Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Eóin Doyle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Derby and Cardiff mention as interested here

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Host-clubs-bombard-Chesterfield-Bristol-City/story-25934631-detail/story.html

£2 for 20+ goals seems pretty cheap.
    Last season's League One top scorer was Sam Baldock, with 24 goals. He subsequently moved to Brighton for a fee reported to be around £2m and has scored twice this season
    Second top scorer was Britt Assombalonga with 23 goals, he moved to Forest for £5m and has 14 goals in 25 appearances for Forest and is the third top scorer in the division
    Next two were Kieran Agard and Callum Wilson who both finished on 21 goals, and moved for £750,000 and £3m, respectively. Agard has seven goals, Wilson has 12.
    Based on all that, £2m is a little below what you would expect for Doyle alright, but not by much. £3m is probably closer to his value.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Last season's League One top scorer was Sam Baldock, with 24 goals. He subsequently moved to Brighton for a fee reported to be around £2m and has scored twice this season
    Second top scorer was Britt Assombalonga with 23 goals, he moved to Forest for £5m and has 14 goals in 25 appearances for Forest and is the third top scorer in the division
    Next two were Kieran Agard and Callum Wilson who both finished on 21 goals, and moved for £750,000 and £3m, respectively. Agard has seven goals, Wilson has 12.
    Based on all that, £2m is a little below what you would expect for Doyle alright, but not by much. £3m is probably closer to his value.
    Not sure what you point is with Callum Wilson 15 in 32 in the Championship which is almost the same strike rate as his 22 in 42 in League 1.

0.523 v 0.46 not much different, so it seem a player can go up a division with little drop in strike rate.
    How much would a 20 goal a season man be in the Premiership?
    £20 million+ ?

I suspect Baldock is being played out of position.

Walters seem to be getting the goals now he is playing centrally

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Must bear in mind that every one of the above was/is younger than Eoin Doyle is now. The older memebers of that crop were 24 last summer (Baldock and Agard) and the more expensive ones were Assombalonga and Wilson were also the youngest (21 and 22). That does infer that age is a huge factor in the valuations. Doyle is 26 now and will be 27 in the summer.

In fact, as age ascends the price relatively descends in those examples- Baldock aside which is due to the fact that he has more career goals and Championship experience relative to Agard. Again, Doyle is not abundant in either.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Not sure myself where he's playing positionally but he's playing with a struggling side in Brighton which does normally tend to impact on players' tallies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Not sure what you point is with Callum Wilson 15 in 32 in the Championship which is almost the same strike rate as his 22 in 42 in League 1.

0.523 v 0.46 not much different, so it seem a player can go up a division with little drop in strike rate.
    How much would a 20 goal a season man be in the Premiership?
    £20 million+ ?

Walters seem to be getting the goals now he is playing centrally
    I was comparing the transfers of last season's top scorers in League One to get an estimate of Doyle's value, and added in some extra information about how they're performing this season. Nothing more.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Bit of word on twitter that he's close to signing with Cardiff City and it's been published on the deadline day tracker of the Guardian. We'll wait and see.

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    from rte:

Cardiff target Eoin Doyle is believed to be heading to the Welsh capital for a medical, with a £750,00 fee which could rise above £1million with add ons thought to have been agreed between the two clubs.

would be a big move. Cardiff unlikely to make a late run at the playoffs (unless doyler goes GOAL MAD) but a season in the championship wouldn't hurt, assuming he can force his way into the side. he'd likely be playing along side a Big Man in Kenwyne Jones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Not sure myself where he's playing positionally but he's playing with a struggling side in Brighton which does normally tend to impact on players' tallies.

"On 6 August 2014, Assombalonga joined Nottingham Forest on a five-year contract for an undisclosed fee[19] reported to be in the region of £5 million which could rise to £8 million based on appearances (of which Watford will receive 50% due to sell-on clauses)."

He joined from Peterborough United (league one) stats 43 games, 23 goals.

Eoin has 25 in 33 this season.

So if Cardiff got him for the £750,000 they got the bargain of the season!!

To me kind of money paid for Assombalonga is a far more realistic amount, OK he is a bit younger but
    Eoin is 40% better on strike rate, so I'd say £10,000,000 is a realistic amount.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    "On 6 August 2014, Assombalonga joined Nottingham Forest on a five-year contract for an undisclosed fee[19] reported to be in the region of £5 million which could rise to £8 million based on appearances (of which Watford will receive 50% due to sell-on clauses)."

He joined from Peterborough United (league one) stats 43 games, 23 goals.

Eoin has 25 in 33 this season.

So if Cardiff got him for the £750,000 they got the bargain of the season!!

To me kind of money paid for Assombalonga is a far more realistic amount, OK he is a bit younger but
    Eoin is 40% better on strike rate, so I'd say £10,000,000 is a realistic amount.
    I think the Doyle fee is an accurate reflection of the risk posed by signing him. I hope he repays it and then some. And when I refer to risk I suggest you look at it this way: if Doyle fails to cut the mustard at Championship level then no League 1 side will have the finances to cover Cardiff's outlay. The best they'll be able to hope for is a Championship or League 1 side taking a punt on his wages on a loan deal maybe. It's far from guaranteed he'll translate the (admittedly, phenomenal) League 1 tally to the Championship, bearing in mind he hardly lit alight League 2 in the prior season.

As regards Assombalonga, that fee was probably inflated because MacAnthony drives a hard bargain. Apparently the fee paid for Assombalonga by Peterborough was a chunky one also, demonstrating MacAnthony's ability to make a very quick buck by identifying such a player. He has 14 league goals so far this season. Hopefully Doyle can match that in the second half or so of the season.

Is Doyle the type of player more likely to thrive up top with a big striker like Kenwyne Jones?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    As regards Assombalonga, that fee was probably inflated because MacAnthony drives a hard bargain. Apparently the fee paid for Assombalonga by Peterborough was a chunky one also, demonstrating MacAnthony's ability to make a very quick buck by identifying such a player. He has 14 league goals so far this season. Hopefully Doyle can match that in the second half or so of the season.
    I think it's more Ferguson and his team identifying these lads and improving them, than MacAnthony doing so, but maybe the money being made moving these lads on is keeping the manager / chairman relationship at Peterborough sweeter than if it was just about the clubs league form. Watford also had a first refusal clause, I think, as part of letting Assombalonga go to Peterborough in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I think the Doyle fee is an accurate reflection of the risk posed by signing him. I hope he repays it and then some. And when I refer to risk I suggest you look at it this way: if Doyle fails to cut the mustard at Championship level then no League 1 side will have the finances to cover Cardiff's outlay. The best they'll be able to hope for is a Championship or League 1 side taking a punt on his wages on a loan deal maybe. It's far from guaranteed he'll translate the (admittedly, phenomenal) League 1 tally to the Championship, bearing in mind he hardly lit alight League 2 in the prior season.

Is Doyle the type of player more likely to thrive up top with a big striker like Kenwyne Jones?

The only reason I can think of for huge differences in goals scored is different positions being played in a different system
    or at a different end of the league.

I don't see there being much risk with his strike rate, also 10 assists.

I think maybe the low fee may indicates he was near the end of his contract, in which case he can make big wage demands I expect,
    which could be a problem for the buying club if he turns out to be rubbish., however I am pretty sure that won't be the case.

Some of his goals nothing much stands out, quite a variety. I think he has scored most of his goals
    for the same manager, Paul Cook, so have a manager who understands his game seems to be important,
    I'd say that is the same for a lot of player though. The manager at Cardiff is pretty decent I think so I think
    he will do well there, let's hope so anyway!!

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Assombalonga was 21 years old at the time. One for the future and had a few teams after him. Doyle is 26, turning 27 next month. One would say there's much more risk factor in his signing and age is certainly taken into account when buying a striker.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I think it's more Ferguson and his team identifying these lads and improving them, than MacAnthony doing so, but maybe the money being made moving these lads on is keeping the manager / chairman relationship at Peterborough sweeter than if it was just about the clubs league form. Watford also had a first refusal clause, I think, as part of letting Assombalonga go to Peterborough in the first place.
    I agree, Ferguson definitely identifies them. But my point more relates to MacAnthony willing to commission an outlay of around £1m on a striker who Watford probably wouldn't have let go otherwise- he probably recognised the potential, as opposed to identifying it.

It's quite an interesting business model and one which Dwight Gayle and Assombalonga have ensured realises a gain.

Has Doyle got 10 assist so far this season? That's an excellent return also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Doyle off the mark for Cardiff with his 26th of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Won a penalty too.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Second goal for Cardiff to equalise against Mick Mc's Ipswich.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    2 in 5 games now, but that is still 2 in 13 overall, maybe he will kick on an get a few more now though.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Cardiff are comfortably midtable so there's little to play for there at the moment. I think Doyle needed to rack up a couple of goals before the season was out to show he could adapt to Championship. It would have been easy to see Cardiff recouping their fee from an ambitious L1 side with a few pound otherwise. A few more goals while the likes of Simon Cox and Anthony Stokes are staying quiet won't do his chances of a call-up any harm either.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast