I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Both games on LOI tv. I think Dundalk will go out, but Bohs will scrape through with a draw.
    You'd hope for a win and a draw again I guess. Dudelange should be stronger than last week as pre-season kicks in, but home advantage will hopefully offset that for Bohs. Dundalk - it's impossible to tell with them really, but needing extra-time to beat Treaty isn't ideal prep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You'd hope for a win and a draw again I guess. Dudelange should be stronger than last week as pre-season kicks in, but home advantage will hopefully offset that for Bohs. Dundalk - it's impossible to tell with them really, but needing extra-time to beat Treaty isn't ideal prep.
    Its is impossible to know which Dundalk will turn up! The extra half hour v Treaty is less an issue in terms of prep/energy levels than the average performance and needing ET to win. In previous years when games were coming thick and fast the players have said they preferred to be playing than training if it builds momentum. As long as there were no injuries to players that VP was forced to bring on to beat Treaty I think we will be ok on the prep side of things - just need to add more consistent good performances. We've learned that Levadia are very attacking orientated, keeper is a bit ropey, cough up chances so nothing like Dundalk at all!! That they dont sit in deep suits us and I dont think we will be caught just as cold again but have to be patient. There is no need to force the game or play high risk high reward stuff with the rule change and that they are at home. It wont be just as warm as it was here the last couple of weeks but will be quite humid - Measured and composed isnt too much to hope for!? Hoped Duffy would be back whatever 'personal health reason' is, isolating with covid is the general assumption but I dont think anything more official has been said. If true hopefully not a long covid issue.

Bohs are in a great position and the bigger pitch will suit them, if they play anywhere near the previous performance at the Aviva they're through.

I see that Inter coughed up their lead against the Albanians in the end. Shows that Teuta have a little bit of fight in them. Rovers still big favourites to make the PO round, joking aside the draw has been kind after playing/losing one tie, to be in that round from being unseeded even if via the champions pathway - it emphasises how badly P6 messed up their own investment in Dundalk, league champions and seeded is such an opportunity especially considering what they've payed players. Rovers will need to guard against being sucker punched though I doubt they will be that complacent, it would be a big shock not to go through comfortably!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 29/07/2021 at 3:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Its is impossible to know which Dundalk will turn up! The extra half hour v Treaty is less an issue in terms of prep/energy levels than the average performance and needing ET to win. In previous years when games were coming thick and fast the players have said they preferred to be playing than training if it builds momentum. As long as there were no injuries to players that VP was forced to bring on to beat Treaty I think we will be ok on the prep side of things - just need to add more consistent good performances. We've learned that Levadia are very attacking orientated, keeper is a bit ropey, cough up chances so nothing like Dundalk at all!! That they dont sit in deep suits us and I dont think we will be caught just as cold again but have to be patient. There is no need to force the game or play high risk high reward stuff with the rule change and that they are at home. It wont be just as warm as it was here the last couple of weeks but will be quite humid - Measured and composed isnt too much to hope for!? Hoped Duffy would be back whatever 'personal health reason' is, isolating with covid is the general assumption but I dont think anything more official has been said. If true hopefully not a long covid issue.

Bohs are in a great position and the bigger pitch will suit them, if they play anywhere near the previous performance at the Aviva they're through.

I see that Inter coughed up their lead against the Albanians in the end. Shows that Teuta have a little bit of fight in them. Rovers still big favourites to make the PO round, joking aside the draw has been kind after playing/losing one tie, to be in that round from being unseeded even if via the champions pathway - it emphasises how badly P6 messed up their own investment in Dundalk, league champions and seeded is such an opportunity especially considering what they've payed players. Rovers will need to guard against being sucker punched though I doubt they will be that complacent, it would be a big shock not to go through comfortably!

I'm not sure a LOI team not going through could ever be a big shock LOL but yes we should be looking to get past these if we can perform to the levels we hit against Slovan. Getting through (1 if) and winning the league (2 ifs) would/Should see us seeded in the first round of the Champions league next year which should give us a great chance of getting a winnable first round.
    Its a double whammy if we lose, gutted AND probably unseeded next year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Its is impossible to know which Dundalk will turn up! The extra half hour v Treaty is less an issue in terms of prep/energy levels than the average performance and needing ET to win.
    Yeah, it's not the extra half-hour so much as the fact that if ye couldn't beat Limerick in 90 minutes, even a weak European opponent like Tallinn is going to be tough!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yeah, it's not the extra half-hour so much as the fact that if ye couldn't beat Limerick in 90 minutes, even a weak European opponent like Tallinn is going to be tough!
    I agree totally, too much focus locally is on the extra half hour game time and less on the performance - getting excuses in early maybe. I think Treaty would have been a tricky cup game for any side and its a credit to them in their 1st season. I think this season especially we have struggled most against teams that let us have the ball and sit in. I dont think Levadia can play that way especially at home and it suits us better. A big jump in performance is needed but there were some good spells in the 1st leg, didnt make sustained pressure count, but there was enough to suggest that we have a good chance of going through if we put a decent shift. I'm more hopeful than having expectation, which seems to be the general consensus rather than just my usual expect the worst and be happily surprised. Any last minute shenanigans that puts us out and I may retire as a fan for the rest of the season.....

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Heard from a bohs fan that if bohs get thro tonight they will play against PAOK on tuesday in the aviva as shamrock rovers have first call on venue. Think thats a tad unfair imo.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I'm not sure a LOI team not going through could ever be a big shock LOL but yes we should be looking to get past these if we can perform to the levels we hit against Slovan. Getting through (1 if) and winning the league (2 ifs) would/Should see us seeded in the first round of the Champions league next year which should give us a great chance of getting a winnable first round.
    Its a double whammy if we lose, gutted AND probably unseeded next year
    Very true, lost the run of myself there. Nah I think Rovers are professional enough, never mind being the much better side, to see it through over two legs. If it were the one off games like last year anything could happen ala any cup tie. Again maybe its been said before but the sort of intangible value to getting seeded is being undervalued by our owners and Rovers experience this season shows it. One win as a seeded side in UCL and still parachute twice more (Dundalk possibly seeded in EL QR2 also) in to a PO round if ye lose - criminal waste and mismanagement for 'investors' when a budget should have you in the title race - talk about shooting yerself in the foot. At this stage its possible to consider about $1mil minimum most seasons and with a decent chance of significantly more. How hard can it be to get the domestic house in order with resources available and the incentive. You are being a bit like myself though sbgawa in fearing the disappointment especially considering the significance of one very very winnable tie!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Heard from a bohs fan that if bohs get thro tonight they will play against PAOK on tuesday in the aviva as shamrock rovers have first call on venue. Think thats a tad unfair imo.
    I think thats a UEFA ruling. If 2 sides from the one country/city are drawn at home same night then the highest ranked side or higher competition get first dibs on date and venue. Open to correction on that though though of course the FAI is just an extension of SRFC so would get 1st option anyway.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 29/07/2021 at 4:18 PM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post

Rovers will not play in the Aviva so Bohs can have it any day they want.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Rovers will not play in the Aviva so Bohs can have it any day they want.
    I’m not totally sure but I don’t think it’s a venue thing. UEFA generally don’t allow two teams in the same city play at home on the same night so that will be the reason for the change of date. The higher ranked club usually always get priority.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Early assessment - two very evenly matched sides, whomever doesnt make an error is the key, not to get caught to far forward at the back. Saving energy for later in the game.

*and spoke too soon. Still have to score anyway. Good finish but 2 men free at the back post. Pace at the back not there for a high line. Open game would have been perfect for Duffy, ho hum!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Dreadful goalkeeping

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Would have to see it again but badly exposed, 2 options never mind shooting. Nattestad pulled in toward the ball too easily. Need to just stay in the game for now, take the sting out of it. Patience lads!

Sun is annoying me watching, Keeper should be wearing a cap, did he lose the flight of the ball as he looked to be shielding his eyes....excuses excuses....

They mustnt know about playing the whistle. A player sits on his arse and they lose it when Dundalk dont put the ball out when attacking? Was it near around about or in the box, looked on the line to me. Better spell from Dundalk, Levadia now sitting in on the lead, letting us have the ball, and hit on the break which we werent dealing with very well. Game is still there if nothing soft conceded. Quite a good game bar the goal. Clipping the crossbar too. Still dont think we need to force things yet. Weve been able to get in behind them with some decent passing moves at better pace than in the cup game. Keep them moving about and hopefully fatigue will be an issue later. Did I mention how this game is made for Michael Duffy? Interesting chitchat about Drogheda penos in the background

*Ok so maybe the winner will be the keeper who fluffs it least!!! (Im nervously rambling just a bit i think .....)
    Last edited by Nesta99; 29/07/2021 at 6:16 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Dodgy keepers on both sides. Fair play to McMillan, he's a proper goalscorer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    14 goals now for McMillan in Europe - level with Roy Keane and one behind Robbie Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Larne 1 up on Aarhus who are down to 10 men,3-1 on aggregate now,would that be one of the best results a Irish league side has ever had in Europe if they finish off the tie?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Very last gasp winner looks like it's sent Dundalk through - Patching again

What was he doing on loan in the first half of the season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Huge goal for Dundalk…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    What a way to win the game, into the third round now, hopefully Bohs to follow next which would mean 3 clubs into the third round, that'll do.

24. Thanks From:

Page 33 of 80 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast