Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gattuso as good as Whelan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Gattuso as good as Whelan?

Trapattoni has compared Whelan to Gennaro Gattuso. If Trap thinks so, it must be so right? Therefore I think that warrants his selection in the team.

Discuss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Maby not as good as Genarro but he can offer us simular attributes maby, like no goals and lots of needless running

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Whelan is better than Gattuso. Simple as.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I concur.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He certainly didn't say Whelan is as good as Gattuso ffs.

"When I first saw Whelan, I thought immediately 'midfield'. In Italy there is a famous player, Gattuso -- for Milan he is very, very important. He is no Inzaghi, Kaka, but he is Gattuso. For us, Whelan is the same in midfield. We need a strong player."

He's basically saying Whelan isn't flashy but he has an important job to do. I never would have thought of Whelan as that combative Gattuso type but maybe he had to change as he went up to a higher level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Get more goals though.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 06/09/2008 at 5:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Maby not as good as Genarro but he can offer us simular attributes maby, like no goals and lots of needless running
    [coughs]

even though it was a howler
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Im delighted for Whealan tonight. You have people like Ciaran here claiming he does nothing and adds nothing to the team. He had an excellent game tonight and his parternship ith S. Reid looks like it has excellent potential. Looking at the game tonight i have to question what Tony Pulis is thinking by keeping him on the bench

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Absolutely delighted for Whelan tonight, I've been following his career for a long time, and tonight he showed what he can do. To categorise him as a "holding player" is doing the guy a great disservice, he breaks up attacks, makes the simple pass, hold possession, and can score. To put it bluntly, he does the simple things well, and that, is something we need to make the rest of the team function
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Whelan is showing enough to be in the team ahead of miller by a long way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    Im delighted for Whealan tonight. You have people like Ciaran here claiming he does nothing and adds nothing to the team. He had an excellent game tonight and his parternship ith S. Reid looks like it has excellent potential. Looking at the game tonight i have to question what Tony Pulis is thinking by keeping him on the bench

Think you may have inadvertantly touched on something here... Much in the same vain as Trap has left Reid out, he has his reasons and perhaps they are valid for the performance of the respective systems.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Whelan is showing enough to be in the team ahead of miller by a long way.
    by a country mile! Miller can sod off for all I care. Someone make him read Kilbane's interview last week to make him realise how lucky he is.

I'm glad most here rated Whelan's performance. I've been a fan for a while but wasn't that impressed last night, not with his use of the ball anyway. Defensively he seemed to do well. My judgment isn't always the best after watching Ireland in the pub. A combination of beer and nerves makes the games fly by.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Can someone tell me how andy reid cant get in to the team??
    He didnt even bring him on. The boys class. Much better than hunt or mcgeady.
    "Failure to Prepare. Prepare to Fail"

Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
    Can someone tell me how andy reid cant get in to the team??
    He didnt even bring him on. The boys class. Much better than hunt or mcgeady.
    there is enough threads talking about that already allstar! as long as we win games and not get beat, im leaving it up to trap's judgement on the matter and what kind of system he is trying to put in place. andy reid may just be unlucky that he doesnt fit into those plans at the minute. but how lucky are we that we have a selection headache, shows there's a bit of strenght in the team and they'll have to work hard for places. so far trap hasnt put a foot wrong, we won comfortably yesterday
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
    Muhammad Ali

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I sat in my front room with 3 friends and we watched the game together. We all thought Whelan was anonymous. Reid was the main man in midfield - far superior to Whelan and yet Beglin gives Whelan mofm WOuld we have remembered him if the goalie didn't make a howler? Whelan is a neat and tidy player but he is nothing special as time will tell. There are good reasons why his club manager doesn't play him. Comparisons at this stage with Gattuso are typical knee jerk reactions. He wasn't a success at Man City and dropped a division to Wednesday where he played well and I was disappointed to see him go but he moved sideways to another Championship side at the time in Stoke. If he was so great a Premiership side would have come in for him.

I would love to see Whelan prosper but on the edivence I have seen I would be surprised if he does but clearly it's in our interests if he does.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Whelan is linked with a loan move to Plymouth in this mornings papers.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I sat in my front room with 3 friends and we watched the game together. We all thought Whelan was anonymous. Reid was the main man in midfield - far superior to Whelan and yet Beglin gives Whelan mofm WOuld we have remembered him if the goalie didn't make a howler? Whelan is a neat and tidy player but he is nothing special as time will tell. There are good reasons why his club manager doesn't play him. Comparisons at this stage with Gattuso are typical knee jerk reactions. He wasn't a success at Man City and dropped a division to Wednesday where he played well and I was disappointed to see him go but he moved sideways to another Championship side at the time in Stoke. If he was so great a Premiership side would have come in for him.

I would love to see Whelan prosper but on the edivence I have seen I would be surprised if he does but clearly it's in our interests if he does.

thats exactly what i thought. I was told the following day he got MOTM in the pub back in london and i was like, huh? whelan are ye sure? reid was everywhere yesterday, you dont notice the off the ball and showing for hte ball on tele, but reid was constantly supporting hte back four, spraying the ball around. Was very impressed with him yesterday I have to say. HOpe to god he doesnt get injured. Whelan on the other hand did seem annoymous, but maybe i was watching a different game, like stutts, combination of beer and nerves games fly by. Have to say though its a lot easier watch an Ireland match at the match rather than on tele.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Whelan is far more an Ambrosini than a Gattuso
    Isn't that a creamed rice desert. Are you saying you are sweet on him ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I'm no fan of Gattuso but he is unfortunately for us way better than Whelan as a holding midfield player though Whelan is a better passer of the ball.

Reid is probably better than the little dwarf though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post

I had him down as probably top contender for motm before he even scored. Far from anonymous. From a purely neutral point of view, Italy's Gazzetta rated him 7/10 which was our highest. Reid got 6.5 and was described as excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast