Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irish-born players to play for other international teams?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Incidentally a shame that there was no AI team in those Finals as I'm sure we could have provided a few decent players of our own to that squad.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    Thanks guys I wonder just who will qualify for a major tournament next :O) us or them
    Your boys must have a decent chance this time after a good start in Armenia. I'd advise against merely concentrating on finishing ahead of NI. As we've seen recently, neither that nor the reverse guarantees World domination.

Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Not really sure I feel comfortable about denominational profiling of the 82 NI squad, but I am pretty sure that Tommy Cassidy comes from a Unionist back ground. Born in East Belfast and famously depicted on mural along with Best and Dougan as "local" football icons
    Indeed, although there are worse things at sea. It's comparable to profiling if and where in England or Scotland RoI internationals come from. Largely a wind-up, or at best a daydream.

If I ever knew where Tommy Cassidy was from, I've forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Nah, not good enough...
    Probably correct, although a few years earlier he might have made a slightly weaker squad (say, when you add a couple of guys from the LoI or English D3 in it).
    Last edited by Gather round; 15/09/2010 at 8:18 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    As for PMcC, of course he's good enough. I mean if McGeady is, so is he
    McGeady: extensive experience in the Champs' League and internationals, big money transfer to Russia.

McCourt: failed in English D4, now into third season as Scottish reserve player. One competitive international sub experience against San Marino.

Not really comparable, are they?

Incidentally a shame that there was no AI team in those Finals as I'm sure we could have provided a few decent players of our own to that squad.....
    There was a RoI team in the qualifying tournament with the opportunity to pick players from across Ireland and beyond. They didn't make the finals because they weren't decent enough.
    Last edited by Gather round; 15/09/2010 at 9:02 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    I dont think it's accurate to characterise McCourt as a "Fourth Division failure" or an impact player for when you are cruising to victory. Many of his goals and impact contributions have been in games where Celtic have been struggling. It's sad in a way that "the British game" has difficulty accomodating talents like McCourts, and is inevitably inclined to dismiss them as "luxury players".It is even more incredible that NI with their present embarrassment of medicrity can ignore a player who could genuinely make a difference to a game. Come on GR you dont honestly mean to tell me that players like Little, McAuley and the Coleraine goal machine (Patterson) are a class above McCourt? Niall McGInn's impact at Celtic has hardly been more significant and yet he is a squad regular.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    I dont think it's accurate to characterise McCourt as a "Fourth Division failure"
    Given that he's never established at a higher level in England (or Scotland), and moved from Rochdale back to the LoI, it looks accurate to me.

or an impact player for when you are cruising to victory. Many of his goals and impact contributions have been in games where Celtic have been struggling
    He hasn't scored "many goals" in Celtic's first team. He's only started a handful of games in more than two seasons.

It's sad in a way that "the British game" has difficulty accomodating talents like McCourts and is inevitably inclined to dismiss them as "luxury players"
    I too would prefer to see the game played with more emphasis on skill, less on energy. That said, if McCourt was good enough he'd have adapted. I'm reminded of Danny Blanchflower's quip in the 70s: "Hoddle? No, it's the bad players who are luxuries".

It is even more incredible that NI with their present embarrassment of medicrity can ignore a player who could genuinely make a difference to a game
    He's played three full internationals and hasn't stood out. While the players who might make way for him (Brunt, McCann) are established at rather higher levels of mediocrity. Put starkly, the SPL is a poor league and he isn't good enough for its top level. Nor do I see Inverness or Kilmarnock etc. rushing to sign him.

Come on GR you dont honestly mean to tell me that players like Little, McAuley and the Coleraine goal machine (Patterson) are a class above McCourt? Niall McGInn's impact at Celtic has hardly been more significant and yet he is a squad regular
    Naughty TP, with your leading rhetorical questions. Little, like Pat is a SPL reserve and very much on the fringe internationally. McGinn has impressed in his two qualifying appearances. Patterson won't feature regularly unless/ until he scores a hatful in D3 or moves up. McAuley's an odd choice given his extensive experience in English D2. Centre backs aren't generally expected to slalom past five or six men, but I wouldn't hold that against him.

As I've said above, I'd be delighted if PMc played regularly for Celtic this term and established in our squad or first team. The onus is on him before Worthinton.
    Last edited by Gather round; 15/09/2010 at 1:12 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    He's played three full internationals and hasn't stood out. While the players who might make way for him (Brunt, McCann) are established at rather higher levels of mediocrity. Put starkly, the SPL is a poor league and he isn't good enough for its top level. Nor do I see Inverness or Kilmarnock etc. rushing to sign him.
    Perhaps not, but he has turned down two moves to Premiership clubs (West Brom and Blackpool) in the last two years. I am not an NI-basher as you know, and genuinely want to see them achieving their potential. I just think that even allowing for his inconsistency McCourt is more likely to have an impact in changing a game than anyone else on your bench. So far this season his goal to minutes on the pitch ratio must be better than any other SPL player including Lafferty.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    McCourt in recent times has shown at least as much skill as McGeady, so of course it's comparable. Just he can only do it for 20-30 mins.or so. Aidan, like most other pro' footballers is just a lot fitter.

As for '82, it was a hypothetical point, FFS.
    (And the proper Ireland team were cheated in that tournament's qualifiers anyway.)
    You've lost the debate on every other point previously, so why make a tired effort to win back even an ounce of credibility now??
    Just think, an AI team could have gone even further than the North did....

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    It's comparable to profiling if and where in England or Scotland RoI internationals come from.
    Clearly Amnesia has struck you once again with regards to the geographical birthplaces/origins of many of the North's junior squads. Still at least the IFA have now turned a blind eye to past hypocrisy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Perhaps not, but he has turned down two moves to Premiership clubs (West Brom and Blackpool) in the last two years
    I saw the Blackpool story, but assumed it was a joke really. McCourt wouldn't likely contribute much in a team that's likely to be defending for 80% of most games this term.

I am not an NI-basher as you know, and genuinely want to see them achieving their potential. I just think that even allowing for his inconsistency McCourt is more likely to have an impact in changing a game than anyone else on your bench
    Ta. As far as I know I'm in a minority of NI fans on this one- most want him in the next squad, certainly for the Faeroes game. I imagine Italy's defence will be less generous

So far this season his goal to minutes on the pitch ratio must be better than any other SPL player including Lafferty
    Good, give him a run of 10-15 starts there. Over to you Neil (and Pat of course)...

McCourt in recent times has shown at least as much skill as McGeady, so of course it's comparable. Just he can only do it for 20-30 mins.or so. Aidan, like most other pro' footballers is just a lot fitter
    McGeady, although younger, has achieved much more in the game. Ditto Chris Brunt. That's why two of them are international/ CL/ Prem regulars, and one's a long-term reserve. There's much more to the game than the occasional cameo dribble.

As for '82, it was a hypothetical point, FFS
    I know. But one intended purely to wind up, no?

And the proper Ireland team
    They're no more or less "proper" than any other.

were cheated in that tournament's qualifiers anyway
    Aye, wasn't there a bent ref against or from Belgium? Sorry if I forget the details, it was nearly 30 years ago.

You've lost the debate on every other point previously, so why make a tired effort to win back even an ounce of credibility now??
    As before, I'm merely defending NI's modest record against ridicule. I didn't realise I'd lost any argument making extravagant claims?

Just think, an AI team could have gone even further than the North did....
    Aye, and if yer granny had balls etc. You've had a pool of good players from outside the country for decades, but only qualify occasionally because quite simply England/ Russia/ Netherlands/ Portugal etc. will almost always have more. With due respect to Marc Wilson, Darron Gibson etc. they're unlikely to change that.

Clearly Amnesia has struck you once again with regards to the geographical birthplaces/origins of many of the North's junior squads. Still at least the IFA have now turned a blind eye to past hypocrisy!
    How so? I haven't forgotten it, I accept it goes on everywhere. If the IFA are hypocritical, I'm not.
    Last edited by Gather round; 16/09/2010 at 8:32 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    I know. But one intended purely to wind up, no?
    Only to a paranoid simpleton!

They're no more or less "proper" than any other.
    Well they are, they represent a nation-state recognised by the UN. Even Ingerland cant say that about itself.

I didn't realise I'd lost any argument making extravagant claims?
    Suggest you read the many factual errors in yer posts passim.

Aye, and if yer granny had balls etc.
    WTF are you on about?? A re-writing of Darwinism??

How so? I haven't forgotten it, I accept it goes on everywhere. If the IFA are hypocritical, I'm not.
    Like everytime you post on the topic. And the last sentence makes no sense, even for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    I dont think it's accurate to characterise McCourt as a "Fourth Division failure" or an impact player for when you are cruising to victory. Many of his goals and impact contributions have been in games where Celtic have been struggling. It's sad in a way that "the British game" has difficulty accomodating talents like McCourts, and is inevitably inclined to dismiss them as "luxury players".It is even more incredible that NI with their present embarrassment of medicrity can ignore a player who could genuinely make a difference to a game. Come on GR you dont honestly mean to tell me that players like Little, McAuley and the Coleraine goal machine (Patterson) are a class above McCourt? Niall McGInn's impact at Celtic has hardly been more significant and yet he is a squad regular
    As I've said many times before, nothing would please me more than to see McCourt strutting his stuff in an NI shirt.

But when I look at his actual record, as opposed to his "Two Minutes of Fame" on YouTube etc, I side with Strachan, Mowbray, Lennon, McIlroy, Sanchez and Worthington, each one of whom has taken a look, even given him a run-out, then decided against.

Face facts. Paddy is in his 3rd season at Parkhead, during which time he has made just six (five?) SPL starts, none against Rangers btw. I'm not sure he has ever completed 90 minutes in any of those. As for his 6 SPL goals to date, I think I'm right in saying all bar one has been after coming on as a sub, when Celtic have either been level, or more usually ahead i.e. opposing defenders have tired. He has yet to score against Rangers, and his recent injury-time goal vs Hearts (he came on with 17 minutes to go with Celtic 2-0 up), was his first at home.

Beyond that, he usually gets a cameo in Scottish Cup games, but hardly features in the 'must-win' European games, including all four this season (vs Utrecht and Braga).

And to be quite honest, as a wonderfully skillful, but lazy-arsed player, he's not even unique for being ignored by an Irish international manager, as this guy demonstrates:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ilqmcslw4

P.S. Little and McAuley are both Right Backs (our problem position) and Patterson is an out-and-out striker, whereas McCourt is neither. As for McGinn, such has been his impact for NI that I wouldn't swap him if you offered me three Paddy McCourts, to play half an hour each!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Anyway back to the thread...I seem to remember prior to the 82 world cup, there were some newspaper articles about Sean Byrne, ex Dundalk all conquering team of the late 70's, who had moved to live in New Zealand and was hoping to be involved in their squad. In the end I dont think he made it, but I'm not sure if he was capped at any stage.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Paul McShane

... in every match I've watched anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Crap stripped to Rubbish, back on topic please.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Don't know if anyone else has come across these lads but the Japanese U-19 squad recently included a young fella called Colin Killoran (Irish father, Japanese mother). Both he and his brother Niall play for Tokyo Verdy in the second division of the J-League. The wikipedia page below has an Irish flag beside both their names. Anybody know anything about them?

http://www.jfa.or.jp/eng/topics/2010/119.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Verdy
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Dont know anything about them. Great find though

Did find some more info on them. http://www.liberosports.com/players/...?format=simple and http://www.liberosports.com/players/...?format=simple

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    I wonder if they FAI know about those two?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    I wonder if they FAI know about those two?
    Is the Japanese 2nd division where they should be looking?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Is the Japanese 2nd division where they should be looking?
    If they're playing first team football in a 2nd level league at a young age, and good enough for the Japanese underage teams......sign them up, though I think they'd prefer to play for Japan. Both look like good players.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast