Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Qualifying Group 8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Tblisi should have been venue - Cuper

Georgia boss Hector Cuper has insisted his adopted country's World Cup qualifier against the Republic of Ireland could have been played in Tbilisi.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0905/georgia.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    He said: 'The first thing I know is that they have a head coach with big experience. This is a coach who has achieved a lot in his career. This is a very strong national team, especially physically and especially when they are playing in defence.

Has he not seen our team at all?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Montenegro

From Uefa.com

Montenegro will make their competitive debut as an independent nation in Saturday's FIFA World Cup qualifier against Bulgaria, with Football Association of Montenegro president Dejan Savićević insisting: "If I didn't believe we could beat any team in this group I wouldn't be doing this job."

Even Italy
    The Gradski Stadium has a capacity of just 11,000, which for a nation of less than 700,000 is usually quite sufficient. However, for Saturday's Group 8 game, and next Wednesday's fixture against the Republic of Ireland, demand for tickets has vastly exceeded supply, with plenty of Montenegrins sharing FSCG president and former AC Milan star Savićević's optimism about a group which also features Italy, Georgia and Cyprus. "I think that we could even beat Italy, but we must also be realistic," added the 41-year-old former midfielder. "We are a small country, we are debutants and we don't expect miracles. We just want to give our best, but if our players do that in every match anything could happen."

Ambitious youngster
    Savićević's confidence is not without basis. Montenegro - part of Yugoslavia, then Serbia, and then Serbia and Montenegro prior to achieving independence in 2006 - boasts some excellent players, especially in attacking positions. At 24, AS Roma striker Mirko Vućinić is one of the highest-rated strikers in Serie A and can boast great support in 18-year-old Stevan Jovetić, who celebrated his recent move from FK Partizan to ACF Fiorentina with two goals in August's 3-3 friendly draw against Hungary. "I am very excited," said the teenager. "I can't wait to start a match. Bulgaria are a very strong team, with a lot of class players, but we also have a good squad. We don't have experience in qualifiers, but we have a great desire to make a good start. I will be very satisfied if we take four points in the first two games."

'For sure'
    Attacking midfielder Simon Vukčević completes a dangerous offensive trio for Zoran Filipović's team. The 22-year-old has lost his place in the starting lineup at Sporting Clube de Portugal this season, and said: "If I am honest, I am not 100 per cent ready, but I will do my best to help my team-mates in this historic match. We have a very good atmosphere in the squad which is very important. It will be all for one and one for all. But, we are not favorites against Bulgaria or the Republic of Ireland. We are newcomers, a small national team, and we don't have the right to beat anyone. But we have every right to play for victory and we will do that for sure."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Glad to see Cuper hasn't done his homework.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    For those interested, Cyprus v Italy is live on channel "sportsxchange TV". its Channel 417 on NTL digital. its on Sky too
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    What time is kick off?

I'll definetly be watching that game. It will be interesting to see how Cyprus will do in this campaign. I think the 5-2 has us over estimating them, considering they did finish second last in the group, but with their clubs doing well in Europe they might be on a high(although I think the team that got into CL had very little Cypriot players)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Anyone thinking that Montenegro might turn over Bulgaria on Saturday? Or at least get a draw. Seems to be some problems in the Bulgaria camp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan 82 View Post
    Anyone thinking that Montenegro might turn over Bulgaria on Saturday? Or at least get a draw. Seems to be some problems in the Bulgaria camp
    Have a look at "Montenegrin's" view on his team:

"We have very strong offansive with Vučinić(AS Roma),Jovetić(Fioretina) and Vukčević(Sporting Lisabon-scored nice goal against Bolton last year in Uefa cup-they wanted to buy him later for 12 milion euro).
    Our middlefield is quite good also with Peković(Mainz),Bošković(Rapid Wien) and Drinčić who plays for Russian team Amkar you probablly never heard of,but believe me he is good enough to play in premier league clubs like Wigan,Sunderland...
    We also have good side backs with Pavićević(Cotbus-Germany) and Božović(Rapid Bucuresti).Our main problem are our center backs Tanasijević(Dinamo Moscow) and Batak(Ankaraspor) who are not on top of their performance."

That team aint bad at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    by all accounts cyprus were better than italy tonight! di natale lucky to net the winner

and bulgariansn got lucky too with a last minute equaliser having been reduced to ten men.

montenegro ain't gonna be easy folks...
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cyprus vs Italy was live on Sky SportsXchange channel - new one on me.

Italy very lucky - the Cypriots should have scored just before they nicked the win, corner turned wide when it seemed harder to miss. Then the Italians steal it at the death - admittedly, a very good move. It's a shame as to have been the only away winner on opening day would have been a promising start.

It's mad that the late goal concession seems not be confined to just our matches in this group

We're like a recovering alcoholic who thinks they've beaten their "late goal leaking addiction" so celebrate with a quick half in the 93rd minute!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    The return of the dreaded "Groupa Del Morte"

To quote the well-worn cliche - there's no easy games in this group.

Its going to be relentless.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Gattuso Out of Georgia Clash

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...+georgia+clash

do you reckon there's a chance Georgia could pull an upset here? Italy played terribly against Cyprus.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    Gattuso Out of Georgia Clash

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...+georgia+clash

do you reckon there's a chance Georgia could pull an upset here? Italy played terribly against Cyprus.
    where is that game being held?
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Udine

Italy at home so they have to be clear favourites. Can always hope though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    said it before a long time ago and I'll say it again... I really believe we will top this group. All of the teams are decent but no one is outstanding, and I think we will be well organised enough and we have enough quality players... and for anyone that says that its ridiculous to think we can beat Italy, like Ive been told on here before...think Austria 3 France 1... reputations count for nothing and Italy like France are on a low ebb at the moment and the will not magically improve instantly, it will take a little time and I believe we have gotten lucky and got them at a great time

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    The Gazzetta dello Sport reported something like that it's not worth spending the time to watch the recording of the Georgia Ireland game.
    I hope that was in reference to Georgia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    said it before a long time ago and I'll say it again... I really believe we will top this group. All of the teams are decent but no one is outstanding, and I think we will be well organised enough and we have enough quality players... and for anyone that says that its ridiculous to think we can beat Italy, like Ive been told on here before...think Austria 3 France 1... reputations count for nothing and Italy like France are on a low ebb at the moment and the will not magically improve instantly, it will take a little time and I believe we have gotten lucky and got them at a great time
    I believe we can top the group but I don't believe we will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    I believe we can top the group but I don't believe we will.
    maybe its blind faith

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The Gazzetta dello Sport reported something like that it's not worth spending the time to watch the recording of the Georgia Ireland game.
    I hope that was in reference to Georgia
    Yeh they were saying Georgia will play a completely different system against Italy so they won't learn much from watch our game. They gave McGeady man of the match in their match report which was surprising.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I am watching the italy and they should be 4-0 (but thankfully are not). Hammering the Georgians for the first 25 mins but now the Georgians are showing some signs of life.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast