Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Saipan - 20 Years On

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    I took it as him saying it's his country and he would play for anyone managing it regardless of whether he respects them or not. As in "my country" is so important to me I'd play if a turkey was in charge. Or "sure of course I love you, you're the mother of MY children.....". I don't think he was implying sole ownership or that it wasn't Mick's country.

But maybe I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I always picked 16 as my squad number. Mind you i was often given it by default as I sat on the bench most weeks.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I took it as him saying it's his country and he would play for anyone managing it regardless of whether he respects them or not. As in "my country" is so important to me I'd play if a turkey was in charge. Or "sure of course I love you, you're the mother of MY children.....". I don't think he was implying sole ownership or that it wasn't Mick's country.

But maybe I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I always picked 16 as my squad number. Mind you i was often given it by default as I sat on the bench most weeks.
    "Somehow ended up managing my country "

He is clearly stating that Mick is from a different country.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Your opinion has failed to convince me. Not that I'd care much if he'd called him anything under the sun to be honest. Heat of the moment stuff that happens between people. McCarthy poked the bear and the bear growled back.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Your opinion has failed to convince me. Not that I'd care much if he'd called him anything under the sun to be honest. Heat of the moment stuff that happens between people. McCarthy poked the bear and the bear growled back.
    It’s less easy to forgive heat of the moment comments with respect to someone who is continually generating the heat. Keane’s (alleged) comments were clearly a racial insult implying McCarthy was less than Irish, and by extension at least 7 other members of the squad he’s supposed to be leading. There’s no excuse or justification for it.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Considering most accounts have Breen, Connolly, Kinsella and/or Holland as the ones who either came to Roys room to support him or voted to let him back I think the team had a more forgiving take than you do. But that's football. I'd hate him and blame him for everything if I supported Liverpool as well most likely.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Considering most accounts have Breen, Connolly, Kinsella and/or Holland as the ones who either came to Roys room to support him or voted to let him back I think the team had a more forgiving take than you do. But that's football. I'd hate him and blame him for everything if I supported Liverpool as well most likely.
    I’m sure they all saw the benefit of having their best player with them. The fact they were willing to forgive for personal or pragmatic reasons doesn’t excuse his comments and abuse of the manager.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I think (as i'm sure is no surprise at this point ) that you are being very generous again to the Keane side of the story. McCarthy was not someone with any sort of reputation for going around poking bears and was, by most every other account, a fine man manager... Keane on the other hand has a lot of previous for going way over the top on and off the pitch (Haaland, Southgate, Shearer, Prawn Sandwiches... all just for starters). I think you have to look at the evidence out there regarding their respective personalities and reputations and factor that into how you look at the incident and where to apportion blame.

And i say that all, again, as someone who loved the bite that Keane brought to his teams and the mans drive to win.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    We just covered McCarthys treatment of Irwin as well. Odd that he'd have conflicts with two lads he also played with. You'd think he would have gotten on best with them but he was quite confrontational.

I apportion blame based on role. Mick's job was to harness Roy and manage situations that arose. Roy's job was to speak up as captain when things weren't right. The manner in which he did so was poor but even the only decent Bohs fan in the world won't convince me the blame lies more with him than with Mick. We haven't even mentioned the accusations that Keane faked injuries etc. I'm happy to debate all the accusations against Roy but Mick's own actions are getting an easy ride here. Calling up Healy when he should have been up with Roy making things right. He knew what he was doing with that and knew what he was doing when he tried to dress Keane down in front of the team. There was only going to be one outcome from there.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    He knew what he was doing with that and knew what he was doing when he tried to dress Keane down in front of the team. There was only going to be one outcome from there.
    Are you saying you think McCarthy deliberately wound Keane up to give himself an excuse to send him home?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I’m sure they all saw the benefit of having their best player with them. The fact they were willing to forgive for personal or pragmatic reasons doesn’t excuse his comments and abuse of the manager.
    Look that's your take and where you want to focus but I don't agree with that for several reasons. You're assuming to know why those players acted that way. All we know is that they did so and it makes the idea that there was some deep rooted racism on Roys part that erupted in the meeting seem a bit weak. You're also relying not only only alleged comments but on your interpretation of those alleged comments. These are comments which also occurred after the horse had left the barn. Maybe they were even worse than you think. I wouldn't be at all shocked if Keane said something awful. He was put in a corner and he has obvious anger issues. Issues that a good manager would have worked around because they were a part of the man who was, at the time, our best player by a country mile and had carried us to a World Cup almost alone at times.

The issue was done when McCarthy called the team meeting and confronted Roy with accusations and attempts to stir ****e between him and the team when everyone had already moved on by most accounts. Alan Kelly wearing a balaclava to training the next day suggests the team was ready to laugh about it and get on with the football.

But again, I'm not absolving Keane of blame entirely. I'm saying it was really badly managed by McCarthy. You don't wave a newspaper article in front of someone like Keane as if he's on trial. You go to him in private and have whatever words you want. As I said in the other post, McCarthy knew what he was doing....or if he didn't he's even more clueless than he looked when we got to the finals.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Are you saying you think McCarthy deliberately wound Keane up to give himself an excuse to send him home?
    No, it could have just been incompetence.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Not given you twice said "He knew what he was doing" about the incident surely?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Yeah I lean that way but I'm willing to concede that it may just have been incompetence. I'm probably arguing too far in one direction to be fair stu.

I'd say it was somewhere in the middle. He knew what he was doing but he was doing it in a rage and not thinking clearly. If they'd all taken a day to discuss it calmly we'd probably have a WC in the cabinet.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Look that's your take and where you want to focus but I don't agree with that for several reasons. You're assuming to know why those players acted that way. All we know is that they did so and it makes the idea that there was some deep rooted racism on Roys part that erupted in the meeting seem a bit weak. You're also relying not only only alleged comments but on your interpretation of those alleged comments. These are comments which also occurred after the horse had left the barn. Maybe they were even worse than you think. I wouldn't be at all shocked if Keane said something awful. He was put in a corner and he has obvious anger issues. Issues that a good manager would have worked around because they were a part of the man who was, at the time, our best player by a country mile and had carried us to a World Cup almost alone at times.

The issue was done when McCarthy called the team meeting and confronted Roy with accusations and attempts to stir ****e between him and the team when everyone had already moved on by most accounts. Alan Kelly wearing a balaclava to training the next day suggests the team was ready to laugh about it and get on with the football.

But again, I'm not absolving Keane of blame entirely. I'm saying it was really badly managed by McCarthy. You don't wave a newspaper article in front of someone like Keane as if he's on trial. You go to him in private and have whatever words you want. As I said in the other post, McCarthy knew what he was doing....or if he didn't he's even more clueless than he looked when we got to the finals.
    Did anyone say “deep seated racism”? No it was just crass and casual but no less unacceptable for that. I think it’s a myth to say he carried the team to the finals on his own. That’s certainly not my recollection of the Holland away game for a start. It’s equally revisionist to castigate McCarthy for being “clueless” at the finals. We lost on penalties to a decent Spanish team after pretty commendable results against Germany and Cameroon. Are you suggesting that some unnamed unspecified not clueless manager would have got us to the final, or would Keane have “single handedly” carried the team to glory?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    I'm probably arguing too far in one direction to be fair stu.
    I think you might be!

And I'm not convinced at all by your defence of Keane's "my country" comment. I'd say Keane knew full well what he was saying when he said that.

There's fault everywhere but throughout his career this sort of stuff has followed Keane far more often than McCarthy. I'd tend towards there being no smoke without fire tbh

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Did anyone say “deep seated racism”? No it was just crass and casual but no less unacceptable for that. I think it’s a myth to say he carried the team to the finals on his own. That’s certainly not my recollection of the Holland away game for a start. It’s equally revisionist to castigate McCarthy for being “clueless” at the finals. We lost on penalties to a decent Spanish team after pretty commendable results against Germany and Cameroon. Are you suggesting that some unnamed unspecified not clueless manager would have got us to the final, or would Keane have “single handedly” carried the team to glory?
    Did I say carried us on his own? "Almost alone at times". That allows for a bit of help. He needed McCateer to finish the opportunity after he pulled Van Bommel and Staam out of position to create the space for the move that made the goal against Holland at home for example. Are you saying he wasn't our best player through qualifying? That might be worth a new thread!

McCarthy's performance at the finals was discussed above. I don't care either way really. It doesn't change the order of events in Saipan.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think you might be!

And I'm not convinced at all by your defence of Keane's "my country" comment. I'd say Keane knew full well what he was saying when he said that.

There's fault everywhere but throughout his career this sort of stuff has followed Keane far more often than McCarthy. I'd tend towards there being no smoke without fire tbh
    Ah well I'm on my own here stu, fighting the good fight on behalf of a man I've never met who I actually think could have done a whole lot better at the time. But someone has to take up this half of the debate even if foot.ie seems to be more in the McCarthy camp.

And of course there's smoke around Keane. He's a fiery man. He's also 10x more interesting to the public than Mick so every little incident is covered. Outside of the Haaland one I don't really think he had anything truly outrageous. A few shouting matches and a punch thrown at Shearer? Did he even assault someone in a pub? That's table stakes for EPL captains I'd have thought.

Nice win tonight by the way.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Did I say carried us on his own? "Almost alone at times". That allows for a bit of help. He needed McCateer to finish the opportunity after he pulled Van Bommel and Staam out of position to create the space for the move that made the goal against Holland at home for example. Are you saying he wasn't our best player through qualifying? That might be worth a new thread!

McCarthy's performance at the finals was discussed above. I don't care either way really. It doesn't change the order of events in Saipan.
    If you are seriously suggesting that Keane’s contribution to that goal was greater than McAteer’s or Finnan’s you are losing the plot. He was our best player, nobody questions that, but I bet he was sick that they did as well as they did without him. We were lucky to hold out against the Dutch at Landsdowne Rd, but were the better side against a German team at the finals. It could be argued that we played with more fluidity without Keane, but we’ll never know what impact he would have had at the World Cup because he went home in a sulk and let his team and his country down.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    So he was our best player? Glad we agree on something.

The rest of your post is your opinion and highlights your distaste for the man. You're welcome to both but they won't convince me of much.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    So he was our best player? Glad we agree on something.
    The rest of your post is your opinion and highlights your distaste for the man. You're welcome to both but they won't convince me of much.
    Opinions are what this forum is about, and most of them are other peoples. It’s kind of the point of the exercise. Anyway happy to agree to differ on this. Just to be provocative, notwithstanding Keane’s status as the best Irish player of his era, I still think he’s overrated. If I had to pick a midfield 3 from my many years as an Ireland supporter it would be Giles, Brady and Ronnie Whelan, but that’s only an opinion.

25. Thanks From:

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast