Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kilbane's dedication to the cause

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Its just I can recall a time were we had a higher concentration of players that exhibited these qualities on a regular basis.

McCarthy, Moran, McGrath, Houghton, Townsend, Aldridge.............all of these players gave of their best.
    Great player but he went missing on occasions too.

You also omitted some big names of the past. The same big names who in some cases could have doubled their caps totals if they weren't "injured" for many Internationals. OK mainly friendlies but some competitive games too.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Did Kevin Moran wear a mask once or was it just some crazy granny knot bandage Mick Byrne put on him.

Fair dues to Kilbane. If the mask is worn on his left side he'll have to work on that knock the ball around him and run the other side trick he uses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    'the cow' is what its called by Brazilians, when an Irish player does it its lashing the ball down the field.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    all this talk about the "minimum" we should expect... belittling his efforts

it's bollicks, and i'd say hypocritical on alot of our parts... We're paid to work 40 hrs a week and the minimum expected of us is to work it yet who here does.. the posts on here are testament to that..... mimimum expected??

the guy has a work ethic and a level of commitment to be admired whether it is in football or not... he doesn't represent ireland for you or me... if he did he'd have given in to some of the clowns that follow us.. he represents ireland and himself.. he's an example and should be put on a pedestal.. ye didn't see him bitchin and whingin on the late late show blaming fans and media when he got more of a raw deal off both than any other player.. he just gets his head down and gets stuck in. lesser people would and have retired...

kevin kilbane...... we salute you
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He will go down in the history books as one of the greatest servents to irish football. Zinedine Kilbane deserves all the praise he gets. For a man who was born across the water to have such pride and want for the green jersey is inspirational. Take note Stephen Ireland
    We'll never die, we'll never die

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    100% agree with the praise for Killer. As he mentioned himself in the Sunday Indo this week he had a very shaky debut in Iceland all those years ago. However he has become a credit to the country and represents perfectly the second-generation Irish who choose to play for Ireland along with people like Grealish, Hughton, McCarthy, Houghton, Phelan, Breen and others who were never less than 100% committed. He may not have been that clever on the ball but even Phil Babb stated when he was 16 (in a Millwall programme) that his ambition was to captain Ireland.

Players like Townsend, Aldridge, Cascarino and many others didn't quite have the same direct relationship (grandparents & adoptive grandparents) but nobody can question the commitment they gave as well.

Of the current squad I think Shay, Duffer and Robbie deserve credit alongside Killer. They have always turned up and played, even in friendlies, - I'm giving Robbie the benefit of the doubt for the stag party because Trapp said it was ok ;-)
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post

it's bollicks, and i'd say hypocritical on alot of our parts... We're paid to work 40 hrs a week and the minimum expected of us is to work it yet who here does.. the posts on here are testament to that..... mimimum expected??

the guy has a work ethic and a level of commitment to be admired whether it is in football or not... he doesn't represent ireland for you or me... if he did he'd have given in to some of the clowns that follow us.. he represents ireland and himself.. he's an example and should be put on a pedestal.. ye didn't see him bitchin and whingin on the late late show blaming fans and media when he got more of a raw deal off both than any other player.. he just gets his head down and gets stuck in. lesser people would and have retired...

couldnt put it better myself. I love the guy, hes an absolute hero.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    100% agree with the praise for Killer. As he mentioned himself in the Sunday Indo this week he had a very shaky debut in Iceland all those years ago. However he has become a credit to the country and represents perfectly the second-generation Irish who choose to play for Ireland along with people like Grealish, Hughton, McCarthy, Houghton, Phelan, Breen and others who were never less than 100% committed. He may not have been that clever on the ball but even Phil Babb stated when he was 16 (in a Millwall programme) that his ambition was to captain Ireland.

Players like Townsend, Aldridge, Cascarino and many others didn't quite have the same direct relationship (grandparents & adoptive grandparents) but nobody can question the commitment they gave as well.

Of the current squad I think Shay, Duffer and Robbie deserve credit alongside Killer. They have always turned up and played, even in friendlies, - I'm giving Robbie the benefit of the doubt for the stag party because Trapp said it was ok ;-)
    And Gary Breen who went to school on June 13th 1988 wearing an Ireland top in London.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or listen to him moaning about training pitches or lack of footballs!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Not like Jamie Carragher:

In typically blunt Scouse style, the Liverpool stalwart reveals his feelings about turning out for the national side.

“I was never in love with playing for England,” he says. “I confess: defeats wearing an England shirt never hurt me in the same way as losing with my club.”

Recalling his penalty miss in the World Cup quarter-final against Portugal in 2006, he notes: “I would rather miss for England than LFC.”

As for the end of his England career: “By the time I stopped I felt a huge weight lifting.”

Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post

In typically blunt Scouse style, the Liverpool stalwart reveals his feelings about turning out for the national side.

“I was never in love with playing for England,” he says. “I confess: defeats wearing an England shirt never hurt me in the same way as losing with my club.”

Recalling his penalty miss in the World Cup quarter-final against Portugal in 2006, he notes: “I would rather miss for England than LFC.”

As for the end of his England career: “By the time I stopped I felt a huge weight lifting.”

I hope England continue to play losers like that for the next 100 years!!!!

Zinedine Kilbane determination to play against Georgia shows that footballers aren't all greedy, ego driven monsters. Good on him. I wish the profession had more like him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post

He should've played for us, might have felt diferently, pretty sure he qualified!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    And Gary Breen who went to school on June 13th 1988 wearing an Ireland top in London.
    Didn't know that...classic!

I wore mine and a massive smile walking through the brit check point after the match as the b######s pulled every car into the search bay.

Let Killer be our Ray Houghton for Saturday. The man's a legend, a true soldier and an example to some of the modern money-driven prima-donnas we see poluting the game today.
    The Germans are disputing it. Hegel is arguing that the reality is merely an a priori adjunct of non-naturalistic ethics, Marx is claiming it was offside.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spin View Post
    Let Killer be our Ray Houghton for Saturday. The man's a legend, a true soldier and an example to some of the modern money-driven prima-donnas we see poluting the game today.
    Lets hope he can live up to all this praise (unusual on here) and have a good game come Saturday.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

It was me had the temerity to state that commitment and determination were the bare minimum required. Both are essential to any successful team but there has to be more.

I was most certainly not belittling Kilbanes efforts - in fact I went out of my way to clarify that he was deserving of the praise he was receiving.

My point was that, while such qualities should be lauded, that and that alone is not enough. Will anyone be happy with losses against Georgia and Montenegro but will console themselves that we did our best?

I'm not singling out Kilbane - its a general point that I put forward as Devils Advocate.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Commitment and determination are possibly just as important as ability.Roy Keane did not have the skill/ability of a lot of players.It was his other qualities hat made him a top player.
    I think one of his best was his ability to continue to learn.I believe that he was not a good passer of the ball when he first went to utd but he worked on it and turned out to be one of utds greatest ever players.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Commitment and determination are possibly just as important as ability.Roy Keane did not have the skill/ability of a lot of players.It was his other qualities hat made him a top player.
    I think one of his best was his ability to continue to learn.I believe that he was not a good passer of the ball when he first went to utd but he worked on it and turned out to be one of utds greatest ever players.
    Commitment? Are you serious?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smasher View Post
    Commitment? Are you serious?
    His commitment to Ireland was at times questionable.

His commitment to the game of football I dont think is/was in question

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    It was me had the temerity to state that commitment and determination were the bare minimum required. Both are essential to any successful team but there has to be more.

I was most certainly not belittling Kilbanes efforts - in fact I went out of my way to clarify that he was deserving of the praise he was receiving.

Sorry man... I was drunk when I wrote that... Got all higher moral stance about it!!!
    Last edited by dr_peepee; 05/09/2008 at 10:21 AM.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    is kilbane in the ra?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast