Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What would be an acceptable return from next 2 games ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    I reckon Italy will get a mighty shock in this group, I honestly do.
    In their recent history, they needed a 90th minute winner to beat Scotland in the Euro 2008 qualifiers, drew 1-1 with the Scots in World Cup 2006 qualifiers, and lost to Wales 2-1 in the qualifiers for Euro 2004. So, they're due at least one bad result in this qualifiers!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    has to be 6 points and no less

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A win in the Georgia game is crucuial. There will be a very negative desperate vibe heading into the Montenegro game with anything less.

6 points is an awful big ask. When exactly is the last time ROI won two competitive games on the road against relatively decent opposition?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    6 points. Last time we qualified for a tournament we beat every lower seeded team at home and away. Bulgaria and Italy will dispose of those two sides with ease. We have to aswell.
    You only have to look at every group from the Euro 08 qualifiers to see that there's a small chance of Bulgaria and Italy having 4 comfortable wins against these 2 teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    From RTE Interview with Shane Long:

Asked if four points would be a creditable return, 21-year-old Long replied: 'Yes, that would be good.

'But if we could get six points...that's what we are aiming for.'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0903/ireland.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Player for player we are in a different League to Wales. I would take Bellamy and Bale(because he's a natural left back) and that would be it.

In Cardiff that day we dominated them, I actually thought we would destroy them that day.

Thanks for that. I needed a laugh after the day I've had.

I argued this with a load of Irish around the time of the last qualifiers and the general consensus was that while Ireland have marginally better players man for man there are a significant number of Welsh players who would get into a 'joint XI'.

I also think that even your fans would disagree with you about the 2-2 in Cardiff; heck, even the RTE match report said we deserved the draw.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davey View Post
    4 points out of 6 would be excellent I think and well within our capabilitly. However this is tempered by years of disastrous away performances from the Boys in Green. I suppose 3 out of 6 wouldn't be too bad neither. What are you all expecting points wise over the next 2 games ?
    Want 6, hope for 4, expect 2.

Nothing against Trap. and the lads. If he can make Ireland like Jack & Mick did, briefly, capable of beating 'minnows'* away from home, then all well and good.

* Albeit these lesser teams have improved, especially in the context of being obligingly beaten, that only 5-6 teams in Europe could be guaranteed victory against them!
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 03/09/2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: None really.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Anything less then 2 would be a poor start

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Anything less then 2 would be a poor start
    not the most optimistic of irish fans are ya

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would definetly be hoping for 3 points against georgia considering its gonna be like a home game for us, would think more so than croker even as genuine fans here in a small stadium should create a great atmosphere and backing for the team.. Hopefully the other teams in the group will have to go to tbilisi later on and drop points..
    Monty is unknown territory and will know more about them when they take on the bulgarians saturday night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It would be nice to be still in with a shout of qualifying after two games this year.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I do feel like anything less than 4 points would be a disaster, although it is always possible to recover from awful starts. But i do also think that we have to be aiming for 6 points as THE acceptable return from these games, especially given that we're only really missing one player from our starting XI. Bearing in mind how rare it is to be able to select an international squad with zero injuries/suspensions, then our team is looking as strong its going to get (although it is a blow to lose Duff, at least we have a number of options on the wings).

It'll be interesting to view our results with retrospect. Lets be honest, we don't really know what to expect from Montenegro as a team, or as a place to go and play. What we do know about Georgia is that its a very difficult place to go and get a win, and as such it is a massive plus that we are playing them on neutral ground.

If we're organised and play generally to our potential then we should achieve two comfortable wins, i'd say 2-0 v Georgia, and perhaps 3-1 v Montenegro, given their apparent 'frailty' at the back.

However i think it will end up tighter than that, particularly in Podgorica.
    Last edited by Tipp Townie; 04/09/2008 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    I see Kevin Doyle said that if the team was offered 4 points now theyd take it. Not the attitude to be having at all, going into two games against weaker opposition!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    I see Kevin Doyle said that if the team was offered 4 points now theyd take it. Not the attitude to be having at all, going into two games against weaker opposition!
    I agree I saw the Long interview this morning and I was p*ssed off with that yeah. They should be aiming for 3 points against Georgia, without question. Whatever about it being in Tblisi, certainly now its in Mainz.
    Which means that they'd be happy with a draw in Montenegro.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In all fairness they hardly strike you as an ambitious bunch.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Pessimists are never disappointed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you know your history!

6 points aint gonna happen, 4 points would be fantastic.I can't see us losing either game, so I expect 2 points, maybe a 1 1 and a 0 0.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I agree I saw the Long interview this morning and I was p*ssed off with that yeah. They should be aiming for 3 points against Georgia, without question. Whatever about it being in Tblisi, certainly now its in Mainz.
    Which means that they'd be happy with a draw in Montenegro.
    I'm not that fussed what the players say. I prefer them to do their talking with their feet.

Half the time words are put in their mouths anyway. Hack: "Would Venables be ok? Player: "yeah". Headline "Player Wants Venables".

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In my opinion,you will be able to beat Georgia in Germany(if you had played in Tbilisi i would say X).
    I think that neither you or Bulgaria will be able to beat us in Podgorica.
    We have very strong offansive with Vučinić(AS Roma),Jovetić(Fioretina) and Vukčević(Sporting Lisabon-scored nice goal against Bolton last year in Uefa cup-they wanted to buy him later for 12 milion euro).
    Our middlefield is quite good also with Peković(Mainz),Bošković(Rapid Wien) and Drinčić who plays for Russian team Amkar you probablly never heard of,but believe me he is good enough to play in premier league clubs like Wigan,Sunderland...
    We also have good side backs with Pavićević(Cotbus-Germany) and Božović(Rapid Bucuresti).Our main problem are our center backs Tanasijević(Dinamo Moscow) and Batak(Ankaraspor) who are not on top of their performance.
    All in all,I think that we have quite strong team esspecially up front.Our defence is weaker part of the team.Surely I cant think off another country that has 700 000 population and that have better team than we do.My predictions for these two games would be:win against Bulgaria 3-1 and win against Ireland 3-2.
    I may be wrong,but we will see.
    Last edited by Montenegrin; 05/09/2008 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montenegrin View Post
    In my opinion,you will be able to beat Georgia in Germany(if you had played in Tbilisi i would say X).
    I think that neither you or Bulgaria will be able to beat us in Podgorica.
    We have very strong offansive with Vučinić(AS Roma),Jovetić(Fioretina) and Vukčević(Sporting Lisabon-scored nice goal against Bolton last year in Uefa cup-they wanted to buy him later for 12 milion euro).
    Our middlefield is quite good also with Peković(Mainz),Bošković(Rapid Wien) and Drinčić who plays for Russian team Amkar you probablly never heard of,but believe me he is good enough to play in premier league clubs like Wigan,Sunderland...
    We also have good side backs with Pavićević(Cotbus-Germany) and Božović(Rapid Bucuresti).Our main problem are our center backs Tanasijević(Dinamo Moscow) and Batak(Ankaraspor) who are not on top of their performance.
    All in all,I think that we have quite strong team esspecially up front.Our defence is weaker part of the team.My predictions for these two games would be:win against Bulgaria 3-1 and win against Ireland 3-2.
    I may be wrong,but we will see.
    I don't think you'll score 6 goals against Ireland and Bulgaria. But Montenegro does have a reasonable chance of upsetting both us and Bulgaria.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast