken a bit out of them in the hope that they not be motivated to the same level for this game.
    In light of the results at the weekend, a win would put us in an excellent position heading into the cyprus game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    To clarify, I wasn't saying they should go there trying to get a draw. They should go there looking to win, as they should in every match. However, if after 90 minutes, the scores are level, it's an acceptable result, IMO.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    To clarify, I wasn't saying they should go there trying to get a draw. They should go there looking to win, as they should in every match. However, if after 90 minutes, the scores are level, it's an acceptable result, IMO.
    I agree but it could also prove later on to be a missed opportunity. It would be a disaster, however, if Montenegro beat us as they could well go into second place in the group and might then fancy their chances for qualification.

I think if we beat them it will not only give us the jump on Bulgaria but take the air out of Montenegro's sails and ensure that from then onwards they only play a secondary role in deciding who qualifies. The group imo would quickly become a 3 horse race - us, Italy and Bulgaria. The Montengro result against Bulgaria was the best possible outcome for us and we should now go and try to capitalise on it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Can I just confirm: this game is live on Setanta (only), kick off 6pm our time, yes?

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast