Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kilbane's dedication to the cause

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Sorry man... I was drunk when I wrote that... Got all higher moral stance about it!!!
    No need to apologise, good Dr.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Sorry man... I was drunk when I wrote that... Got all higher moral stance about it!!!
    Not bad for a drunken rant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    My friend went on a drunken rant about Kilbane last night, and put his feelings bluntly;

'I used to hate him, for the simple reason that he was rubbish, and so frustrating to watch. But now I won't hear a bad word against him, he's so dedicated.'

I'd say that sums up how I feel too. I cringed whenever I saw him in central midfield, but it wasn't his fault he was put there. He's always tried his best, and he epitomises the best traditional attributes of Irish football - honesty, integrity, courage and making the best out of negligible ability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Its hard to knock him at this stage. He will give you blood and sweat in buckets. Still not sure about him in midfield mind you

But he would be my first choice left back at this stage

Getting back to the masks, Duff should have been wearing one when he got us that penalty against Spain in '02

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    I cringed whenever I saw him in central midfield, but it wasn't his fault he was put there.
    I think that's a bit unfair. I think he played 16 games in the centre under Kerr and we lost 1. He's not in there to create. He was really excellent for us up until the last few games. He was playing with Kav mainly at the start until Keane came out of retirement. Once he has an intelligent player like that beside him with a decent range of passing he'll play the Gattuso role superbly.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauro 76 View Post
    Well I havent come across this topic on any other threads anyway. Has an Irishman ever worn one of these masks in a game before, cant think of one anyway.
    Alex Bruce in the B friendly v Scotland a couple of years ago at Dallymount if I remember right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    I think that's a bit unfair. I think he played 16 games in the centre under Kerr and we lost 1. He's not in there to create. He was really excellent for us up until the last few games. He was playing with Kav mainly at the start until Keane came out of retirement. Once he has an intelligent player like that beside him with a decent range of passing he'll play the Gattuso role superbly.
    I wouldn't say 'superbly', to be honest! Despite his stormer against France (where he was playing against Dacourt and Mavuba, rather than Vieira and Makelele in Lansdowne), Kilbane was never totally comfortable in centre-mid, very hit-and-miss, and was only there for legs and aggression, something Steven Reid could have provided, and more. The win/loss stats don't tell the full story. Israel, for instance.

In theory at least, a good team should have two intelligent players with a good range of passing in centre-mid. I'll always bemoan the fact that Steven Reid wasn't used in centre-mid alongside Keane during the Kerr era.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He was player of the year playing central midfield and rightly so. Superb against Czechs and Brazil. Basically any game against a really talented team he usually played very well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    In fairness, he was given Player of the year in 2004, during which we only played four competitive matches. In that time, we beat Holland, Portugal, Croatia and the Czechs in friendlies, and drew with Brazil. However, that Irish team under Kerr flattered to deceive, and that's how I feel about Kilbane's contribution in centre-mid too, as hard and honestly as he tried. I really, really don't believe in playing players out of position, and it was this tendency that eventually cost Kerr his job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onenilgameover View Post
    Alex Bruce in the B friendly v Scotland a couple of years ago at Dallymount if I remember right
    Yep, he did, see here: http://picasaweb.google.com/tetsujin...51795106545682
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Is it his 50th competetive game on wednesday or 49th? there is confliting reports about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Is it his 50th competetive game on wednesday or 49th? there is confliting reports about it.
    After missing out the Macedonia game in 99 (Mark Kennedy played instead), Kilbane played the two playoffs against Turkey in 99, 12 matches for 2002 (Holland, Portugal, Estonia, Cyprus, Andorra and Iran home and away) plus four finals games (Cameroon, Germany, Saudi Arabia and Spain), 8 for 2004 (Russia, Switzerland, Georgia and Albania home and away), 10 for 2006 (Cyprus, Switzerland, France, Israel and the Faeroes home and away), 12 for 2008 (Germany, Cyprus, Czechs, San Marino, Wales and Slovakia home and away) and 2 for 2010 (Georgia and now Montenegro)...

Yeah it's 50. God, fair play to Kilbane. Lots of memories.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 09/09/2008 at 5:04 PM.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Did really well last night but for the two lapses in defence (if that's not a contradiction in terms). Not sure he misplaced more than 1 or 2 passes.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Kilbane; more Irish than Ireland itself (Stephen, not sure if he's a woman/man).
    Last edited by noddy102; 12/09/2008 at 2:08 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123