Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    No, definitely goes back more than a few years alright

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Mannus should have taken an knee. Id rate his protest as a 4/10. Needs more effort.

In all seriousness people forget Shams' goalkeepers woes before he signed. I'd say the silverware in the cabinet this monrning is as much down to his signing as anyone else.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewayspasser View Post
    Actually, most other sides don't turn to face their flag. It seems an almost exclusively Irish thing to do. I'm pretty sure you won't see the Danes turning towards their flag when their anthem is played in the Aviva later this month.
    It seemed to be something that happened early in the Charlton era and became the norm. When it first happened there was some annoyance as it meant facing away from heads of state which some supporters at away games saw as disrespectful. Bit different than the alleged Tweed incident in the rugby!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 05/11/2019 at 10:25 AM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    As far as I can remember it was Chris Hughton who started the squads facing the tricolour at International games and from then on it became common place. As a neutral ,Bohs Fan ,Irishman, rival or whatever I don't think it offended anyone in reality as he stood respectfully and wasn't hopping around. I personally don't think (and it has nothing to do with McLean) that he should have donned a Poppy on his cup final suit. (If he even did) as that can/could would strike up political arguments and offend (rightly or wrongly) a lot of people. Not a smart move but not the end of the world either but I think symbols like that should be kept out of what is a predominantly tribal sport
    That is my take on it putting all club rivalries aside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Leaving Mannus to one side, no footballer (an employee), should ever be put in a position where they are expected to comply with a political act/ceremony while in the performance of their job. In doing so, football association's leave clubs wide open to a legal action.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38662304.html

Explains himself very well in this, complete mountain out of molehill situation. I had questioned him being selected as the goalkeeper in the Team of the year last week but after Sunday's display there can be no real arguments, congrats to him and Shamrock Rovers on their cup win, already can't wait for a great title challenge from them next season. Mon the town!
    Mon the Town!

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufil View Post
    In light of the fact Mannus shook the President of Irelands hand and was aware he was present, and in light of the fact that English players were subject to race jeers at a recent international and a big fuss was made then even by some Irish commentators, then the goalkeeper's action was fully racist.
    He ought be suspended or fined, or both for ungentlemanly conduct.

Fully racist and deserved to be suspended and fined?

Not sure if serious, but hope not.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Total non-issue. Let's not become too fetishistic about the tricolour, it isn't like he was holding up two fingers.

12. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    In doing so, football association's leave clubs wide open to a legal action.
    Nonsense

14. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Sure all the Dundalk fans in the north stand had their backs to flag

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    Sure all the Dundalk fans in the north stand had their backs to flag
    No we all just turned to face the Palestine flag
    Mon the Town!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Lopes behind him had no problem facing the flag.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie C View Post
    Lopes behind him had no problem facing the flag.
    Doubt he would, being from Crumlin and all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Great timing this for me as I have to pen a substantial piece of coursework on sports, culture and national identity - more comment needed on the reaction than the players conduct. It all a load of BS that anybody that has taken offence well snowflake gets rolled out far too often but in this case anyone offended deserve to be called a snowflake. At a time where there is serious talk about an AIL...bit of growing up needed or just go support GAA where such attitudes will find more than a few willing ears!

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    And my hangover is clearing..🤪🙃😄😝🥴🤤

Well that was an experience. Great craic beforehand in Ringsend, amazing Ultras display, and the utter joy of scoring in the last minute. I looked to the heavens and said, finally,FINALLY, we win this poxy thing again... And then ...ehm, utter disbelief, to be honest. I can't imagine how the player's were feeling cos I wanted to crawl into a ball. Fair is fair, Rovers were the better side throughout and our usual inadequacy up front was about to cost us, it seems. Dundalk would appear to be half the team without Shields, and never got out of 1st gear. This should merit some winter midfield- muscle acquisitions at OP methinks.
    SuperKeeper Mannus( I've no interest in this anthem standing story horse$hit) made a vital save in the last minute and Rovers peno's were frankly a pleasant shock. And we won. We won.
    Joy agus Rapture. Appreciate the good words on this thread from the usual sparring partners.

Next season cannot come soon enough for my 12yr old - she's never seen us lose ( been to 3 games, in fairness!).

When's the president cup!?!

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Mannus should have taken an knee. Id rate his protest as a 4/10. Needs more effort.

In all seriousness people forget Shams' goalkeepers woes before he signed. I'd say the silverware in the cabinet this monrning is as much down to his signing as anyone else.
    This is so true. I remember the first match he played, he came out for a corner and caught the ball and we all clapped because we were so used to tomar and others flapping at everything. Even simple stuff was amazing for us. (Apart from bazunus few games and that was nervous enough cos he was only 16) .
    His contribution to calmness at the back is huge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    And my hangover is clearing..🤪🙃😄😝🥴🤤

Well that was an experience. Great craic beforehand in Ringsend, amazing Ultras display, and the utter joy of scoring in the last minute. I looked to the heavens and said, finally,FINALLY, we win this poxy thing again... And then ...ehm, utter disbelief, to be honest. I can't imagine how the player's were feeling cos I wanted to crawl into a ball. Fair is fair, Rovers were the better side throughout and our usual inadequacy up front was about to cost us, it seems. Dundalk would appear to be half the team without Shields, and never got out of 1st gear. This should merit some winter midfield- muscle acquisitions at OP methinks.
    SuperKeeper Mannus( I've no interest in this anthem standing story horse$hit) made a vital save in the last minute and Rovers peno's were frankly a pleasant shock. And we won. We won.
    Joy agus Rapture. Appreciate the good words on this thread from the usual sparring partners.

Next season cannot come soon enough for my 12yr old - she's never seen us lose ( been to 3 games, in fairness!).

Completely forgot about presidents cup, where's that being played?
    Ask the experts 😀

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Completely forgot about presidents cup, where's that being played?
    Ask the experts 
    Laytown strand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Neutral venue , fair enough

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    And my hangover is clearing..浪若襤

I agree to an extent but it has been said over and over that playing Hoare in that DM role doesnt work. We dropped points in the league in particular against St Pats and were awful that night. I would rather have had a less defensive type midfielder in instead as tbh we would probably still be defensively solid but with a bit more substance in knocking the ball about midfield. Murray has the engine to get about, or a change in formation would a preferable option to me. Some recruitment is needed with players out too. I would have liked to see Dummigan get some time to see what he is like at left back but rumoured to be on the move. There will be a few former Dundalk lads at St Pats it looks like. The Boardroom in Oriel isnt so settled either so if there is a time for Rovers to use a cup win as a platform to league well 2020 could be it!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 05/11/2019 at 10:16 PM.

Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast