Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Starting XI v Waterford

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Starting XI v Waterford

Anybody have any idea what the starting eleven will be against Waterford tonight?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Haven't the foggiest. I'd give you my prediction but half of them would probably be injured/suspended.

Good to see another U.C.D. fan at the board though.
    And stay out of Bumtown, ya no talent bum.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cheers,

You going to the game tonight? Would you fancy swapping text updates - I'm at the Bohs v Rovers game - have to work at it!

Would be great if someone could oblige me...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was already gone when you posted that...Still, not that it matters as I only bother getting credit once in a blue moon.

On the match - Awesome performance from the lads, the atmosphere at Belfield was as good as I can ever remember too. Johnny Martin's (if and when Tony leaves we've a ready-made replacement as captain in him) opener was also the one of the best goals to be scored at Belfield in the last few seasons.

I'm just delighted with the performance, it's been a miserable season. Tonight reminded me a lot of the 3-0 win over Drogheda last season that started off that great run, I only hope tonight is the same...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    It was actually Pat Sullivan that scored that screamer!

I don't know if I'd agree with it being an awesome performance though. We were certainly the better team but a lot of that was down to Waterford being absolutely appalling. The good thing was that we didn't sit back on the lead and kept pushing forward for more goals.

On the atmosphere, it was great to have few more heads making noise. It gets a bit depressing sometimes when there's just 6 or 7 of us singing during the games. Hopefully this will keep up for the rest of the season.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
    (if and when Tony leaves we've a ready-made replacement as captain in him)
    Tony's not going anywhere - he's about the only player trusted enough to get a two year contract and he keeps going on about how he can't understand why people leave UCD. He'll be our manager in ten years or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Great win and great preformance

3 stunning goals ! played great football and didnt let waterford in the game that much, fair play but i still think it's gonna be a long road for ya's. Hopefully ill be proven wrong.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Schumi
    It was actually Pat Sullivan that scored that screamer!
    You sure?

I've seen some sites reporting it as Sully but I could've sworn it was Johnny...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    You sure?
    Yes. I was surprised at the time too!
    Last edited by Schumi; 25/09/2003 at 9:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Number 2

scored last night didnt he ? sullivan ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Yeah No. 2 = Sullivan.

For the record, the team was:
    Code:
                       Jennings                         

Sullivan     McAuley     McNally     D. Ryan

J. Martin    O'Donnell   Griffin      Cawley

Rooney         Gallen

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Has anyone got a list of the subs?

I barely recognized most of them!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Exclamation Mahon off the mark

Mahon off the mark

UCD 3-0 Waterford United
    Newly appointed UCD manager Pete Mahon only had to wait two games to get his first win with his new club as the students put in an excellent display against Waterford United at Belfield on Monday night.

It was only UCD’s third win of the season and one that will lift the doom and gloom that has been at the club for most of this season as the bid to make remarkable come back and avoid relegation.

Mahon’s side now have 15 games left to turn around their season and on last night’s performance they are capable of doing just that as second half goals from Pat Sullivan, Mick O’Donnell and Mark Leech proved in last night’s match.

Waterford began the brighter but could not seem to make any real breakthrough and it was the students who nearly broke the deadlock first, when a long throw by Robert McAuley went all the way to John Martin whose header was tipped away by goalkeeper Dan Connor.

In the second half an Alan Cawley corner was not cleared properly but the Blues defence and Sullivan was on hand to fire home from just outside the box. In the 77th minute the College side ensured the victory when Cawley’s free-kick was headed home by O’Donnell.

Substitute Mark Leech wrapped up the match with spectacular strike from outside the box to win the match in emphatic style, joy all round for the students while there are some worrying times ahead for Jimmy McGeough’s side.

www.elevenaside.com
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Schumi
    [B]
    I don't know if I'd agree with it being an awesome performance though. We were certainly the better team but a lot of that was down to Waterford being absolutely appalling. The good thing was that we didn't sit back on the lead and kept pushing forward for more goals.

I thought that we were absolutely appauling in the 1st half. We never came close to scoring and I cant remember any attempts on goal. Waterford despite being dreadful overall had some chances in the first half although none looked too troublesome.

It seems that the lads came out willing to play in the second half. I reckon myself that Pete Mahon gave every single one of them a kick up the arse something that should have been done long ago. After the first goal we were coasting and deserved our win.

Lets hope we can go out with the same attitude as we had in the second half at the start of the match tomorow and take all three points away from the Brandywell.

On another note it was great to see Mick O'Donnell acknowledge the supporters after he scored. Hes a true College legend!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I thought that we were absolutely appauling in the 1st half. We never came close to scoring and I cant remember any attempts on goal. Waterford despite being dreadful overall had some chances in the first half although none looked too troublesome.
    I wouldn't go that far now. We were average but we did have some half chances, the defence did look a bit iffy during the first twenty minutes or so and even then you always felt that if Waterford put us under enough pressure they'd crack. McNally didn't impress me at all at centre half.

It was great to see Mick O' come over to the fans after he scored, it was nice that what was the most vocal crowd in ages was appreciated by the players.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    It was great to see Mick O' come over to the fans after he scored, it was nice that what was the most vocal crowd in ages was appreciated by the players.
    What's the story with that? Were those kids from the Rovers game back singing with us again? And if so, did they come up with any more decent songs?!

Nice to see the club seems to be starting to move forward at last - and fairly soon after we changed our supporter focus from students to locals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Originally posted by pineapple stu
    What's the story with that? Were those kids from the Rovers game back singing with us again? And if so, did they come up with any more decent songs?!
    Yeah there was a few of them there again (with a bodhrán too! looks like we don't need Andy at all now ). No new songs really but the usual ones were louder than usual!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Has anyone got a list of the subs?

I barely recognized most of them!
    Colfer and Leech came on. I assume O'Neill was on the bench as well but I don't know who the other two were.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Originally posted by Schumi
    ...with a bodhrán too! looks like we don't need Andy at all now...
    A bodhrJn? Is that a bodhrán junior?

The kids were very vocal, and fair dues to Rá and Declan in particular for getting the others to sing as much as they did. That was the best atmosphere I've seen at a home game in a long time, even before we went a goal up. Hopefully, those kids will be UCD fans for years to come.

Maybe they'll even revive the Soccer Supporters Society when they reach college, because I don't see the point of us running it next year, even if Lefty is willing to be auditor. WE have 33 members to show for 4 days work, including Schumi, Aberdonian Stu, a mate of mine, a number of mates of Aberdonian Stu's, and his boss, who admitted she felt sorry for us. Oh, and Pat Burke continues the proud tradition of UCD players being members of their own fan clubs!