Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: LoI Fixtures 11 May to 15 May

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Sorry to say but it's time to consider a change. Not working for Lyttle who should be able to do better as I think the squad is actually probably better than what Robertson had assembled.
    We don't really look like winning any games.
    The Sligo public have funded one disastrous appointment after another since Heary. The club is a professional one but run by amateurs and can't be sustained under such a regime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I’d probably think (hope) we’d be able to finish ahead of Limerick and Bray but can’t see his contract being renewed for sure.

As for tonight at least we created a few chances for a change. Now need to figure out how to take them. Always going to be tough missing so many.

Pitch in Inchicore is a great condition.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    For the first time we have clear water between the top five and the bottom five. Hard to call the relegation battle but I think Shamrock Rovers probably have enough to just about keep out of it.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    I’d probably think (hope) we’d be able to finish ahead of Limerick and Bray but can’t see his contract being renewed for sure.

As for tonight at least we created a few chances for a change. Now need to figure out how to take them. Always going to be tough missing so many.

You missed an absolute sitter with about 5 minutes to go, which would have made it 1-1. Barry Murphy also pulled off a great save in the first half. Having said that I thought we were the better side overall. I'd like us to have a bit more of a cutting edge though. Impressed with Thomas Byrne for us, not a centre forward,but he did well when switched to the wing.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Sadlier isn’t getting much of a look in, not sure why he’s always been mentioned by the press and fans alike. He’s done far better than Dylan Connolly but not by so much you could see him getting a call up himself quickly or anything like that. For me the stand out player this season has been Bastian Heri

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Sadlier isn’t getting much of a look in, not sure why he’s always been mentioned by the press and fans alike. He’s done far better than Dylan Connolly but not by so much you could see him getting a call up himself quickly or anything like that. For me the stand out player this season has been Bastian Heri

Dylan Connolly has been struggling to make an impact and is hardly the benchmark to measure anyone by -although he has two successive vastly improved performances in the past week.

Bastien Heri has certainly been impressive but Michael Duffy has been in phenomenal form. On Monday night he scored his 8th goal of the season from left wing. He is also on 9 assists. If he was the club penalty taker he be the leagues top scorer. His stats are superior to even what Daryl Horgan achieved at the club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Dylan Connolly has been struggling to make an impact and is hardly the benchmark to measure anyone by -although he has two successive vastly improved performances in the past week.

Bastien Heri has certainly been impressive but Michael Duffy has been in phenomenal form. On Monday night he scored his 8th goal of the season from left wing. He is also on 9 assists. If he was the club penalty taker he be the leagues top scorer. His stats are superior to even what Daryl Horgan achieved at the club
    If he replicates it in Europe, he might be worth comparing to Horgan!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    3 wins on the bounce for Pats now, 0 goals conceded since the hammering up in Dundalk. Sligo are pretty poor but could have sneaked a draw near the end.

Derry on Friday is a big game now, should be a decent crowd at it.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    I take your point about including European performances giving a more rounded player comparison, but it is hard to understand why you are suggesting that comparisons based on league performance are in some way not worthwhile. Daryl Horgan was an outstanding player for Dundalk - Michael Duffy's stats for goals and assists are significantly better at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsdad View Post
    For the first time we have clear water between the top five and the bottom five. Hard to call the relegation battle but I think Shamrock Rovers probably have enough to just about keep out of it.
    it looks like St Pats are mounting a credible European challenge as they go level on points with Derry and only 5 behind Waterford in 3rd.

As for Rovers, although they are closer to a relegation playoff spot (9 points) than they now are to the last automatic Europa League position (11 points), Bradser retains his Comical Ali type optimism:

Bradley, meanwhile, is unconcerned about being 10 points off a guaranteed spot in Europe after 17 of 36 matches, pointing to how Rovers overturned a similar deficit last year.
    He said: “Remember Derry beat us here last year with not many games left and we were so many points off them?
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...ional-call-up/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I take your point about including European performances giving a more rounded player comparison, but it is hard to understand why you are suggesting that comparisons based on league performance are in some way not worthwhile. Daryl Horgan was an outstanding player for Dundalk - Michael Duffy's stats for goals and assists are significantly better at this point.
    Simply because you're not comparing like with like. Trying to compare player stats across seasons, when the relative quality of opposition, make up of the league, and quality of their own team has such a huge impact is a bit pointless. If you look at stats alone Dave Mooney was better for us than Kevin Doyle was. The comparison doesn't hold up though.

Duffys stats speak for themselves this season, but I don't think the comparison has much merit standing alone. Horgan also did it over and extended period of time, whereas Duffy is half a season in at this level. That's not to play down what he's doing, I just don't think there's much value in comparing the players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Simply because you're not comparing like with like. Trying to compare player stats across seasons, when the relative quality of opposition, make up of the league, and quality of their own team has such a huge impact is a bit pointless. If you look at stats alone Dave Mooney was better for us than Kevin Doyle was. The comparison doesn't hold up though.

Duffys stats speak for themselves this season, but I don't think the comparison has much merit standing alone. Horgan also did it over and extended period of time, whereas Duffy is half a season in at this level. That's not to play down what he's doing, I just don't think there's much value in comparing the players.
    Your argument appears flawed or even contradictory to me.

On one hand you suggest a comparison might be worthwhile if Michael Duffy replicates his current form in Europe and then completely wipe out the validity of any comparison based on differences that would not only apply in the domestic league, but are even more likely to be present - or even more pronounced - in the European competitions:
    • Relative quality of opposition
    • Make up of the competition
    • Quality of own team

If your logic was to be followed, all statistical comparisons between players over different seasons would be pointless

Consistency over a period of time is a valid factor to consider if the measurement was about something like how much a player contributed to clubs success - the time for that may come in the future.

Michael Duffy is in his second season at Dundalk. In his first season in 2017, he scored 8 league goals while Daryl got 5 league goals in his first season with Dundalk in 2014. (BTW Michael Duffy is credited with 11 goals for Derry that season). Daryl got 9 in his second season (2015) and 10 in his third season (2016). With only 17 games gone, Michael Duffy already has 8 goals and is on track to dwarf Daryl Horgan's (no pun intended) goal scoring stats. If assists were added in to the comparison it makes Michael Duffy's statistical record even more impressive.
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 16/05/2018 at 6:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    When I said in the original post comparing to Horgan, I meant in overall quality, not in stats. I think over the period of a few years and Europe you can get a general sense of the level of quality of a player. Id imagine many fans would be able to rank in terms of overall quality the players than have gone to England, certainly from their own teams. I'm not talking about a statistical comparison, because the stats themselves are rarely useful for an overall comparison. So yes, I do think season to season stats comparisons are fairly pointless

As I mentioned, the Dave Mooney stat. In terms of overall quality he wouldn't make the top 5 for City fans to have moved on, and that has been borne out by his career. But in terms of stats alone, he'd top the pile.

I don't think the stats about Duffy are what is convincing, although they are impressive. I don't imagine there's too many would claim he's better than Horgan(when he left) right now. But, if he keeps it up over the season, and stands out in Europe, he might be thought of in the same terms.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    When I said in the original post comparing to Horgan, I meant in overall quality, not in stats. I think over the period of a few years and Europe you can get a general sense of the level of quality of a player. Id imagine many fans would be able to rank in terms of overall quality the players than have gone to England, certainly from their own teams. I'm not talking about a statistical comparison, because the stats themselves are rarely useful for an overall comparison. So yes, I do think season to season stats comparisons are fairly pointless

As I mentioned, the Dave Mooney stat. In terms of overall quality he wouldn't make the top 5 for City fans to have moved on, and that has been borne out by his career. But in terms of stats alone, he'd top the pile.

I don't think the stats about Duffy are what is convincing, although they are impressive. I don't imagine there's too many would claim he's better than Horgan(when he left) right now. But, if he keeps it up over the season, and stands out in Europe, he might be thought of in the same terms.
    You are on a different tangent altogether.

My original post that you responded to was about who is the standout player in the league currently. The statistical illustration on what Michael Duffy is producing currently in terms of goals and assists backs up his credentials, and the comparison with Daryl Horgan is simply a context or to bench-mark against one of the best players in the league in recent seasons. I am not claiming that one or the other is the better player, but where Michael Duffy is currently at.

I could not disagree with you more when you say that "the stats themselves are rarely useful for an overall comparison" - if a centre forward scored 20 goals and made 20 assists in one season and was replaced by another striker who scored 5 goals and made 5 assists for the same team, most people would validly compare the two. It may not tell the full story, but it is not credible to argue that it is a pointless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I wasn't disagreeing that Duffy was the standout player this season. I think that's a fair claim. I was questioning the comparison with Horgan, in terms of overall quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I wasn't disagreeing that Duffy was the standout player this season. I think that's a fair claim. I was questioning the comparison with Horgan, in terms of overall quality.

Fair enough, if "overall quality" was what was in your mind, even if not easy to discern from your initial response:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Fair enough, if "overall quality" was what was in your mind, even if not easy to discern from your initial response:
    Yeah, obviously I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to him replicating the 'phenomenal form', not the numbers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Kenny Shiels is great craic, although he certainly didn't like getting called out by Gerry Malone post match - who he had a spat with him a few weeks back in Oriel Park.

KS was right he didn't call Chris Shields a cheat, but he strongly implied it about him and his teammates

He was also adamant that there was a foul with Rory Patterson being blocked off in the box for Brian Gartlands goal from a corner

Kenny sees things that others just can't see (well I couldnt see it in real time last night or the videos footage today)
    https://twitter.com/SoccRepublic/sta...61870397521922

Kenny Shiels is an excellent manager, but is less than gracious in defeat. He is not a true reflection of the decency and honesty of Derry City fans
    Kenny Shiels isn't the only one to spot Dundalk's cynicism. Just because the sycophantic media don't speak about it doesn't make it not true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post

Yeah thought it looked in good nick myself lately, a huge help for Bucko’s style of play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Kenny Shiels isn't the only one to spot Dundalk's cynicism. Just because the sycophantic media don't speak about it doesn't make it not true.
    When you find yourself agreeing with Kenny Shields it's time to have yourself assessed. At least he knows he's spoofing

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast