Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Stadium dilemma

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Post Stadium dilemma

Stadium dilemma

Minister for Sport John O’Donoghue has asked the government to push ahead with plans for a new National Stadium, or face up to the possibility of Ireland being forced to play their home internationals across the water.

FAI chief executive Fran Rooney has already warned Irish fans that Brian Kerr’s side could well be playing their next World Cup qualifiers in Anfield or Old Trafford, after FIFA confirmed that they would no longer tolerate the use of bucket seats in Lansdowne Road when the current Euro 2004 qualifying campaign is over.

“I hope that it doesn’t come to it that the Republic of Ireland soccer team has to play their games abroad. FIFA have made it crystal clear they’re not going to live forever with a situation whereby 11,000 portable seats are brought in and it is not really appropriate for a major international body to have to do something like that,” said O’Donoghue.

“I can understand the concerns of the soccer fans and I sincerely hope that it does not come to that and that we can try and resolve the problem.

“Everyone believes that it is not appropriate to be hosting major soccer and rugby games in a stadium like Lansdowne which has outlived its age.

“The ground has many happy memories for many people, but the truth of the matter is that if one compares it even with a club stadium in Britain, which need not be in the Premiership, one can see the inadequacies.

“I believe we need a new stadium as a matter of urgency and I believe it has the support of sports followers right across the country.

“I would like to see the government agree to provide a new stadium in the immediate future, but I am only one member of the government.”

www.eleven-a-side.com
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Stadium dilemma

Originally posted by A face
    Stadium dilemma

Minister for Sport John O’Donoghue has asked the government to push ahead with plans for a new National Stadium, or face up to the possibility of Ireland being forced to play their home internationals across the water.

www.eleven-a-side.com
    Got a reprieve on that one until 2008 or 2009 on the romise that a stadium would be built and ready for use by then. Just as long as they make some effort themselves and don't go relying on what supposedly passes for a Government in this country.
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts

Re: Re: Stadium dilemma

Originally posted by Shed End John
    Got a reprieve on that one until 2008 or 2009 on the romise that a stadium would be built and ready for use by then. Just as long as they make some effort themselves and don't go relying on what supposedly passes for a Government in this country.
    When did you hear that?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I don't know about the dates but i remember FAI fella on the radio saying we would get a reprieve as long as plans for a new stadium in place.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!