Your a patriot, but a crazy one! Pukki is a far better player

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Your a patriot, but a crazy one! Pukki is a far better player
    Of course right now Pukki is a better player, but hes not a top 5 striker in the Premiership, hes pretty average overall. He was horrific at Celtic. If Norwich were willing to sell him I doubt there would be many top end teams that would look at him.

Idah at 20 has the attributes to be excellent if he develops. To say that Pukki isnt untouchable isnt a stretch.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Probably one of the last updates with the new season around the corner:

Nathan Collins played the full game for Burnley against Newcastle: https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/...tm_medium=link

Matt Doherty played all but the last ten minutes in Spurs' glamour friendly against Chelsea: https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/20...?cardIndex=0-0

So have there been major breakthroughs in this pre-season? Probably not - I don't think any young players have really made the case for inclusion in the Autumn qualifiers above those who are already squad members, although Nathan Collins' progress at the start of the season should probably be monitored. In goal, Kelleher is obviously well-liked at Liverpool, but as long as Allisson is fit, he'll be second fiddle, at best. Travers seems to have made progress while Bazunu still seems to need time, which is fine. The ascent of Pym and Bonham to The Championship opens up the option of having Randolph, one youngster and one more experienced keeper in our squads.

In defence, the aforementioned Collins does look well-placed to become an international soon, as does Omobamidele, with McGuinness seeming to be settled at Cardiff. This does give us some good depth for the qualifiers. In midfield, we're looking to the continent, with Johansson, Noss and Patrick getting good minutes. And upfront, James Collins and Adam Idah have made the case to lead the line with four goals each.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Of course right now Pukki is a better player, but hes not a top 5 striker in the Premiership, hes pretty average overall. He was horrific at Celtic. If Norwich were willing to sell him I doubt there would be many top end teams that would look at him.

Idah at 20 has the attributes to be excellent if he develops. To say that Pukki isnt untouchable isnt a stretch.
    I'm glad it happens to someone else as well as me sometimes. Seems Idah is on the way out to Blackburn, either as part of a deal seeing Adam Armstrong going to East Anglia, or a straight cash purchase following Armstrong's transfer. It's unclear how keen Blackburn are, as it seems Norwich are doing the offering - and with other interest (Southampton and Watford) there's no guarantee Armstrong goes to Carrow Road.

In other news, Norwich's social media account this morning very clear on which player has played the most minutes in preseason - Obamamaldini - only joking Tets, Omobamidele. That appears good for him on the surface - a starting PL CB at 19 having made his pro debut only 4 months ago sounds crazy - but reading the local media just now, it seems they are looking for additions in the centre.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I'm glad it happens to someone else as well as me sometimes. Seems Idah is on the way out to Blackburn, either as part of a deal seeing Adam Armstrong going to East Anglia, or a straight cash purchase following Armstrong's transfer. It's unclear how keen Blackburn are, as it seems Norwich are doing the offering - and with other interest (Southampton and Watford) there's no guarantee Armstrong goes to Carrow Road.

In other news, Norwich's social media account this morning very clear on which player has played the most minutes in preseason - Obamamaldini - only joking Tets, Omobamidele. That appears good for him on the surface - a starting PL CB at 19 having made his pro debut only 4 months ago sounds crazy - but reading the local media just now, it seems they are looking for additions in the centre.
    Cannot see Idah being used as a makeweight.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    That Idah makeweight rumour was published on Twitter by Alan Nixon before somehow becoming interpreted as fact on YBIG. Norwich fans on their forum are not impressed with the idea and he seems to be highly rated on there. Southampton are also in for Armstrong and they have a greater need and greater kitty after Danny Ings' move.

Norwich surely wouldn't let Idah go. There are very few centre forward prospects around the Premiership at his age. I'm not saying he is the next Lukaku but his ceiling feels high.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 05/08/2021 at 12:01 PM.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    That Idah makeweight rumour was published on Twitter by Alan Nixon before somehow becoming interpreted as fact on YBIG. Norwich fans on their forum are not impressed with the idea and he seems to be highly rated on there. Southampton are also in for Armstrong and they have a greater need and greater kitty after Danny Ings' move.

Norwich surely wouldn't let Idah go. There are very few centre forward prospects around the Premiership at his age. I'm not saying he is the next Lukaku but his ceiling feels high.
    Reported here as a loan move: https://www.tribalfootball.com/artic...strong-4380832

That would make far more sense, be very happy to see him as a regular in the Championship rather than a bit part player in a team that's very likely to struggle in the EPL.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts

LOL, well I was half right... Pukki not untouchable if they want to sign Armstrong!!

I'd be shocked if they sold Idah, a loan move would make much more sense.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    OK, probably the last update before the EPL season starts:

Full games for Idah and Omobamidele but Norwich were on the receiving end of a 3-0 defeat by Newcastle - Clark played most of the game and Hendrick came on for the last quarter for the Magpies: https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2021...tm_medium=link

Obafemi and Long both played for Southampton in their defeat to Athletic Club: https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2...tm_medium=link

Connolly started and played 3/4 of Brighton's friendly against Getafe, Duffy was a second-half sub: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.co...tm_medium=link

Conor Coventry is still getting minutes for West Ham in glamour friendlies, coming on for the final quarter of their win over Atalanta. Armstrong Okoflex still making the bench (has messing about in meaningless friendlies for Celtic's B team actually prepared him for a Premier League breakthrough?): https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/...tm_medium=link
    Last edited by samhaydenjr; 08/08/2021 at 5:26 AM.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    OK, probably the last update before the EPL season starts:

Full games for Idah and Omobamidele but Norwich were on the receiving end of a 3-0 defeat by Newcastle - Clark played most of the game and Hendrick came on for the last quarter for the Magpies: https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2021...tm_medium=link

Obafemi and Long both played for Southampton in their defeat to Athletic Club: https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2...tm_medium=link

Connolly started and played 3/4 of Brighton's friendly against Getafe, Duffy was a second-half sub: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.co...tm_medium=link

Conor Coventry is still getting minutes for West Ham in glamour friendlies, coming on for the final quarter of their win over Atalanta. Armstrong Okoflex still making the bench (has messing about in meaningless friendlies for Celtic's B team actually prepared him for a Premier League breakthrough?): https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/...tm_medium=link

Thanks Sam, appreciate those updates.
    I was looking for Molumby in the Brighton squads, not a single mention of him. No minutes in pre-season, he's not listed on their official website, and has no squad number. Doesn't appear to be injured, and from reading their North Stand Chat forum, it seems like he hasn't even been training with the first team squad. There was expectation that he would be loaned or sold, but even that has gone quiet.
    Similar limbo for Duffy. Common consensus is that he's not a starter, they will get reinforcements, but can't be sold or loaned because of his high wages, there are no championship takers.
    Lastly on Connolly, either he's got to get a good season-long loan or organised, or he'll be on the fringes of the first-team this season.

17. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Thanks Sam, appreciate those updates.
    I was looking for Molumby in the Brighton squads, not a single mention of him. No minutes in pre-season, he's not listed on their official website, and has no squad number. Doesn't appear to be injured, and from reading their North Stand Chat forum, it seems like he hasn't even been training with the first team squad. There was expectation that he would be loaned or sold, but even that has gone quiet.
    Similar limbo for Duffy. Common consensus is that he's not a starter, they will get reinforcements, but can't be sold or loaned because of his high wages, there are no championship takers.
    Lastly on Connolly, either he's got to get a good season-long loan or organised, or he'll be on the fringes of the first-team this season.
    Why would Connolly go on loan when he’s getting game time at Brighton? His aim should be trying to secure a starting position, loans are for players who are nowhere near the first team, Molumby for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Why would Connolly go on loan when he’s getting game time at Brighton? His aim should be trying to secure a starting position, loans are for players who are nowhere near the first team, Molumby for example.
    Not my opinion, their's. I'm simply recording what their forum has been saying, they expect another forward to come in with the White money, and because of welbeck's injury record.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Not my opinion, their's. I'm simply recording what their forum has been saying, they expect another forward to come in with the White money, and because of welbeck's injury record.
    To be fair I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s more to wanting him out than just his football ( mainly his off field stuff)He would need to score a hat trick to get any sort of credit it seems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    anyone care to do up a provisional squad as things stand right now?

I'd be really interested to see what footiers think are the runners and riders, and how it might change over the next few weeks. Particularly interested in left-back and left-wing back, given Enda Stevens is injured, James McClean hasn't been training with the Stoke squad, and how we've nobody else basically!

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

I'd be really interested to see what footiers think are the runners and riders, and how it might change over the next few weeks. Particularly interested in left-back and left-wing back, given Enda Stevens is injured, James McClean hasn't been training with the Stoke squad, and how we've nobody else basically!
    Greg Cunningham played the first half for Preston this past weekend as a left wing back. I just can't understand why he can't get into the squads, and if he doesn't get into this one, with Stevens injured and Brady without a club, it won't make much sense.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Has the Manning experiment failed?

Joel Bagan another to keep an eye on. Starting LB for Mick McCarthy’s Cardiff this season, it seems. Did well on Saturday according to reports.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Has the Manning experiment failed?

Joel Bagan another to keep an eye on. Starting LB for Mick McCarthy’s Cardiff this season, it seems. Did well on Saturday according to reports.
    No, I don't think it's failed, it hasn't been tried!
    Same with Cunningham, he's never been fit enough for an extended period of time. He's always been on the radar tbf, I completely overlooked him, and I wouldn't mind, I'd actually gone through the chship fixtures on Sat and saw he was selected. Unfortunately their manager seems a bit, eh radical, and hooked him at ht when they were level, changed formation and they went to take a hiding.

Saw the twitter talking about Bagan this morning. starting for Mick no less. At least he'll be proficient at whipping balls into corners. I joke, I joke...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts

I'll have a crack, although I don't think there will be too many changes from where we were earlier in the year - I'm hoping for a lot of breakthroughs over the next 12-18 months, in time for the next Euros, but don't expect a whole lot of change in time for the make-or-break World Cup qualifiers in September, so here goes:

Goalkeepers - I like the idea of having one experienced 'keeper as back-up so I would go with Randolph, Kelleher and Pym

Right-Backs - Coleman and Doherty

Centre-backs - Still solid, experienced options here available in Clark, Egan and Duffy - then depending on who's in the first team when the EPL starts, either Collins or Omobamidele

Left-back - Without Stevens, this is definitely a problem, but O'Shea has some experience there so I would give him the shot

Midfield - Ooh this has become a car crash with McCarthy, Brady and McClean all in such uncertain situations - you might think this might make them droppable but none of their potential replacements have Premier League experience, some have very little first-team experience. So assuming they get themselves sorted in the next two weeks, they are in the squad, along with Hendrick. Browne is probably next up and Cullen is looking more and more important (I saw ten minutes of Anderlecht's first game of the season and he looked very involved). And then there's Hourihane - he's come in for a lot of stick but he still has that weapon of a left foot. Horgan has done well and has the experience so he would probably be the final choice. However a case could be made for Ogbene and what his speed could bring if we are chasing a result

Forwards - Collins and Idah have four goals each in pre-season and should probably lead the line. Robinson has started the season very well. If Long plays for Southampton in the next few weeks, he should be included. I really think we need to find a place for Obafemi's pace but Connolly's six caps probably allows him to edge it.

Looking forward to the October friendly against Oman, this is where we could get a couple of new lads blooded in - how many depends on whether we are still in with a shot - based on pre-season and first Championship weekend we should be looking out for Coventry, Kilkenny, Szmodics, Ebosele, Johansson, Noss, McGrath, John Joe Patrick Finn and Elbouzedi (yes, we're that frustratingly close to having a deep midfield). And if he isn't in the September squad, definitely Obafemi. And as a wildcard, Okoflex has been in the West Ham pre-season squads right up to the end
    Last edited by samhaydenjr; 10/08/2021 at 2:48 AM.

28. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    If we go with two up top I wonder if Robinson and Idah has good potential as a partnership. You would have Idah as the focal point and Robinson a bit more mobile and both are decent finishers. It would also keep Connolly in reserve either as an impact player or until he can find a bit of form.

The two up top was obviously used against Georgia. I'm not sure if we will ever end up sticking to a formation. We could be back to 4-3-3 next month.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Good summary by samhaydenjr. Unfortunately, for me, it emphasises a no-man's-land scenario. We're 7/10 in defence, 3/10 midfield and 2/10 in attack. Brady and McCarthy? Both injury crocks, one with no club and the other now in tier-3 equivalent. Knight I like, Cullen and Browne are ok. Hendrick? No more, thanks. Up front - Robinson the only touch of class. Idah yes, if playing and scoring for Norwich. Collins worthy but limited. Those in your last paragraph - good luck to them, because we very much need 2/3 EPL-standard players to progress.

Oh, you didn't ask but . . . we'll probably need a manager soon.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 10/08/2021 at 8:48 AM. Reason: misspell of sam's name.

31. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast