Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supporting two teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Supporting two teams.

Was wondering why people in this country don't follow a LOI team as well as an EPL or SPL team. For a 'soccer mad country' surely this wouldn't be a problem. Would it not be the best of both worlds. Other countries across Europe do this. The bar stoolers won't follow the league because they say its crap but if you love your football that shouldn't matter. So if ManYoo have a fall from grace, does that mean its ok not to 'support' them anymore? It's a two way street. Some LOI fans will look down on other LOI fans who follow EPL or SPL clubs. Is a LOI fan who supports Liverpool or Celtic not as loyal to his local club as someone who follows solely a LOI team?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBohs View Post
    Is a LOI fan who supports Liverpool or Celtic not as loyal to his local club as someone who follows solely a LOI team?
    Nobody can support two teams. Its ridiculous to think otherwise. A friend of mine wore a Pats jersey witha liverpool tracksuit to a friendly game we played before. I didn't talk to him for a month (and still bring it up)

Pretty much every fan of a LOI team has an interest in football outside the country though, and there's nothing wrong with that

BTW if I had my way I'd lock this thread. I'd guess at least half the forum posts here are on this very topic...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Know loads of Pats lads who support English/Scottish teams. Don't get it personally but good luck to them.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I didn't talk to him for a month (and still bring it up)
    Are you a bird or something?

Agree though; support one club (plus the national team if you want); can take interest in many.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't support any foreign teams. I only really have a problem with people who only support British teams and/or would hardly ever darken the door of an eL ground. What annoys me most is when they talk about "we" or "us", as if they were born and raised Mancs, Scousers or Mackam.

Given the precarious nature of LoI football, I have generally no problem with friends who support an English team but who actually do go to a good number of live games here. I know one guy who supports Liverpool, but has been to about 10 eL games so far this season.

I suppose what really annoys me is people who fall into the first category and think that I am somehow less of a football fan because I don't watch Match of the Day.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    I suppose what really annoys me is people who fall into the first category and think that I am somehow less of a football fan because I don't watch Match of the Day.
    True. Was in the Bowl before one of our games this season, and one of our officials and his son were in the tea room with me. The son (who's about ten) asks me who I support; I said UCD. Got the usual answer "No, I mean what real team?" Got a bit of a bollocking off his dad for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    It depends what you mean by support. You can't really put the same amount of effort into supporting two teams if you regularly attend games. But you can certainly follow more than one team.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    It's only ever acceptable to support two teams if you live a long way from the primary object of your affection. Then you can adopt a local team (and I'd expect a true football fan to do so.)
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Define support? I would say I support Limerick but I would follow Manchester United. It all depends really, the majority of kids growing up are brought up with the culture of supporting English clubs and if you support an Irish club you are looked down on.
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    I don't support any foreign teams. I only really have a problem with people who only support British teams and/or would hardly ever darken the door of an eL ground. What annoys me most is when they talk about "we" or "us", as if they were born and raised Mancs, Scousers or Mackam.
    I have to say that drives me spare as well. I asked someone once had they got an english passport or somtin, didnt go down well!
    Last edited by A face; 01/09/2008 at 4:56 PM. Reason: Fixed quotes
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I think people should support as many teams as they want to, as long as they give the league here a chance.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    This argument of blaming the poor attendances and other problems this League has on people in this country supporting clubs in other countries is just getting boring. As I said I follow/support a English club but I have been to every single Limerick home game this season and the majority of away games when I can. There is deeper problems to why this League is not suceeding. The promotion of the League is very poor and clubs complain that the media does not cover the games yet some clubs don't even send out team news etc...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L37Ultra View Post
    This argument of blaming the poor attendances and other problems this League has on people in this country supporting clubs in other countries is just getting boring
    Boring or not its a simple fact. The majority of the people we're looking to get into the ground have no interest in our league, and they nearly all have an interest in the British leagues. If you don't think its a problem, you're deluding yourself
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    I actively support 2 teams. St Pats and Slavia Prague

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Boring or not its a simple fact. The majority of the people we're looking to get into the ground have no interest in our league, and they nearly all have an interest in the British leagues. If you don't think its a problem, you're deluding yourself
    Yes I agree but what this thread has highlighted is the fact that there are people out there who do support both and people who support the British League only still wouldn't support the League Of Ireland if the English, Scottish or even Spanish Leagues fall apart in the morning.

The fact is they are not real football fans. I have only been to a handful of Manchester United games, the majority of them being on school/football team trips when I was younger. I follow them on but I support Limerick if you get my point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Define support? I would say I support Limerick but I would follow Manchester United. It all depends really, the majority of kids growing up are brought up with the culture of supporting English clubs and if you support an Irish club you are looked down on.
    Yeah I'd be similar. Support Dundalk and follow Spurs with mutual dislike for Drogheda and Arsenal.

What really grinds my gears was once I was in a barbers in Dundalk Town Centre on Friday afternoon. On the box was a replay of the Utd Q/f game with Roma in Old Trafford and the barber was there at the game. He was saying how great the atmospere was and how the tickets & flights where worth every penny for the experience. Then he comes out with this statement " Then I paid €10 in Oriel to watch that sh1te". To say i wanted to smack him was an understatment.

Another one that bugs me is Celtic fans who believe that to be Irish you have to support Celtic
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I follow them on but I support Limerick if you get my point.
    And good luck to you. I'm not one of those who cares much either way. Its their loss IMO

However if you have ever picked a Utd game over a Limerick game (forwhatever reason) shame on you
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    However if you have ever picked a Utd game over a Limerick game (forwhatever reason) shame on you

Not a hope. I even gave out to someone last week for staying home to match the Super Cup game instead of going to Limerick-Dundalk. Thats when the English teams affect the LOI. Things are changing for the best though I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    no reason at all you cant support and english and loi team. i do it no problem along with the majority of loi fans. i certainly feel a stronger affinity to one club over the other but to say im not a supporter of both sides would be silly. there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing this in my opniion unless you adopt are one of these of a petty and narrowminded mindset akin to those hilarious rapscallions in the identity crisis thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipsahoy View Post
    no reason at all you cant support and english and loi team. i do it no problem along with the majority of loi fans. i certainly feel a stronger affinity to one club over the other but to say im not a supporter of both sides would be silly
    So say team A are playing team B, and you want team A to win, that means you want one of the teams you support to lose? Which means you're not a fan at all. And of course it can happen.
    ---

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast