Thread: Supporting two teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Got the usual answer "No, I mean what real team?"
    Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    I suppose what really annoys me is people who fall into the first category and think that I am somehow less of a football fan because I don't watch Match of the Day.
    I had an interview a while ago for a job in a bar/nightclub. Things were going well until the manager, looking down at my CV where I'd mentioned I supported DCFC, said something jokingly, "Ah, and I see you're a football fan...I'm afraid you have to answer this question right to get a job here: Do you like Man United?" I said, no, I only supported DCFC after which both managers proceeded to grill me along the lines of, "Aye but which Premiership club do you support?"

Eventually, I had to pretend I still supported Leeds (I used to support them when I was a kid but hadn't seen them or anything for years) to get them to leave me alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    I think most Irish people grew up "Suppporting" an English side. Mine was Man City, until the penny dropped that they didn't really mean anything to me. It was a while before this translated into supporting my local team, but I haven't looked back in 14 years of regular attendance at Richmond Park. Frankly I feel sorry for those who will never know the feeling that we Pats SUPPORTERS had last Thursday evening. As Dodge said, it's their loss. The other thing I always want to point out to people who run down the league is that the single thing which would improve stadia and the standard of football in this country out of all recognition is if more people actually went to matches. There really is no other cure if you think our league is a sick man. Improvement will not happen out of thin air. The probelm is people want everything served up readymade to them. "I want to watch a team in the Champions League, but I've no interest in helping them reach that standard." It's just too damn easy to watch Man U on the TV and that's why people do it.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Staying local

My own experience sees me supporting a team from the city where I was 'born and bred'. This will always be my first team. I then moved abroad from several years and began supporting a local team. I built up a very good feeling for this team and am definitely a fan. So no problem supporting two teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    One team, Dundalk. Couldn't really give a plop about the national team, certainly couldn't give two plops for an English or Scottish team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Teams

I think its possible to 'follow' as many teams as you like but you can only really feel for one deep down I think, and this takes years and usually lots of money. For me the first love was Manchester United and still is. However this hasn't stopped me enjoying following the exploits of a variety of other teams over the years. Its only now that Wexford have a league team that I have seriously got into LOI but I did attend ucd games in my time there and my grandad brought me to dalymount as a youngster several times too. I would like to think though that in a few years the situation will reverse itself. Supporting an english team in that league, the way its gone, is a nonsense really for an Irish football fan with any sense of self respect. Can't help ourselves though..I feel far better about what the guys at FCUnited and more particularly Ferrycarrig Park are doing.
    Who dares to speak of 98?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i support three teams an EL, epl an spl team. I dont care really what people think and really who does care?

for me some the comments on this thread are plain stupid and is why some people never want go near a domestic football game with attitude like some of you guys.

move on, its there and there is no point in sulking about it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    when i was younger i purely supported man utd growing up, this was down to the fact i didn't know anything about limerick soccer and never had been to a game barr 1 or 2 that i was brought to. all i ever saw on telly or in the papers was english or scottish football. as i got a little older and found out more about irish football and about limerick football i started supporting them and i definately get more joy out of going to jackman park to watch limerick play than watch Man united on the box. live football and getting behind your home club is what its all about and there is no better kick than going supporting your local team home or away and seeing them win whether it be Limerick in soccer or Shannon in rugby or any other local team you like to follow for that matter.

The people that annoy me are the ones who consider themselves die hard football fans who supposedly support the irish national team through thick and thin and want to see the english national team fail so badly yet support english clubs like man utd, liverpool, aresenal etc... and would laugh at the suggestion of supporting an LOI team.
    I'd have had a fairly similar experience. I was a big Man Utd fan up until about 15 or 16. I went to the Brandywell for the first time the season we nearly were relegated and the atmosphere of the Jungle got me hooked. For some reason, and I'm not sure how long this took, I've developed a dislike for Man Utd, so much so that I was going for Chelsea in the CL final. I think the problem with some of the bigger Premiership teams is that they're football corporations, not football clubs.

It never fails to annoy me when I hear barstoolers discussing supporters songs and chants. I always think to myself, it's a pity you'll rarely if ever to get to sing them at a match.
    Robbie Hedderman. Arguably the greatest Derry City player of all time...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L37Ultra View Post
    Define support? I would say I support Limerick but I would follow Manchester United. It all depends really, the majority of kids growing up are brought up with the culture of supporting English clubs and if you support an Irish club you are looked down on.

i would see supporting as going to a game paying your money to a club shouting for the team obviously.most people in ireland only follow the english teams and support the publicans and bar staff in reality

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Its okay to support two teams. Club and country. I get really ****ed off with all the wee knackers that run about west belfast going tiocfaidh ar la this and chucky that - but then in their next sentence call Liverpool and Man U 'we' and 'us' a bit hypocritical.

If you have lived in several cities like I have ... its hard not to have a 'wee feel' for one or two of the teams cities that I've lived in - but half the wee tramps that havent been outside their own housing scheme in the last 6 months claiming to be a supporter of a particular team just because they have a 'chipped' sky box ... does my head in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4Ever View Post
    I actively support 2 teams. St Pats and Slavia Prague
    What's the story with using the name Hibs4Ever? Do you follow Hibs too?

I support Galway United. Secondly, I support all Irish teams in Europe.

On a normal day, I'd have a strong disliking for Shels but I really wanted them to do well in Europe when they had their good run a few years ago. I have no logical explantion for this behaviour.

I have more interest in Monaghan United than Manchester United.

Maybe it's the hot dogs on sale at Mons' games.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post
    for me some the comments on this thread are plain stupid and is why some people never want go near a domestic football game with attitude like some of you guys.
    Oh yeah, definately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I've only ever missed 7 Derry City home games since 1985 including friendlies and LC games and I also support Liverpool.

I go to Anfield and have been to Wembley twice to see them and don't have a problem with it. If Derry were to play Liverpool I would support Derry as they are my home town team.

As some of you's may know we didn't have a senior club in Derry in the 70's so as a child I picked Liverpool in a game V Leeds when my 2 older brothers were supporting Leeds and to this day I still do.

I don't understand how people can't follow there local club while supporting an EPL or Scottish team.

I would say at least 7/10 LOI fans do follow clubs across the water.

BTW Even though I'm from Derry I've never had a massive love affair with Celtic which where I grew up was going against the grain!
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    Oh yeah, definately.

i said some comments.

basically i refer to supporters of el teams who are more interested in the worries of what epl teams are doing then what is going on at there own club. if these people got with times and stop being so us v the world attitude you see a better market for new support

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I support Bray "back home", as they were my local team growing up...and I support York City in the UK as it's where I live, and it's good entertainment at the weekend. I hardly ever watch football on tv, and always felt that if you like the game, you'd just go watch the nearest team that offered you live fare. Over time, one then develops an affection...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    In a nutshell most of us agree that if you mainly watch football on a TV screen then you are not a football fan.

There yis go.Tidied

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    What hope do we really have when a FAI Ambassador Ray Houghton would rather talk about English lower league clubs "closer to home" when he was asked about Irish clubs being in trouble on Morning Ireland.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The thing I can't understand about "the soccer mad Irish" is why we have this atitude towards are own league. Personnally, I hate watching matches on T.V and would rather be at a live game. Nothing can beat a live game. The thing that grinds my gears is when bar stoolers, like my brother in law look down on me because (a) I follow a less successful English, Sunderland, for years & never seen them win anything & waste my time travelling over 10, 12 times a year. (b) I follow a LOI team , Bohemians, & no one in there right mind would watch that ****e. How can you like that crap! (c) I don't know anything about football because I follow two teams & he is one love one United man. Plus he knows more about football because he supports Man Utd & they are the biggest club in the world. People who follow small clubs or local soccer are morans to choose that path instead of super successful ManYoo.

What a tool!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Bit more complicated for me. I was born in Manchester, moved here when I was 11/12 so was brought up (by my dad) to support MUFC. Ended up living in Tallaght and would now support Rovers. I wouldn't discard United. I tend to do more financially for Rovers like membership or buying a lot of merchandise. Personally, I don't see the problem with Irish-born EL fans having an EPL team as long as they put as much money as possible into the game here. The one thing that makes me crazy is that Irish football fans can go as far as to actually put the boot in on the EL and badmouth it. That I can't understand.
    While we are here, they'll never die.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post
    i said some comments.

basically i refer to supporters of el teams who are more interested in the worries of what epl teams are doing then what is going on at there own club. if these people got with times and stop being so us v the world attitude you see a better market for new support
    So basically you're saying if your mythical new market support was less interested in the opnions of some people onthe internet, they'd have more chance of going to games?

See, we can all make ridiculous assumptions.

If somebody uses the excuse of an internet post talking about british football as a reason not to go to a game, they're either liars or fools
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L37Ultra View Post
    Its all got to do with the buzz around the town when they are doing well and if people can take Limerick seriously after what has happened in the past. Things are changing though and I have brought many friends to games this year who I would have never expected to go to a Limerick game. I always get smart comments from people when I am in town with any sort of Limerick gear. Ironic thing is it comes from fellows wearing Liverpool jerseys etc.. I just tell them I feel sorry for them Do you get that attitude in Limerick, Jofspring?
    ya alot of people don't understand how i can support limerick because they say the standard is awful etc.... but i also find alot of people who when i'm on a night out if i mention i support limerick they say fair play and ask what divsion we are in, how we are getting on in the league and they'd love to get up to a match sometime which makes me think there are alot of people interested its just getting them motivated to go to matches is the problem. a friend of mine went to the odd match as i kept inviting him up and now he is a season ticket holder and loves going up to the matches home and away. if people would just support the team for more than one or two matches here and there and went to at least half the home matches in a season i know they'd get hooked. slowly but surely i think people will come back watching limerick, especially if they continue to play football like they did on friday against dundalk.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast