Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Supporting two teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    slowly but surely i think people will come back watching limerick, especially if they continue to play football like they did on friday against dundalk.
    Just ensure that happens against Waterford and Fingal

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    So basically you're saying if your mythical new market support was less interested in the opnions of some people onthe internet, they'd have more chance of going to games?

See, we can all make ridiculous assumptions.

If somebody uses the excuse of an internet post talking about british football as a reason not to go to a game, they're either liars or fools
    It reaches far greater then internet posts, but does people opinions get reflected within the stands of each and every single Eircom League club.

Rather then look across the sea and blame the premership is pointless and we should really be focusing on Irish football and not be worried about everything around us its quite that simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post
    It reaches far greater then internet posts, but does people opinions get reflected within the stands of each and every single Eircom League club
    No it doesn't. I've never, ever heard anybody "slag off" the EPL while watching a game in Ireland (apart from a bit of good natured banter). In fact, you'll here most people discussing it before the game, at half time etc

As I've said, if somebody uses the excuse of being slagged for being a Liverpool or Man utd fan as a reason not to go to a game in ireland, they're either liars or fools.

If people don't want to go to games, fine but don't make up ridiculous excuses. It isn't the fault of LOI fans that people aren't coming to the games, and anyone who tries to imply it is doesn't even deserve this much of an answer...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBohs View Post
    Don't get me started on that! I got in an arguement with a friend who tried to tell me Celtic were more Irish than Bohs.
    I hope he's not your friend anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    If somebody uses the excuse of an internet post talking about british football as a reason not to go to a game...
    Whatever assuages the guilt...

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBohs View Post
    What a tool!!!!
    Could be worse, he could be screwing your sister....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    That is one thing that bugs me, as if the quality of football means anything
    Strangest post of the year?

I'm not going to waste my time and money watching a side who play rubbish football. Teams have an obligation to play entertaining / skillfull football IMO. Only die hard fans care about the result only, and you can't expect new fans to be like that until they've settled in. The product must be appealing to get new fans in.

That said, I'd settle for any eL team winning ugly in Europe but would prefer if they did it in style.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelsman View Post
    Strangest post of the year?

I'm not going to waste my time and money watching a side who play rubbish football. Teams have an obligation to play entertaining / skillfull football IMO. Only die hard fans care about the result only, and you can't expect new fans to be like that until they've settled in. The product must be appealing to get new fans in.

That said, I'd settle for any eL team winning ugly in Europe but would prefer if they did it in style.
    Aren't Entertaining and Skillful different things. I prefer the entertainment side of things which I think our league offers at a very reasonable price. i.e On MNS last night the highlights of the Sligo-Drog made it look like a very entertaining game though I doubt the skill levels would be very high.
    Some games may be highly skillful but may not entertain me. Maybe its just me
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelsman View Post
    You must love Pats at the moment
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    That is one thing that bugs me, as if the quality of football means anything

Also i hate when people moan about facilities
    Sure they are bad, but its football
    I mean i go to the pub for the beer, not cause the toilets are lovely, etc
    On the contrary, I think most of the posters here are glossing over the reason many people have for not following LOI. The quality of football means everything to me for one.

I'm a football fan first and foremost and like to see it played as it is meant to be played. I've not seen a very high standard of this in the LOI and so I spend most of my time watching La Liga or other European leagues including the Premiership. I travel to Barca or Everton matches (yes I'm aware Everton aren't renowned for good footy, but they are improving...)when I can but don't always have the money for it.

I have been to a few Dublin LOI matches when a friend invites me along, but not been in a while. Enjoyed the experience to a degree, but not the matches, in the same way I don't enjoy many of the superhyped Super Sunday clashes on Sky. Too little technical ability and too much stifled defensive/hoofing football.

Because I watch the majority of my footy on TV does not mean I am any less of a fan. Football is my number one passion, and while I agree the live experience is superior, I think this is the case only if the football is good. I wouldn't hesitate in choosing a Barca match on TV over going round the corner to watch Shels because the football is on a different level.

You guys seem to be lumping everyone who doesn't follow an Irish team into the same bracket. I'm sure there are a number of fans who are just plain ignorant and lazy and jump on bandwagons, but there are also plenty of fans who want better football or who simply grew up supporting a team from England and would never think to consider changing to another team because that English team is all they've known since they were kids.

There's a lot of bitterness here is all I can tell.

(although maybe I'm wrong and I am completely a minority and am not relevant to this argument..... .....if so, continue bashing the pig ignorant barstoolers)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Jinxy - ''Some games may be highly skillful but may not entertain me. Maybe its just me''

I understand what you mean. I know plenty of people who would automatically find a 0-0 in La Liga boring as hell because they don't know the players and there was no goals.

I would generally enjoy the skillful/technical side of the game first, even if in a 0-0, but of course I'm not completely immune to a shockingly bad 4-4 draw with comical defending.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortezuma View Post
    Jinxy - ''Some games may be highly skillful but may not entertain me. Maybe its just me''

I understand what you mean. I know plenty of people who would automatically find a 0-0 in La Liga boring as hell because they don't know the players and there was no goals.

I would generally enjoy the skillful/technical side of the game first, even if in a 0-0, but of course I'm not completely immune to a shockingly bad 4-4 draw with comical defending.
    English football is acknowledged as being technical inferior, played at a helter skelter pace and favouring the physically, rather than mentally, strong and fast players.

Yet you still support it?

Slightly jars with your reference to skill above.

EPL football just features bigger and faster players than the EL. No more, no less technical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    The quality of football has very little to do with the entertainment value. How many times have we seen terrible games by supposedly "quality" players in the premiership? Man Utd vs Chelsea FA Cup 2007 was one of the worst games i've ever seen and theyre supposed to be two of the best in Europe.

I was watching a youth game the other day and obviously the quality was terrible apart from one or two of the kids but it was still a good game to watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm a football fan first and foremost and like to see it played as it is meant to be played. I've not seen a very high standard of this in the LOI and so I spend most of my time watching La Liga or other European leagues including the Premiership. I travel to Barca or Everton matches (yes I'm aware Everton aren't renowned for good footy, but they are improving...)when I can but don't always have the money for it.
    You're a football consumer (which is fair enough), not a football supporter. I like football in general. I think a direct, physical game can have its own attractions, and I also like seeing beautiful football as much as anybody else.

I'm always mystified about how the quality of the EPL is used to bash the EL. The EPL is rightly seen as a technically inferior league, and this filters down to the English (and Irish) national team.

Also makes me laugh to see EPL fans say that they are driven cross channel for technical football. I assume that if Everton (bad choice of team for your argument by the way) went bust a-la Leeds, went down a couple of divisions and had to play (even) more direct, physical football, you'd immediately switch allegiance to Arsenal then?
    While we are here, they'll never die.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    <P>
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    The quality of football has very little to do with the entertainment value. How many times have we seen terrible games by supposedly "quality" players in the premiership? Man Utd vs Chelsea FA Cup 2007 was one of the worst games i've ever seen and theyre supposed to be two of the best in Europe. </P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>I was watching a youth game the other day and obviously the quality was terrible apart from one or two of the kids but it was still a good game to watch.
    </P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>You negate your own point there. In that match many of the players had great technical ability and are undoubtedly 'quality', but the match itself was killed by negativity and a negative gameplan. When watched in other games Utd play excellent football. Chelsea may be less pleasing to watch but they will hopefully get better.</P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>The quality of the football, for me, has everything to do with it. The match&nbsp;you mention, did not have quality football, so it had no entertainment value for&nbsp;me either.</P>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    English football is acknowledged as being technical inferior, played at a helter skelter pace and favouring the physically, rather than mentally, strong and fast players.

Yet you still support it?

Slightly jars with your reference to skill above.

EPL football just features bigger and faster players than the EL. No more, no less technical.
    Very fair point. I find myself watching a lot more La Liga nowadays than the EPL but there are plenty of examples in recent seasons of English teams improving. Arsenal are one of the best footballing teams I have ever seen and I would argue that when they want all of Portsmouth, United, Everton, Middlesborough, Reading(1st season up) and Spurs attempt to play a patient passing game as opposed to hoofing. The hoofing is still very much apparent in many matches, including by the teams I mention, but I've seen enough to say that the foreign players and coaches are having an influence for the better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stovelid - are you saying I am not a football supporter because of my financial restrictions? I can't afford go every week to see the teams I support. There are plenty of Everton and Barca supporters from Liverpool and Barcelona who probably cannot get to games as much as they would like any more. Yet they are still supporters.

You are right about Everton slightly disproving my point but I am an Everton supporter as it is something that has been with me since I was very small, for 20 years or so now. So, no, if they get relegated or disimprove drastically I won't stop supporting them, as for better or for worse I'm stuck with them same as anyone who started supporting a team when young.

I can see the point you are trying to make, but the direct answer is I would not now start supporting a LOI team, becasue I am older and know what I like in football and I don't see it in the league here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Because I watch the majority of my footy on TV does not mean I am any less of a fan
    Yes it does. You mightn't like to admit it, but its the truth. This isn't my superiority complex coming out either. Someone from Wrexham that watches them play is more of a football fan than a Liverpool fan from Wrexham who watches them on TV

The fact that most people in Ireland do not understand this simple point, sepertes them from the rest of the footballing world.

The standard of football is, generally, poor enough here. But its like that in laods of countries with relatively strong, vibrant leagues. The difference is that locals still apy to watch the games.

The facilities here are rubbish too. But people who blame the facilities and the standard of football for not going are completely missing the point.

The facilities are rubbish, adn the standard of football isn't great BECAUSE people aren't going to the games. If clubs had the money they'd love to have 10,000 seater stadiums and have the money to attract better players into the leagues, but until people still think they're football fans by watching it on TV, this won't change.

And, honestly, I'm not bitter about this. Its completely your loss. I'd love to see big criowds in INchicore, and around the league, but I don't think I will. If I spent all my time worrying about people with no iterest in irish football, I'd never have time to enjoy the ups and downs of being a football supporter.
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes it does. You mightn't like to admit it, but its the truth. This isn't my superiority complex coming out either. Someone from Wrexham that watches them play is more of a football fan than a Liverpool fan from Wrexham who watches them on TV

The fact that most people in Ireland do not understand this simple point, sepertes them from the rest of the footballing world.

The standard of football is, generally, poor enough here. But its like that in laods of countries with relatively strong, vibrant leagues. The difference is that locals still apy to watch the games.

The facilities here are rubbish too. But people who blame the facilities and the standard of football for not going are completely missing the point.

The facilities are rubbish, adn the standard of football isn't great BECAUSE people aren't going to the games. If clubs had the money they'd love to have 10,000 seater stadiums and have the money to attract better players into the leagues, but until people still think they're football fans by watching it on TV, this won't change.

And, honestly, I'm not bitter about this. Its completely your loss. I'd love to see big criowds in INchicore, and around the league, but I don't think I will. If I spent all my time worrying about people with no iterest in irish football, I'd never have time to enjoy the ups and downs of being a football supporter.
    fair enough, I can't totally disagree with you but you are missing the point that I am only restricted currently from seeing more games of Everton and Barca due to not having enough spare money. At some stage I plan on living in Barca and then at least I can catch them regularly. You are lumping me in with someone who just watches on TV.

Also, what you would ideally want, from someone like me, is for me to go to the LOI matches and put up with poor football in the hope that my support will make what I'm watching eventually better. I don't think it's my loss, as I am watching quality football on a regular basis on TV, and seeing it live whenever I can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    You negate your own point there. In that match many of the players had great technical ability and are undoubtedly 'quality', but the match itself was killed by negativity and a negative gameplan.
    But how many people would have watched that game because it supposedly had two "quality" teams and then ignored the LOI game down the road because of the poor "quality" players?

The whole point of being a football fan is that you enjoy watching live football whether its Ronaldo scoring a trademark freekick or a fat bloke scoring a scrappy header in a pub match before going in for a pint. That's what football's all about.

Could you honestly say you'd rather watch a Bolton vs Wigan game on Sky Sports over the live experience of your local team?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast