Page 61 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1615

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Dundalk is the Europa League is a bigger deal than kicking practice for the rugger buggers. The IRFU may be within their rights in refusing Dundalk the use of The Aviva, but if they approached this issue in a spirit of generosity rather than arrogance, petty-mindedness and mean-spiritedness, then Dundalk could be accommodated. Hulsizer seems a tad arrogant himself, so that probably hasn't helped.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    I think it's a bit of a leap here to say the IRFU have acted with "arrogance, petty-mindedness and mean-spiritedness"

If the IRFU had the ground booked and Dundalk came along and announced that they were using it without agreement (as whatever else, there was clearly no agreement here), it seems reasonable for them to stand their ground.

I don't know if that's what happened, but it's enough for me not to jump in with a two-footed lunge on the IRFU

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Kicking practice is part of the lead up to every rugby game. The Italians will be given time for it as well, they'll be given time for a normal training session too. This isn't something new the IRFU have just introduced to stop Dundalk playing there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I don’t think Dundalk jumped the gun in announcing the games would be in the Aviva. I’m guessing that what happened was that it wasn’t realised that the rugby crowd would be using it on the Thursday and Friday before their game. The use of the Aviva was probably provisionally in place prior to the play off game. The issue, as ever, is Dundalk’s chairman shooting his mouth off in public instead of sorting the issue out in private.
    It’s unfortunate that there is this clash and it would have been a sign of goodwill and cooperation if the IRFU found a way to accommodate Dundalk and their own need for kicking practice.

The bigger picture in all this is an ownership who seem to have no interest in developing a stadium of their own to play these games in, considering that they are open that their aim is to play European group games regularly. If they don’t want to develop our own stadium then it is ridiculous to publicly criticise the owners/operators of the only suitable venues for these games in the country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I don’t think Dundalk jumped the gun in announcing the games would be in the Aviva. I’m guessing that what happened was that it wasn’t realised that the rugby crowd would be using it on the Thursday and Friday before their game.
    Honestly, that's the very definition of jumping the gun.

If they'd enquired about booking the venue, the first thing they'd have been told was that it was in use. (And this seems to be the equivalent of all clubs in European football having the right to a session at the match venue beforehand)

If they didn't know about it (and I know you're just suggesting this as a possibility, not stating it as fact), then it means they didn't bother asking the venue organisers if the slots were available. So they jumped the gun.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Kicking practice is no more than a couple of hours in he morning for one team and afternoon for the other. The full training session at the stadium dont usually happen on the same day. It was scheduled long before Dundalk had any need to use the stadium. I dont know how long it takes to get the ground ready for the EL but I cant imagine there not being the time to do whats necessary, The pitch wont have been cut up as it a light session and any scrummaging prep isnt done on the main pitch it. Dundalk and Molde could do their stadium sessions earlier in the week. I think that there just has been too much sniping between Bill and the IRFU, more cordial behaviour could have come to an arrangement - but this very public spat means heels are well dug in. Bill isnt used to not getting what he wants probably and issues in Ireland would be nonissues in the US.

i dont think the iRFU doing this out of spite, there s a clash in the schedule that coud have been worked out. One of the main issues would be the additional people from UEFA, DFC. IRFU and World Rugby and this could be an issue under covid. But again not an insurmountable proplem that could be arranged. Bill shouting in public was not very helpful!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Why would the IRFU go out of their way at all to accomodate Dundalk?

There is no quid pro quo benefit that Dundalk could some day offer them in return that I can see or think of?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Molde would be entitled to use the ground the previous evening (under UEFA rules). I think those sessions typically take place at the same time as kick-off.

So maybe it's just not possible to arrange a football training session on Wednesday, a rugby training session on Thursday morning and again in the afternoon, and then back to football for Thursday evening?

Either way, it does seem like the bould Bill simply announced the venue without bothering to check first. So that's his problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    This won't help either. https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-40065317.html

The lack of understanding from the Dundalk chairman and owners around stadium management and the culture of Irish sport and business is astonishing.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    This won't help either. https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-40065317.html

The lack of understanding from the Dundalk chairman and owners around stadium management and the culture of Irish sport and business is astonishing.
    For curiosity what part do you think wont help - that Peak6 appear to have made an offer around operating the stadium or the fact that the Irish Examiner has published this story?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Both the timing of the story and the idea that a third party could waltz in and take over managing the Aviva, no matter what the cash offer.

Never, ever, ever going to happen. Particularly not to a company that owns a sporting franchise in Ireland. Cuckoo in the nest and all that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Both the timing of the story and the idea that a third party could waltz in and take over managing the Aviva, no matter what the cash offer.

Never, ever, ever going to happen. Particularly not to a company that owns a sporting franchise in Ireland. Cuckoo in the nest and all that.
    100% Too many foreign but mainly American business people or American based consortiums seem to think can just come in to Ireland & Uk buy a football club and run it like sport "franchises" as they call them (but I hate that world when used to describe sports teams) are run in the USA. We'll just change the team colours, name, etc and sure there would be no problem moving home games to a location hours away
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    There hasnt been any franchising of clubs Peak6 have been involved in that Ive seen, not at Dundak anyway. So a loss making management company was being offered 30mil, all losses covered but if there was a profit it would be split. At a time when both the FAI and IRFU are talking bout being on the verge of collapse if they dont get money. Maybe they could have negotiated a better figure but i dont see a whole lot wrong with a deal that includes a lump sum and all losses covered. Even for 5 years it would go a long way to get over bcd era. Culture around Irish sport is pretty toxic at the best of times so might be time to change!

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    100% Too many foreign but mainly American business people or American based consortiums seem to think can just come in to Ireland & Uk buy a football club and run it like sport "franchises" as they call them (but I hate that world when used to describe sports teams) are run in the USA. We'll just change the team colours, name, etc and sure there would be no problem moving home games to a location hours away

I know this has happened in the USA and elements of it have happened in the UK, but are you suggesting that this is prevalent in League of Ireland?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-40065530.html

“Vinny picked the players and why they didn’t play for him, I don’t know. But at some point, it’s about results, we expect to win. Our wage bill is double that of anyone in the league so we’ve got to do better.”

Even if dundalk were winning the league this year the players they have aren't worth spending that much money on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    As part of that plan, Hulsizer admitted that Dundalk were looking to move up to 10 games each season from Oriel Park to the Aviva.
    I think this was known before, but it does look like Peak6 are only involved with Dundalk to try get their hands on Lansdowne Road. No different to the guys putting millions into Drogheda/Shels/Cork to try get a big housing project going (well, except Peak6 don't seem to have put any money in)

It does seem like the league would be better off without these guys. They're adding nothing, and their plans seem dodgy. They don't seem to have accounted for the IRFU having the main stake in Lansdowne either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I'm not sure how getting involved with Dundalk would sway an opportunity to get their hands on the Aviva. Sounds more opportunistic from the point that the FAI defaulting on their share became public knowledge. It would show amazing insight if they bought Dundalk to advance a plan to get the Aviva knowing that JD was cooking the books and a world pandemic would leave everyone in the sh1t....maybe they released the virus as part of the sinister plot!!

I'm still not totally convinced on Peak6's intentions but so far they have done no more or no less that what they stated from day 1. They purchased the club, including cash assets, which entitled them to spend it as they saw fit. Many of us disagree on their priorities, but now certainly under covid football, they are bound to be subsidising things with their 'own' money. Bill seems mad as a badger here, to me he sounds American and says exactly what he thinks - loudly! Never sits well in Ireland when people dont sit quietly in their place. Maybe he is completely bonkers but as an associate of sports investment firm they looked to offer basically a risk free financial break for FAI/IRFU - it was the IRFU that said that the professional game could be gone in Ireland wthin a year if it doesnt get government support, how rude of Peak6 to suggest an alternative that would have mutual benefits (im sure they knew all about and would care greatly about restrictions in place for the residents of Landsdowne Rd). Have people already forgotten how Delaney turned down €75m that would have cleared AAviva debt with some change, becuse the thought they could do better themselves, ended up ponying up €5mil for backing out of other deals and about a decade later need a 20mil government bailout and still owe €35mil on the stadium. The IRFU wouldnt be useless but the still have the begging bowl out and are turning down income and debt relief probably on a principle or some sense of pride - during extremely volatile financial times. I know Americans can rankle in general but havinga big mouth isnt a crime or that we'd be better off without these guys, giving the tree a shake can be a good thing sometimes!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 16/10/2020 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Given the wage budget is double anyone else's not winning the league this year will probably mean major losses next year.....will they gamble on winning the league and having access to the champions path again in 2022?? Or cut and run with this year's EL money..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Given the wage budget is double anyone else's not winning the league this year will probably mean major losses next year.....will they gamble on winning the league and having access to the champions path again in 2022?? Or cut and run with this year's EL money..
    It's certainly possible. I have my doubts about Peak6 the same as from their takeover, but tbh they have done what they said they would. That doesnt mean that the risk of being left high and dry is a constant concern. Maybe if they had a stake in the Aviva they would stick around longer. But all that aside, there is a whole lot of trying to read between the lines when maybe there is just nothing there. Eg moving up to 10 game to the Aviva, well we have been moving games to Dublin and with a run to the a group stage thats near 10 games anyway. I didnt see moving 10 league games as the proposal. Now maybe they would try for a Super Saturday type thing where 2 or 3 high profie league games are played over a day, but thats every bit as speculative as everything else. Saying that wages are double everyone elses? Well if thats a brag is a daft one and not a badge of honour unless the league is won and it results in regular progression in Europe. Agents must be making a killing on us, especially if you are showing your hand on the sort of wages willing to be payed and not necessarily to higher calibre of players. Maybe management didnt utilise the calibre of squad available for whatever reason or maybe scouting was rubbish, advisors useless or had an easy and willing cash cow. Loud, brash, and not at all the norms in the country, Bill will divide opinion if we were to win the damn CL. P6 will always be viewed at with suspicion. It doesnt mean that putting a proposal in for the Aviva is a marker of a grander plot when buying Dundalk FC, or that its even a bad idea for FAI/IRFU to consider under the current circumstances. I do think there is a time limit of Peak6 staying with Dundalk, this EL campaign may be the best timed progression as it serves as a reminder that in can be done - but probably only really by winning the league first, which needed a reminder too. For what its worth Im not fully convinced by FG yet irrespective of EL and improved results. Yes the players have taken to the way he has changed up training etc and he is starting from a seriously low point in terms of confidence, he seems well grounded, but over a full and proper season of if his first round of games had been Rovers, Bohs, and bast of the rest - well we have to wait and see. He could end up being a football genius...

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I'm not sure how getting involved with Dundalk would sway an opportunity to get their hands on the Aviva. Sounds more opportunistic from the point that the FAI defaulting on their share became public knowledge.
    You might be right. But then what are they here for? It's not to invest in Dundalk; they seem to have hardly put a penny in, to the extent that the 2019 accounts did indicate that this year was do or die for Dundalk in terms of Europe. Is it to try move players around and get money from transfer fees? But pretty much all the players they've brought in from outside the league have been flops. It's all a little bit weird really.

Page 61 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast