Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Walters

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I wonder what did Tardelli do, that the reporter interpreted as a hint in the right direction of Walters?
    He winked and turned his head a few times.

Connor Sammon is not going to be called up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I wonder what did Tardelli do, that the reporter interpreted as a hint in the right direction of Walters?
    From the Examiner: Marco Tardelli added that he'd been impressed by Jonathan Walter's match-winning performance for Stoke against Blackburn on saturday and that the in-form striker would likely feature in the squad for Ireland's friendly game against Norway next month."

No direct quote from Tardelli but he must have said something favorable.

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Examiner must have made it up. Trap and Tardelli don't even know he's Irish.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Just like they didn't know Paul Green was Irish?

Come on! You're a good poster. Thought you'd be smarter than that.

7. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think you may have fallen into the trap.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I think Stutts was being a tad sarcastic to be fair. It's a dig at all the over-the-top criticism on here of Trap's scouting.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    My wish list for the Norway game :O)

Walters
    Wilson
    Mc Carthy
    Boyce
    Maguire
    Clark
    Ephraim
    Meyler
    Coleman
    Tracey
    :O)
    Dont think it would be wise to bring so many young lads all in at once. Always good to have the experienced lads around, even for preparation for friendly games.

I think McCarthy, Wilson, Coleman, Walters and Tracey all should be in, the rest I think are a bit off the mark just yet. Have we another friendly in February (oh no wait just realised the nations cup is on, better than any friendly). May be a decent way to blood in the younger lads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Hook, line and sinker.

I'm normally much sharper than that. Haven't been on this forum in a while...that is my only "excuse"

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Defo confirmed now

The 71-year-old confirmed he is looking at bringing in Stoke striker Jonathan Walters for next month's friendly against Norway in Dublin.
    "They (Russia) had three, four, five strikers," continued Trapattoni. "We have Keane and Doyle. We look every Sunday for another striker. Maybe in November we will bring in Walters from Stoke."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Don't see the point of bringing Walters in. He's just another donkey journeyman that doesn't have the guile to play international football. Don't we have enough of them already?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    We have enough journeyman fans who dismiss players without giving them a chance to prove themselves.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    We have enough journeyman fans who dismiss players without giving them a chance to prove themselves.
    Wilson, Foley, Stokes, McCarthy, Garvan, Ward, Coleman etc etc .... there's a long list of young, up and coming players that are coming through only to be ignored by donkey journeymen, short term fixes like Green and Walters. Calling up players like Walters isn't seeking to evolve our play.

Btw I see in another thread that you're telling others to stay away from games because their opinion, which was totally balanced, doesn't match yours.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Wilson, Foley, Stokes, McCarthy, Garvan, Ward, Coleman etc etc .... there's a long list of young, up and coming players that are coming through only to be ignored by donkey journeymen, short term fixes like Green and Walters. Calling up players like Walters isn't seeking to evolve our play.

Btw I see in another thread that you're telling others to stay away from games because their opinion, which was totally balanced, doesn't match yours.

With the exception of Garvan all the above have at some time figured in the full squad, so have not exactly been ignored. Not exactly how many Championship games you are able to take in from Gothenberg, but I have seen Walters live on a number of occasions, and more recently seen him playing for Stoke on TV. He is no more of a journey man than STokes and made a bigger impact in the Championship and Premiership than the latter managed. Who exactly are you suggesting that we pick instead, Folan, Noel Hunt, Sheridan or do we just dispense with striker cover altogether and play like Scotland? I agree that nearky all the players you mentioned together with Andy Reid should be in the squad, and I also agree that after the other night we need to adapt the way we play to be more flexible and creative, but Walters is doing well in a top ten Premiership side, and has two or three seasons of consistent Championship form behind him. He is at least as worthu of a chance as anyone on your wish list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    With the exception of Garvan all the above have at some time figured in the full squad, so have not exactly been ignored.
    Garvan was involved in Trappatoni's first training camp. None of the players I've mentioned have been given anywhere near enough time on the pitch to prove themselves. By not getting the chance to prove themselves, they are being ignored.

Not exactly how many Championship games you are able to take in from Gothenberg, but I have seen Walters live on a number of occasions, and more recently seen him playing for Stoke on TV.
    Good to know.

He is no more of a journey man than STokes and made a bigger impact in the Championship and Premiership than the latter managed.
    Stokes is 22. What exactly was Walters doing at 22?

Which player has the highest goals per game ratio? How many times how Stokes gotten a run out under Trapattoni (before you write him off)?

Who exactly are you suggesting that we pick instead, Folan, Noel Hunt, Sheridan or do we just dispense with striker cover altogether and play like Scotland?
    ??? There's striking cover there, that's the point. Stokes, Long, Keogh, Sheridan - all young lads that need game time to develop.

I agree that nearky all the players you mentioned together with Andy Reid should be in the squad, and I also agree that after the other night we need to adapt the way we play to be more flexible and creative, but Walters is doing well in a top ten Premiership side, and has two or three seasons of consistent Championship form behind him. He is at least as worthu of a chance as anyone on your wish list.
    I disagree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Those are all good players. Stokes is the only one who might be able to say he's been overlooked in favour of Walters, who scored a very classy goal in the Premier League last week despite being a quadruped with hooves for feet.

Yes, I ordered him to stay away from games because, oddly enough, I have that power over other individuals.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I'd definitely like to see Walters called up to the squad for Norway, but I have been very impressed with Stokes, albeit he is playing at a lower level but has demonstrated good striker awareness, a tireless willingness to close down and skill levels to collect the ball out wide.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Seeing as Trap has explicitly said he will have a look at it in November. Why not call him up now to replace Doyle? Will be a good experience for him and also gives Trap a chance to have a quick look at it.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Garvan was involved in Trappatoni's first training camp. None of the players I've mentioned have been given anywhere near enough time on the pitch to prove themselves. By not getting the chance to prove themselves, they are being ignored.
    He was in the B game VS Forest as well, came on as a late sub. Don't remember him doing much of note. Also, playing in a terrible Crystal Palace team in the lower regions of the Championship
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    What exactly was Walters doing at 22?
    I dunno. You shouldn't be held to ransom over what you were at, at 22 in any career. If he got his act together a couple of years ago and committed himself maybe it's been reflected in an upward trend in his club moves since.. Maybe international football is the next stage of that trend. I say that without knowing what he has to offer but I wouldn't write him off as an asset based on an assumption. I'd be the first to stick the boot into Trapp if he didn't have a look at him..
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Examiner must have made it up. Trap and Tardelli don't even know he's Irish.
    Don't start me.. I heard the interview where he didn't know Delap was Irish so it's entirely plausible!!!... It appears Tardelli is doing the rounds lately though.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast