Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia V Ireland - Saturday, 6th September 2008 - World Cup 2010 Q - Mainz, Germany

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think most of us would prefer Reid over Whelan but it is what it is. There are 2 other threads open dealing with this situation and I for one can see the merit in Trap's thinking.

I honestly think a Reid & Reid combo would have Steven Reid playing deeper with Andy Reid dictating play further up. I'd say Trap sees a Steven Reid / Whelan combo as being more versatile and better able to dovetail. On the evidence of the first half in Norway I wouldn't disagree - our ball retention was superb, the balance was good, Steven Reid was a delight to behold and the passing was crisp, purposeful and accurate once we settled into the game.

No other contentious inclusions in my opinion. Hunt for Duff is straightforward, O'Shea & Dunne at CB is a no-brainer for me and I find it hard to understand how many here see otherwise. I liked what I saw of Delaney at LB but Kilbane was always going to start a game like this. I do have concerns that at home to Cyprus the Kilbane / Hunt combo on the left side was a shambles but hopefully it'll get better.
    Sums up exactly how I feel about it. As for the Reid issue, Trap has more or less said he'll be playing one style away and another at home depending on the type of opposition.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Sums up exactly how I feel about it. As for the Reid issue, Trap has more or less said he'll be playing one style away and another at home depending on the type of opposition.
    This isn't a true away game, got to go for the three points, got to have Reid. I would have McGeady on the bench.
    Last edited by jjppc; 04/09/2008 at 5:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Why drop McGeady though? He has the skill to cut inside and unleash a shot and Georgian players will naturally have him earmarked(right phrase?) creating more space. Andy Reid in my opinion should play, but Trapattoni is his own man, and is making what he believes is a logical decision, which I understand. However if I was to see Liam Miller making his way onto the pitch while Andy eats some curly fries and a quarter pounder on the touchline, questions will be asked.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    It does look like quite a strong team to be fair. Delighted that Hunt is going in ahead of Keogh. They look solid and as someone said above, they are all playing in their natural positions. I think they will win handily on Saturday but maybe that is just optimism on my part. I know I can't wait though, fingers crossed

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Why drop McGeady though? He has the skill to cut inside and unleash a shot and Georgian players will naturally have him earmarked(right phrase?) creating more space.
    Yet to see McGeady turn it on for Ireland, and he's easily knocked off the ball, that said he's playing and I hope he has a stormer (its about time!)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It will be interesting to see how we perform with everyone playing in the correct positions.
    No right backs playing left back and left backs at right back. No wingers up front or front men on the wing. I could go on!
    Good balance to the team. not sure of whelan but let's see what happens.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Where is Carsley ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Condex View Post
    Where is Carsley ?
    Where have you been this past week?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DotTV View Post
    It will be interesting to see how we perform with everyone playing in the correct positions.
    No right backs playing left back and left backs at right back. No wingers up front or front men on the wing. I could go on!
    Good balance to the team. not sure of whelan but let's see what happens.
    well we could be pedantic and mention kilbane but the hell with it COME ON IRELAND!!!!
    zombie/thread killer..

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    At the end of the day Trap's an experienced manager who has won trophies. If he feels Whelan's a better choice then I have no reason to doubt this is the right decision, before we even kick a ball.
    I agree. That's why he is getting the big bucks.
    But is'nt it fun that we have something to argue about while we wait for Saturday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Maybe someone has mentioned this before but I think it's refreshing that an Irish manager has the confidence to announce his intended team two days before the game. None of this codology of naming the team at the last minute in an attempt to keep the oposition guessing. Maybe the late announcement has its advantanges but as mjpcc said Trap gives us the opportunity to argue about something new over the next few days
    It also shows that he has confidence in his selection and doesn't care that the opposition have extra time to decided on the best team to play against us.
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 04/09/2008 at 7:02 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I am glad Finnan is back but he can’t be fit as he has played no competitive games for months now. Surely Kelly or Foley would have been the better option here until Finnan gets back on track. I think O’ Shea will be fine and I would rather have Delaney at left back. It’s his natural position; he is fully fit and is a big strong tall fellow, something we are generally lacking.

I am very disappointed that Andy Reid is not playing.He is ten times the player Whelan is and can do everything Whelan does but much much better. He is intelligent creative, plays regularly for his club and can get a goal from nowhere.

Anyway Trap picks the team so he knows best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Paul McGrath's take on the side, in particular the omission of Andy Reid, from NewsTalk earlier: http://media.putfile.com/Paul-McGrat...eam-VS-Georgia
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Paul McGrath's take on the side, in particular the omission of Andy Reid, from NewsTalk earlier: http://media.putfile.com/Paul-McGrat...eam-VS-Georgia
    Great stuff Tetsujin. Good interview. And I agree with McGrath that we need 6 points from these 2 games.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    Thats a very defeated attitude Dougal!
    was said with a healthy dose of sarcasim, I cant wait for the 2 games,very confident of 6 points.
    just a point on the Whelan ahead of Reid situation... I would prefer Reidy every time but at least Trapattoni has a system that he knows that he wants the team to play and he picks players that are right for that system.Compare that to Capello for England who in his last friendly just picked the english players on reputation and sent Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham out in the same midfield when its been proven that it doesnt work for them many times, square pegs in round holes rather than putting the team first
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I don't agree with the selection of Hunt. I think it goes against what Trapp has said he's trying to instill in the team in terms of retaining posession and patience. Hunt will battle and has good delivery without doubt, but has a tendency to run into walls or get to the line and get the cross in (historically a good asset admittedly but the jist of this new era it's about only putting the ball in when it's right). McGeady has show numerous times for Ireland that if the right ball is not on that he can play his way out and pass back to start the attack again. Duff has the ability to do this. And Reid we know is well able to retain posession.

I understand though that Hunt will run at them put them on the back foot, win frees and battle when we're not in posession, but I wondered about the relevance of that in this case with Kilbane playing at left full...
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Ok Prediction For Tomorrow

fingers crossed im going for a 2-0 win. think were def going to take the three points. wha ye reckon...........???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    eh not sure really. I dont want to be so optimistic so I'll say a 1-1 draw, then everything else is a bonus.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think it will be a tight game, and we will get a late win. Georgia will be tougher than some people might expect.

We can all admit the days of us expecting to beat anyone is gone, so let's all be optomistic, and i really think we can win it!!

Andy Keogh and Andy Reid to get in and change things, and we get a tight win!!!
    "as always i will be focused on coaching and training my team" Rafa B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd go for 3-1 win for us.
    Reid and Murphy to come on and change the game for the better
    We'll never die, we'll never die

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast