Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 season arrivals and departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I cant see Ryan being on a whole lot and would have been a better longer term option than an aging McNulty. McNulty as back up on a new reduced contract would have made sense, unless Fenn has other options in mind for 'keeper!?
    Liam Bossin has been signed as a keeper while McNulty is taking up a coaching role as well as being back up keeper. We also have David Harrington a young keeper, son of former keeper & goal keeping coach Phil "Biscuits" Harrington.
    I liked Ryan myself & thought he was a great shot stopper but the thinking may be that with Bossin & McNulty there as well as Harrington we should be ok for keepers.

I'm more worried about the lack of a decent centre back & some experience elsewhere rather that a keeper at present.
    There are talks of players coming in from outside Ireland but we don't know who they are ?
    Most likely loans from the UK.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    Liam Bossin has been signed as a keeper while McNulty is taking up a coaching role as well as being back up keeper. We also have David Harrington a young keeper, son of former keeper & goal keeping coach Phil "Biscuits" Harrington.
    I liked Ryan myself & thought he was a great shot stopper but the thinking may be that with Bossin & McNulty there as well as Harrington we should be ok for keepers.

I'm more worried about the lack of a decent centre back & some experience elsewhere rather that a keeper at present.
    There are talks of players coming in from outside Ireland but we don't know who they are ?
    Most likely loans from the UK.
    Makes sense, doubling up a reserve keeper with goalkeeping coach, young lad as a number 3 is plenty of cover. Dont know much about Bossin bar whats online. Good former club experience? Would he have been a less costly option than keeping Ryan if the squad needs adding to elsewhere. There are quite a few trailists on the go this preseason by all accounts so ye never know where a player could crop up albeit maybe not with the experience hoped for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    That'd be my worry if I was a Cork fan, they seem to have put faith in Bossin rather than Ryan (or Clarkie on loan if that was to be believed) when he has absolutely minimal first team experience. Could well turn out to be a good call obviously but for the time being seems a massive risk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Worst case scenario cork have mcnulty who hasn't become tomar chenchenski overnight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Worst case scenario cork have mcnulty who hasn't become tomar chenchenski overnight
    Maybe not quite but he did have a ropey season by former standards, but then of course Cork had a ropey season in general. He was obviously so apolegetic for those celebrations he threw the ball in to the net a couple of times to make amends, just in case it was his last season!!

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Striker Luke Moore (34 in Feb) rumoured to be trialling with Shamrock Rovers. Perhaps he is the hatstand Rovers have been seeking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I hear Jamie McGrath is signing for St Mirren

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    I hear Jamie McGrath is signing for St Mirren

Journalist James Rogers tends to be a very reliable source

Jamie McGrath Scotland bound this morning where he is expected to complete a deal to join SPL side St Mirren. He will be joined in Paisley by Cork City defender Conor McCarthy

The 23-year-old midfielder also had another offer within the SPL as well as others in England and Belgium, as well as from Dundalk. All going well he could make his SPL debut at Ibrox against Rangers on Wednesday January 22nd.

https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/sta...42165595709440

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Echo also carrying the imminent deal for Conor McCarthy to St Mirren

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/Co...14c6ba5635b-ds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    The Belgium link is interesting, with Dundalk's recent European pedigree you'd like to think Irish players would have been noticed further afield than SPL & lower leagues in England

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Any news on the Nigerian lad who got all the retweet to get a trial for Cork City

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Striker Luke Moore (34 in Feb) rumoured to be trialling with Shamrock Rovers. Perhaps he is the hatstand Rovers have been seeking?
    Hasn't played since 2015 with Toronto?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    The Belgium link is interesting, with Dundalk's recent European pedigree you'd like to think Irish players would have been noticed further afield than SPL & lower leagues in England
    That's caught a few peoples attention especially from outside LoI Irish fans. Could be a combination of things but the way the u21 (and other underage Irish sides) are currently performing + the way they are trying to play with significant signs of progress. Idah, Parrot, Connolly, as examples, getting 1st team football as kids in a top league and making an impact (so far so good) - and most importantly lads have come through the Irish game at some point if not LoI and it may not an aberration to the past formula of randomly talented Irish lads with the granny rule to make a side. So despite the FAI BS, Paddy isnt looking all lump and lope or produced entirely abroad. Add to that the performances of LoI in Europe, even with the blips in progress and clubs from more technical leagues than Scotland and (lower tiers in) England are going to try sniff out a bargain.

Could be good for clubs' finances, great for the international teams, but another drain of quality from the league. It's one player so I'll try to not lose the run of myself but I think if it was suggested 15 or 20 years ago that any Dundalk/LoI player out of contract or not, were potentially on the radar of continental clubs, I'd probably sway toward it being a positive overall. All academic as McGrath chose a league that I dont think he will thrive in, Paisley over Mechelen - not for any money!!

What is looking positive for the league at the moment is the number of trialists looking to get a contract here as a viable option.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 07/01/2020 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Kevin O'Connor signed for Waterford this am.

Jamie McGrath almost certainly to St Mirren.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Hopefully it is good to see Waterford spending some money, I'll go with naive optimism that Power is sticking with Waterford as opposed to them being financially screwed in 6 months

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    definitely training with us, hasn't had a club since 2016 according to his wiki!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    That'd be my worry if I was a Cork fan, they seem to have put faith in Bossin rather than Ryan (or Clarkie on loan if that was to be believed) when he has absolutely minimal first team experience. Could well turn out to be a good call obviously but for the time being seems a massive risk.
    Tadgh Ryan was fine, he wasn't as good as people seem to think. He made some spectacuklar saves but made plenty of mistakes at the same time. His reputation was largely built on saves in a friendly game against Preston and the fact that he was a change from Mark McNulty who had a poor season. I don't think he was a significant improvement on Nults.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=8610

Signed Billy King ex Hearts , reads as a decent signing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Starting off 2020's #greatestleagueintheworld entries strongly, Dundalk fans have found out about an American lad, Jesus "Chino" Perez, that's in on trial for preseason after one of our female fans swiped left on him on Tinder and he said he's with the club in his Tinder bio. Absolutely classic.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=8610

Signed Billy King ex Hearts , reads as a decent signing.
    King of Hearts ..eh.. think we have a compendium of games related League of Ireland 11 to occupy us for the rest of the off season, Nine Men`s ( Ian) Morriss, Buckogammon...I`ll get my Coat ( Court Piece)

Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast