Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Easter fixtures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    That was one of the worst games of football I have ever seen. Two teams who didnt look like they knew how to do even the basic things. It was entertaining in terms of how many basic mistakes and errors both teams made. Have to think confidence is completely shattered for City.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Agree on the Duffy goal, I thought he had taken it too wide but managed to wrap the foot around it and put it away. It was a peno imo, clumsy from the fullback but it was one of those when contact is felt the player goes over so arguably soft in that regard. The UCD players did stop playing, the whistle had gone so no argument there at all. Maybe a rule should be introduced that the ball should go dead before the half/game can be ended ended. The only time that it is particularly rankles for me in these incidents is when the ref indicates that there is time to play and then blows the whistle. Ive seen it a few times when a side does take a short corner or free rather than going direct based on the ref saying that there was a bit of time left.

It would have been a good 3 points for Derry away at the RSC. It will be interesting to see the peno that salvaged a point for Waterford. Cork are seriously struggling for goals but for Sligo it was a good point on the road. I really thought Harps would be a handful at home but it a pity to see them cut adrift so early in the season. Pats have now won 3 and drawn 1 of their last 5 games including a win and a draw at 2 clubs that have been dominant over the last 5 season so Im not so sure why there are a few Pats fans so disillusioned, a bit inconsistant I suppose but a new manager and changes to the squad it wouldnt be unusual for early season form to be patchy!?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Yeah, thought it was a definite penalty. Thought Hoban was rightly booked for diving in the second half too (there was air between him and Kearns).

I presume with the corner, the ref said/decided that Dundalk had one go to score from here because the one minute of injury time was up. We cleared - so he blew up for half-time. But we didn't actually clear very well - the header was more up than out - and it landed nicely for whoever it was who blasted home.

But the whistle had gone when we headed up, so as you say, there's no argument at all about the ref's actions in disallowing the goal. I don't think there's a need to introduce a "Ball going dead" rule around half-time - though I think somewhere I saw it mooted. Again, I don't know if the ref said anything to either team at the corner, but if he indicated it was score this or it's immediately half-time, then everything's quite clear and there's no need for rule changes - more than maybe some fans need to understand them better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    That was one of the worst games of football I have ever seen. Two teams who didnt look like they knew how to do even the basic things. It was entertaining in terms of how many basic mistakes and errors both teams made. Have to think confidence is completely shattered for City.
    You'd have to be concerned if a Cork fan. Bar a late equaliser in the RSC and a gap would have started to appear from the relegation play-off spot. A difficult trip to the Brandywell and Sligo playing Harps Friday and something might have to give at Turner Cross. The drop off from pushing for the title and a cup final to potentially sitting 3rd bottom is quite startling for Cork. If UCD were to surprise Pats too? How could Caulfield hang on with confidence shredded and in a relegaton spot. I think Cork have enough about them not to be in a relegation battle but it is not looking too good for JC and the lift a change of manager can bring is what looks to be needed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I'm not sure it'd be a surprise if we beat Pat's.

Not saying I expect it to happen, but we've been playing very well lately and just not getting results. But now we've Derry/Bohs/Dundalk in a row out of the way, I would hope to see us start getting a few results against the non-top-four. There's a gap between the top four and the rest from what I've seen (though points-wise it's only three points)

I expected Cork to drop away a bit this year, but not this much. Saw somewhere that they've only got one player who's scored from open play this season? That's mad stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yeah, thought it was a definite penalty. Thought Hoban was rightly booked for diving in the second half too (there was air between him and Kearns).
    He has to keep top of the goal scoring charts somehow as he isnt so prolific from open play at the moment lol. Yeah, rule change is probably not necessary if a bit of improvement in communication between ref and players would suffice. Im sure it would all be discussed with a different air among Dundalk fans if points had been dropped

I was basing my 'surprise' win for UCD purely on the league table positions. It's certainly well withing UCD to win. From what i've seen from back to the cup semi final and this season UCD are a handy side and with a touch of luck and a less intense fixture list would be higher up the table.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 22/04/2019 at 8:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    A record breaking evening for Harps,we lost for the 10th league game in a row,Pats turned up were professional,miles better than us and sauntered to 3 points,I honestly only go now out of duty but its wearing thin.......
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    logged onto livescore to get the details of tonight's games, and when i saw 3:1 to Dundalk i wondered how many of those dundalk goals were penalties.
    sure enough their 1st goal was a peno. I've no idea if it was a soft or fair peno but boy oh boy do dundalk know how to manage the "dark arts" of football.
    They seem to be awarded a penalty every single week, without fail .
    something for Rovers to work on there methinks.

cork are poison, surely JC has to go?
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Fair dues to RTÉ having the goals already

But it does look like Doyle actually got the ball and knocked it out for a corner. Not sure if it was a peno now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    logged onto livescore to get the details of tonight's games, and when i saw 3:1 to Dundalk i wondered how many of those dundalk goals were penalties.
    sure enough their 1st goal was a peno. I've no idea if it was a soft or fair peno but boy oh boy do dundalk know how to manage the "dark arts" of football.

https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/sta...32280424206336

That was Dundalk’s sixth penalty in 11 and a bit matches so far this season … The Lilywhites only got 7 in 36 league games last season, 3 in 2017 and 2 in 2016.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Went down to the UCD game. Thought it was a decent enough game but pitch didn't help, though I believe rugby is over now so it should improve. Thought the penalty was very soft but I'd need to see it again to be sure either way. Duffy took his goal well, thought his touch was just too strong for a second but he just got there. Nice to see a good crowd in too. The Dundalk goal that wasn't is one of those things where ref blew up as ball was cleared, UCD players stopped, Dundalk put it in the net, a lose lose situation once the ball hit the net for him, think that rule needs looking at though, similar happened to Rovers on Friday when we had a corner, took it short and the ref blew up and it's very infuriating when it's your team but in fairness its hard for a ref to judge.
    You're getting fond of these trips RH. Didn't you also go the UCD v Cork game last week ?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Heard this from a few other Cork fans online. I've yet to watch Soccer Rep but Id say the reaction at FT was quite obvious from the fans?

So where do you think it will go from here, plod along and hope for a change of fortunes or just accept its going to be a transition year and stick with JC ?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    You're getting fond of these trips RH. Didn't you also go the UCD v Cork game last week ?
    I was there but don't think I said that on here? Following me are we Oriel?

What can I say, UCD is just a really pleasant place to watch some good football when Rovers aren't playing and it's not far from my gaff so easy to just hop down there for a game.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Went down to the UCD game. Thought it was a decent enough game but pitch didn't help, though I believe rugby is over now so it should improve.
    The pitch at Belfield looked shocking on Soccer Republic. Dry and bumpy with the grass too long. Worst I've seen in quite a while.

Two decent wins for us In a row, so hopefully we can carry that on against UCD on Friday. I don't expect it to be easy though. We were very poor against Derry last Monday (who are having a fine season it has to be acknowledged) so I take nothing for granted. Need to win these games though.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oriel
    You're getting fond of these trips RH. Didn't you also go the UCD v Cork game last week
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop
    What can I say, UCD is just a really pleasant place to watch some good football when Rovers aren't playing and it's not far from my gaff so easy to just hop down there for a game.
    Thanks to everyone for coming to The UCD Bowl in recent weeks. Delighted people had a positive experience.
    We are an FC ourselves but Bank Holiday Mondays will attract diversity and that's welcome.

Anybody is welcome to The UCD Bowl 'specially with mid-table so tight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I've seen a lot worse! First half was awful but thought it picked up somewhat in the second half. We're just toothless up front. Hopefully if we can get Ronan Murray going and Parkes fit that might change. Cork a shadow of the team they were.

Small crowd as well by Cork standards. If crowds keep dipping then it might make the decision on Caulfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Thought Pats were poor enough to be honest. We had chances, but couldn't score in a whore house at the minute. Caolan McAleer hit the bar after about 15 or 20 minutes, and that's as good as it got for us.

As Joey said above though, Pats done a professional job. They'll surely improve as the season goes on. They've a long way to go yet though. Vulnerable at the back, and seems a lack of communication across the park. Forrester looks a shadow of the player that left the league a couple of years ago. Drennan looks to have added about 2 or 3 stone in weight from even last season.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post

Vinny Perth was well schooled at Rovers under Pat Scully(?) and has passed on the dark arts. Tbh I think it is the experience gained from playing in Europe. BATE were one of the most cynical sides Ive ever seen, the difference in us between the first year we played them and the following year we knocked them out was very evident. Penalties awarded this season havent been that contentious until the 'in, at, near' the box decision v Bohs. I thought todays penalty was awarded for the defender clipping the ankles from behind rather than by the player knocking the ball out for a corner. Will have to watch Soccer Republic to see it again. It is a bit mad that Hoban is the leagues top scorer yet has only one from open play. Now that its mentioned PC you can bet that there will be a contentious peno decision Froday night lol

Actually here is an example of where the dark arts could have worked. Ronan Coughlins run in to the box at about 25 seconds in, the way the Cork defender had is arm across, looked like he was pulling the the arm back and then over the should too - another player might have gone to ground and given the ref a decision to make. A penalty could well have been given if Coughlin had been 'cute' about it!
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...igo-stalemate/
    Last edited by Nesta99; 22/04/2019 at 11:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Thought Pats were poor enough to be honest. We had chances, but couldn't score in a whore house at the minute. Caolan McAleer hit the bar after about 15 or 20 minutes, and that's as good as it got for us.

As Joey said above though, Pats done a professional job. They'll surely improve as the season goes on. They've a long way to go yet though. Vulnerable at the back, and seems a lack of communication across the park. Forrester looks a shadow of the player that left the league a couple of years ago. Drennan looks to have added about 2 or 3 stone in weight from even last season.

I'm not too sure about us being vulnerable at the back, we've only conceded 10 goals so far this season, our problem is going forward where we just hoof the balls into the corner and hope for the best.

2 wins on the bounce but they were against the 2 worst teams in the league. I fully expect UCD to beat us on Friday.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I think the Saints Lads are goig to have to go on a positive thinking course

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast