Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: LoI 20th - 23rd Sept.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Fingers crossed. It's prabably impossible to sign a whole new starting 11 that would be challenging towards the top, so retaining some of the current squad might have to happen.

The fewer the better hopefully.
    It's been done before, most notably by Stephen Kenny in 2013 when he re-signed about 4 players in the squad from the previous season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    It's been done before, most notably by Stephen Kenny in 2013 when he re-signed about 4 players in the squad from the previous season
    True.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    The main aspect of Kenny taking the Dundalk job back then was that he had a blank slate and could do as he pleased really with the playing budget. Apart from the players he kept and lads brought in he immediately had a backroom staff appointed with initial emphasis on S + C, and was so radical in his thinking that we had a dedicated goalkeeping coach for the first time in years!! He seemed completely devoid of self confidence and I think that came across at meetings with fans, he was hard to hear even with a mic, and on TV he looked very nervous. He always seemed considered in his answering of questions anyway but it took time to see the self belief seep back. I do think he must have spent time he was on gardening leave from Rovers planning a start from scratch with little to no budget simply as he put together a bunch of underated lads, in in some cases real journeymen and bar one key loss away to Pats could have won the title in Yr1. The players had to be willing to buy in to what he wanted to do so he was careful of the character of who he signed, probably based on past experience. S+C and diet was a big part of the initial success and most clubs wiill have caught up on that, but it was quite remarkable how some players stock soared after 2013 and how quickly thing were turned around with early years of the decade looking like a slow death for the club to 5 titles in 6 years ++. If it was done at the basket case that was Dundalk it can definitely be turned around at Cork with the right personnel. It could be tougher to break in to a top 2 so quickly but Europe is a realistic target and with the crowds back and potential European money again things can snowball. There is more to work with at Cork that there was at Dundalk!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    The main aspect of Kenny taking the Dundalk job back then was that he had a blank slate and could do as he pleased really with the playing budget. Apart from the players he kept and lads brought in he immediately had a backroom staff appointed with initial emphasis on S + C, and was so radical in his thinking that we had a dedicated goalkeeping coach for the first time in years!! He seemed completely devoid of self confidence and I think that came across at meetings with fans, he was hard to hear even with a mic, and on TV he looked very nervous. He always seemed considered in his answering of questions anyway but it took time to see the self belief seep back. I do think he must have spent time he was on gardening leave from Rovers planning a start from scratch with little to no budget simply as he put together a bunch of underated lads, in in some cases real journeymen and bar one key loss away to Pats could have won the title in Yr1. The players had to be willing to buy in to what he wanted to do so he was careful of the character of who he signed, probably based on past experience. S+C and diet was a big part of the initial success and most clubs wiill have caught up on that, but it was quite remarkable how some players stock soared after 2013 and how quickly thing were turned around with early years of the decade looking like a slow death for the club to 5 titles in 6 years ++. If it was done at the basket case that was Dundalk it can definitely be turned around at Cork with the right personnel. It could be tougher to break in to a top 2 so quickly but Europe is a realistic target and with the crowds back and potential European money again things can snowball. There is more to work with at Cork that there was at Dundalk!!
    I think Kenny’s great strength is in team building, actually starting from scratch. He has a somewhat unusual personality and doesn’t get on with everybody (players included) so likes to built a team around him that he can trust and communicate with.
    There is no doubt some of the senior players at shams undermined him and it really did come down to getting rid or him or a cadre of senior players.
    I expect Fenn will have to clear out at Cork and that he may welcome that. Stability and maybe a tilt at top 4 a realistic target for CCFC next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Rovers fans point out dubious selection in their eyes prior to Kenny's sacking, the Dublin Derby broke the boards resolve to stick. The irony is that subsequent managers got more leeway I feel. But you are spot on, SK was very selective in who he signed and it wasnt purely based on individual ability but building a team and with players that there was mutual trust. O'Donnell is probably the best example of a senior player that he got on board early so there must have been a rapport when at Rovers (unless i'm getting timing off?). Gannon was a kid really when at Rovers but it often mentioned as a player he didnt play when both at Tallaght. But getting the likes of Boyle, Garts, Massey in - real stalwarts among others before the playing budget gave more wriggle room, seems incredibly astute in how they formed a unit then and still are 5 or 6 years on.

I obviously dont like the way that Fenn manipulated Dundalk in the past but I do think he has the potential to get Cork going again. But you would think that a player like Sheppard, as an example, would be busting himself for a new manager and only 28. There are others like McCormack that need lifting in confdence as he is effective at what he does and club captain for a reason. It will be interesting times on Leeside between now and February for sure!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

I obviously dont like the way that Fenn manipulated Dundalk in the past but I do think he has the potential to get Cork going again.
    It's a significant job of work to turn Cork around from the current plight. Having few players in contract is a advantage in that he can let the deadwood drift and sign players to suit his game plan.

But I don't see any evidence so far that Fenn has the potential to get Cork challenging again in the short to medium term

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    It's a significant job of work to turn Cork around from the current plight. Having few players in contract is a advantage in that he can let the deadwood drift and sign players to suit his game plan.

But I don't see any evidence so far that Fenn has the potential to get Cork challenging again in the short to medium term
    Potential big support and a huge catchment area along with fairly steady income give Cork a few advantages over other clubs. To be honest I think top 4/5 is a realistic target for next season or two.Huge gulf to top 2 and unless someone throws kitchen sinks left, right, and centre it is going to be difficult to unseat up the top 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    True! I was thinking that he will have resources at Cork that other clubs would not and as such should close the gap to the European berths from where they are currently. Whether he has the ability to get Cork back above Derry/Pats/Bohs and an improving Sligo never mind challanging remains to be seen. While there is little to back this up but I do think he has potential to be a good manager - maybe due to the ruthless streak he has shown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Potential big support and a huge catchment area along with fairly steady income give Cork a few advantages over other clubs. To be honest I think top 4/5 is a realistic target for next season or two.Huge gulf to top 2 and unless someone throws kitchen sinks left, right, and centre it is going to be difficult to unseat up the top 2.
    True! I was thinking that he will have resources at Cork that other clubs would not and as such should close the gap to the European berths from where they are currently. Whether he has the ability to get Cork back above Derry/Pats/Bohs and an improving Sligo never mind challanging remains to be seen. While there is little to back this up but I do think he has potential to be a good manager - maybe due to the ruthless streak he has shown.
    The informed Cork City posters here will probable be much better able to comment, but I suspect achieving a European place through a top 4 finish next season is well beyond reasonable expectations.

From my understanding Cork City already made financial cut backs in mid season, because of dwindling crowds that followed poor performances and results. While the potential is clearly there to attract attendances that in turn fuels an improved budget, it would be very difficult for the Cork board to sanction a generous budget now without the confidence of knowing what revenue will come in from 2020 attendances.

It is also difficult for Cork to attract quality players from other parts of the country without offering generous terms and at least a prospect of success. Promoting talented young players from U-19's may be attractive from a longer term perspective but less likely to have short-term impact

Despite the challengers an exceptional manager can work this happen. There is no evidence so far that Neale Fenn is that man.
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 03/10/2019 at 2:26 PM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    The informed Cork City posters here will probable be much better able to comment, but I suspect achieving a European place through a top 4 finish next season is well beyond reasonable expectations.

From my understanding Cork City already made financial cut backs in mid season, because of dwindling crowds that followed poor performances and results. While the potential is clearly there to attract attendances that in turn fuels an improved budget, it would be very difficult for the Cork board to sanction a generous budget now without the confidence of knowing what revenue will come in from 2020 attendances.

It is also difficult for Cork to attract quality players from other parts of the country without offering generous terms and at least a prospect of success. Promoting talented young players from U-19's may be attractive from a longer term perspective but less likely to have short-term impact

Despite the challengers an exceptional manager can work this happen. There is no evidence so far that Neale Fenn is that man.
    Its bound to be relative though. Even with a cutback in the playing budget it could still be higher than Derry and Sligo and definitely Bohs. The obvious and most accurate answer is though that they have the 4th highest budget before and after the cut!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Its bound to be relative though. Even with a cutback in the playing budget it could still be higher than Derry and Sligo and definitely Bohs. The obvious and most accurate answer is though that they have the 4th highest budget before and after the cut!
    From what I'm hearing the financial picture at Cork City has changed significantly. Some fans have expressed serious concerns about the overspending and the level of debt. The board has had unexpected resignations. The disastrous current season will not stimulate season ticket or FORAS renewals.

Its a bleak picture and Neale Fenn may be able to work miracles. But there is no evidence to support that hope.

At least 3 and maybe all of Derry. St Pats, Sligo and Bohs should be ahead of Cork next season. Relegation battles are more likely than euro challenges

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    I havent heard too much from or about Cork recently. The regulars here have been quiet and finances havent been discussed, well not recently. I wasnt aware of the resignations but i'm not at all surprised if there was a serious overspend which goes against FORAS core principle and the pride in the model that saved the club. It was said here that the membership voted to keep a larger reserve but the board seemed to ignore those wishes and the playing budget was increased for Caulfield. His recruitment was questionable and with things spiraling down - crowds, no European football next season, i'm sure it is a worry especially if it is true that backroom team were kept on after Caulfield was pushed as the money wasnt there to pay off their contracts? But I'm sure Fenn was no cheap as chips appointment - certainly doesnt fit with the persona either way.
    There hasnt been any chatter about going back part-time which is one of the first bigs signs that finances are a very big problem. I tend to agree that Fenn may have to think longer term and go with more youth in the squad but there are also a few big earners that have time to run on contracts, Sheppard, McCormack, Buckley, Stokes, and the lads on loan will return, there was others interested in O'Connor so that will have bumped his wage? Unless players will be willing to tear up contracts or other clubs raid (Sligo might get a few signings back) that cost will have to be managed. While gates were down they were still averaging over the 2k mark.

In the way that Fenn cant be assessed yet on potential success, he equally cant be be any more thought of as a relegation battling manager either. As I have said I feel he could just turn fortunes around but to what extent who knows! I do think they will be a better organised side come next season if lacking some quality throughout the side.
    If Shels splash the cash again then they are a risk to Cork but the sides in the play-offs and Waterford I dont think will, though Harps know how to fight to stay up and its that lack of fight and motivation among the Cork players that is most surprising.
    New manager or not there is something amiss with the senior players - we are hardly going to hear that there were issues with wages so they werent busting a gut for the new man - it would a very rare thing in LoI for something like that to be kept out of the public domain, and I'm not suggesting it could actually be the case its just baffling how some of the players have turned from playing with the passion youd expect to such malaise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Among the few positives for Neale Fenn and Cork City is that unless low key deals have been agreed but not announced, none of the above mentioned (Sheppard, McCormack, Buckley) are under contract for next season and the "lads on loan" including Graham Cummins and Aaron Barry are also out of contract.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Among the few positives for Neale Fenn and Cork City is that unless low key deals have been agreed but not announced, none of the above mentioned (Sheppard, McCormack, Buckley) are under contract for next season and the "lads on loan" including Graham Cummins and Aaron Barry are also out of contract.
    Shows how much attention Ive been paying to Cork this season!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    The board has had unexpected resignations.
    You're some stirrer. ONE board member stepped down due to his own family and business commitments.

The financial picture seems to be challenging alright with wasted 2017/2018 money on crap players, no European money, poor attendances this year etc. There are rumours of the club being in the red, but I'd be surprised if it was an insurmountable amount.

Off the pitch, merchandise and fundraising have been excellent so it's not all gloom.

3 players under contact apparently so players on big wages will be off the payroll. Clean slate, Fenn has a lot if signings to make albeit with a reduced budget. It will be challenging but there are some decent yourh players there too so let's give him a chance.

We certainly won't be challenging for a title next year, but the gap from 8th to 4th isn't a massive leap so who knows, a European place could be achievable. Let's wait and see.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Another cracking refereeing decision in Stradbrook last night. Tweet contains strong language:

https://twitter.com/JayDonnelly_93/s...499853313?s=19
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    You're some stirrer. ONE board member stepped down due to his own family and business commitments.

The financial picture seems to be challenging alright with wasted 2017/2018 money on crap players, no European money, poor attendances this year etc. There are rumours of the club being in the red, but I'd be surprised if it was an insurmountable amount.

Off the pitch, merchandise and fundraising have been excellent so it's not all gloom.

3 players under contact apparently so players on big wages will be off the payroll. Clean slate, Fenn has a lot if signings to make albeit with a reduced budget. It will be challenging but there are some decent yourh players there too so let's give him a chance.

We certainly won't be challenging for a title next year, but the gap from 8th to 4th isn't a massive leap so who knows, a European place could be achievable. Let's wait and see.
    Apologies if I got it wrong - I understood that both Damien Sreenan and Mike Derham had resigned from the board this season with both citing the usual "personal reasons"

I fully realise that this could be completely genuine and coincidental and that any current speculation linking this to the delays in circulating the financial accounts are probably wide of the mark.
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 05/10/2019 at 9:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I'd say it is great being on the BOM of a fan owned club when your side is riding high, it reflects well on the individual and his business. However, I also imagine it is sh!t when your side is tanking.

The fan owned model is very admirable but it very attritional on fans who step up to the plate to run the club. It is very effective at creating ex-fans.

The most important thing Cork can do for their fans is to publish their accounts and reveal the true financial position of the club. At least then, their fans will know what they have to work with going forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Apologies if I got it wrong - I understood that both Damien Sreenan and Mike Derham had resigned from the board this season with both citing the usual "personal reasons"

I fully realise that this could be completely genuine and coincidental and that any current speculation linking this to the delays in circulating the financial accounts are probably wide of the mark.
    Mike Derham was one of 2 board members that had been on the 2018 board (the other was Declan Carey) that set this seasons budget. 5 new board members were newly elected at the end of 2018 and Mike resigned shortly after the chairman was elected and a new member was co-opted in his place. This all happened before the season started. In other breaking news, the Titanic sank.

Damien was one of the 5 newly elected members and he resigned in the last few days for personal reasons. He did great work in his 9 months involved.

To put the 2 resignations together and imply resignations happening all at once is misleading, ill-informed and given your posting record, is sh!t stirring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Mike Derham was one of 2 board members that had been on the 2018 board (the other was Declan Carey) that set this seasons budget. 5 new board members were newly elected at the end of 2018 and Mike resigned shortly after the chairman was elected and a new member was co-opted in his place. This all happened before the season started. In other breaking news, the Titanic sank.

Damien was one of the 5 newly elected members and he resigned in the last few days for personal reasons. He did great work in his 9 months involved.

To put the 2 resignations together and imply resignations happening all at once is misleading, ill-informed and given your posting record, is sh!t stirring.
    I'm curious why you are so exercised by this issue, especially when you seem to be confirming that what I said previously was correct

The board has had unexpected resignations.
    From what I can see both of these individuals were confirmed on the seven person board in January 2019 and have since resigned. Is this incorrect?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast