Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Luca Connell (D/M Barnsley b.2001)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Luca Connell to Celtic must at this stage honestly be one of the worst transfers in the history of Irish youth football. Not in the Under 21 squad either.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Luca Connell to Celtic must at this stage honestly be one of the worst transfers in the history of Irish youth football. Not in the Under 21 squad either.
    Hes still only 19 but at this point if he doesnt get a half decent move in the summer you would have to question whether he'll even have a career. Has happened to a lot of lads

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Hes still only 19 but at this point if he doesnt get a half decent move in the summer you would have to question whether he'll even have a career. Has happened to a lot of lads
    I'm sure there's rules as to why he went to that level such as loan transfer windows or something. He could do worse than coming to LOI for a while, if he is to have a good career he would prove it at LOI level and could be back over by the time he's 21/22 . Youth is definitely on his side.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Its really hard to think of a worse one. Look at the list of clubs who were monitoring him two years ago:

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/4082998/tottenham-will-swoop-for-bolton-starlet-luca-connell-after-trotters-went-into-administration/

He hasn't played a competitive game since.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 19/03/2021 at 3:36 PM. Reason: Links to that site disabled on the Ireland subforum in support of the Justice for the 96 campaign

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    He was incredibly ill-advised in moving to a team playing in so low quality a league and one that has no proper U-23 team. The boy's wasted years of his career.

And to think, we were worried about his defecting at one stage!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I checked this with a Queen's Park supporter I deal with through work. He said that Queen's Park are going to be playing matches three times a week for the next few months to get the season finished.

On the face of it, it is quite disappointing that it has to got to this and that Connell is signing for a team playing at that level. But there are a few positives to take from it (plenty games, Hampden Park, stays in Glasgow, moves with a teammate, Canice Carroll is there) and he is still only 19. Hopefully he can make the most of this.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    If he turns in to a Super-Star everybody will be saying this was a brilliant strategy and everyone will be copying it ! !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    If he turns in to a Super-Star everybody will be saying this was a brilliant strategy and everyone will be copying it ! !
    They won't, they really won't.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    this is was what was discussed in the mods forum:

Full disclosure - I have a close friend from Liverpool, and there's at least two other members of the forum who know him.
    He was at Hillsbrough, not in the Leppings Lane end, and obviously never buys that paper. I've donated to the Justice for the 96 campaign, and a few years ago took part in the memorial walk in the Phoenix Park - https://twitter.com/tetsujin1979/sta...09219700613120
    I don't buy the paper, and don't read articles on their site. I've told people who send me links via text/email/whatsapp/etc to their site that I'm not going to open it and not to send me links to the site.
    Disabling the links is my way of supporting the movement - I'm not stopping anyone from reading the article, the link itself is still there as text. Most browsers will still allow you to select the text and open it as a link.

The other mods have supported disabling the links, as long as each change is clarified with the following "Links to that site disabled on the Ireland subforum in support of the Justice for the 96 campaign"

I should have been clearer about the reasons behind the change, my apologies

I'll add all this to the stickied post later
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 19/03/2021 at 11:38 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Just to confirm, that's been the nature of the mod conversation. Short of Dahamsta nixing it, it'll continue like that.

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    To be clear, I've never personally bought the Sun, but most newspapers and media groups are pretty unsavoury, are they not? Would a Times link be any more acceptable? They're both owned by the same company.

Just as an example, the 'left-leaning' Evening Standard, owned by the same Russian former KGB oligarch who owns the right-on, liberal Independent, had Gideon Osborne as editor for years and have sold editorial control to the evil tech giants Google and Uber for several millions.

If a talented Irish journalist who happened to work for the Irish Sun posted a particularly relevant and interesting article, why shouldn't the link be posted?
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 19/03/2021 at 4:58 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    To be clear, I've never personally bought the Sun, but most newspapers and media groups are pretty unsavoury, are they not? Would a Times link be any more acceptable? They're both owned by the same company.

Just as an example, the 'left-leaning' Evening Standard, owned by the same Russian former KGB oligarch who owns the right-on, liberal Independent had Gideon Osborne as editor for years and have sold editorial control to the evil tech giants Google and Uber for several millions.

If a talented Irish journalist who happened to work for the Irish Sun posted a particularly relevant and interesting article, why shouldn't the link be posted?
    Standards ~ Its nice to have Standards even if they can be a bit tricky, to get correct all of the time ! !

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post

Just as an example, the 'left-leaning' Evening Standard, owned by the same Russian former KGB oligarch who owns the right-on, liberal Independent, had Gideon Osborne as editor for years and have sold editorial control to the evil tech giants Google and Uber for several millions.

I've never removed a link, and I wouldn't stop anyone from posting a link, I just deactivated it. If you want to read the story, select the text, right click and open.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Luca's reignited career deserves better.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Luca's reignited career deserves better.
    The fourth tier in Scotland is hardly a reignition. Maybe a smouldering ruin that could yet be coaxed into reignition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Oh I know...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    An assist and man of the match on his debut for what it's worth (not much given the level but at least he'll play games).
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I've never removed a link, and I wouldn't stop anyone from posting a link, I just deactivated it. If you want to read the story, select the text, right click and open.
    I fully support this.

If that paper had written the same about Irish fans, for example, we'd probably have a pretty unanimous view on this matter.

Drop your principles and standards and we'll end up with a weekly guest column from Dudu Awat, eventually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    An assist and man of the match on his debut for what it's worth (not much given the level but at least he'll play games).
    I hear you about the level but it's still a significant sign I think. We've had a few guys dropping way below the level we could reasonably have expected and they've done little or nothing, so to stand out in the way one would hope is a result, especially with his lack of game time the past year or so. Good for him.

27. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I tend to agree - from what I've seen of him he could tear it up at that level and that can only be a good thing.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast