Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 UEFA Under-21 Championship

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I think so too. For a lad who has played very little football since his acl he looks really athletic. Good size as well, lovely touch and is always looking for the risky open them up ball. Seems comfortable getting into forward areas and taking tge ball on the half turn
    Yeah and I like how he's comfortable pulling wide or coming through the middle. Can cross and play a through ball. Lovely variety. Tailor made for that position.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Last second goal and winner for Ireland. Ollie O'Neill with a lovely goal. One on one with a defender. Had to shift in, shift out again and shift back in to bury it in the bottom corner. 18 years of age. He absolutely loved it.

Ireland seemed to play a counter attacking game in second half. Sweden had very few changes even though they seemed to have a lot of the territory. Ireland had chances for Ferry and Ferguson and an absolute sitter for Wright that he really did badly with- refused to put anything behind it to score from an open goal and an easy save for the keeper.

O'Neill the hero. And he looked good when he came on. Spun his man down the beautifully to set up a chance for Ferguson earlier. Then did the business with that goal. Good man.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    If there's ever a time to score.. thats it 😅😅

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Much better second half. All the subs had an impact. There was a lot more urgency second half and deserved the result. Sweden looked happy to take a point all game and it came back to bite them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Last second goal and winner for Ireland. Ollie O'Neill with a lovely goal. One on one with a defender. Had to shift in, shift out again and shift back in to bury it in the bottom corner. 18 years of age. He absolutely loved it.

Ireland seemed to play a counter attacking game in second half. Sweden had very few changes even though they seemed to have a lot of the territory. Ireland had chances for Ferry and Ferguson and an absolute sitter for Wright that he really did badly with- refused to put anything behind it to score from an open goal and an easy save for the keeper.

O'Neill the hero. And he looked good when he came on. Spun his man down the beautifully to set up a chance for Ferguson earlier. Then did the business with that goal. Good man.
    Fair play to o neill. He came in at 16s with Barry and riley who subsequently moved on from us. He was the least rated of the 3 but I really liked him when I saw him in the victory shield at 16s.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Fair play to o neill. He came in at 16s with Barry and riley who subsequently moved on from us. He was the least rated of the 3 but I really liked him when I saw him in the victory shield at 16s.
    Both grandparents from Waterford and mother from Galway per a poster on YBIG. His post match interview was class too: https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status...680176133?s=20

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Maybe we should give Crawford a bit of credit too? his substitutions changed the game for Ireland.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    thought we played the game pretty much spot on. kept them at bay in the first half but still created a couple of half chances.
    second half we pushed on and should've already been one up by the time we scored.

two sloppy passes aside i thought o'connor was back to his best.

overall it was quite impressive

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    thought we played the game pretty much spot on. kept them at bay in the first half but still created a couple of half chances.
    second half we pushed on and should've already been one up by the time we scored.

two sloppy passes aside i thought o'connor was back to his best.

overall it was quite impressive
    I thought O'Connor was much better than Bagan on the other side. I thought Bagan was very quick to turn back inside and pass behind to a centre half. I thought O'Connor was much keener to be progressive.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    His post match interview was class too: https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status...680176133?s=20
    Wasn't it brilliant?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Maybe we should give Crawford a bit of credit too? his substitutions changed the game for Ireland.
    Yes and no.

Good to win last night but whatever about Crawford's impact on the result, my sense is we are not getting the most out of the pool of players available to us. Take last night’s game – individually we have a stronger pool of players than Sweden. We’ve two players with 20 caps at this level and the team’s core are Championship-level players. The core of Sweden’s squad are mid-table players taken from their domestic league, the top teams of which are at best L1 standard. I thought Sweden had longish periods of control last night – I don’t think with the better quality we have we should be affording weaker opposition to dictate periods of control, especially when we are the home team.

And note also, we are the only team (so far) to drop points to Luxembourg and we needed last night’s win to just keep in touching distance of Sweden for qualification.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Yes and no.

Good to win last night but whatever about Crawford's impact on the result, my sense is we are not getting the most out of the pool of players available to us. Take last night’s game – individually we have a stronger pool of players than Sweden. We’ve two players with 20 caps at this level and the team’s core are Championship-level players. The core of Sweden’s squad are mid-table players taken from their domestic league, the top teams of which are at best L1 standard. I thought Sweden had longish periods of control last night – I don’t think with the better quality we have we should be affording weaker opposition to dictate periods of control, especially when we are the home team.

And note also, we are the only team (so far) to drop points to Luxembourg and we needed last night’s win to just keep in touching distance of Sweden for qualification.
    Sweden did have longish periods of control but it was like rope a dope. I don't think they really looked like scoring, aside from penalty shouts both ways in first half. Ireland had the better chances on the break, absorbed all the pressure in defence. Maybe the strategy wasn't the greatest given that we left it until literally the last second to take the win but there was method to the approach. I have felt that Kayode has been very isolated in the games I have seen. That was the case against last night. He has a thankless job up there. I'm not sure what the root cause of those gaps between our centre forward and the supporting cast are coming from. It might have a lot to do with Tierney and Wright being fairly poor last night. And I thought Bagan was limited in his passing too.

You're right though regarding the quality. It's great to see Irish players at club levels on par or above counterparts like Sweden and there was technical proficiency there too by a lot of our lads that they didn't match.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Just on Kayode, I thought Tierney was making great efforts to get close to him. Wright was a bit deeper bit I thought he was good overall. The problem with Kayode is, he's not a very good footballer. His movement is predictable, he doesn't make good runs or good decisions, I'd argue that he ends up isolating himself to an extent. Ferguson showed more in his short time on the pitch, admittedly he hasn't done much in previous appearances either, but given his age he looks a much better talent.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Some criticism of Crawford’s handling of Okoflex on this site - it feels that there is a valid point being made here......

https://greenmachinenick.medium.com/...n-7843ede9bd5e

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    Some criticism of Crawford’s handling of Okoflex on this site - it feels that there is a valid point being made here......

https://greenmachinenick.medium.com/...n-7843ede9bd5e
    Read the article and didn't agree with the overall premise of it. But then I thought to myself, what if Okoflex switched to Nigeria and never joined an Irish camp again- would we be referring to Crawford and this camp like the times Rice could have been capped by MON?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    416 Posts
    MON couldn't have capped Rice because Rice was never in a squad for a competitive game.

Unless Okoflex has found a third nationality then he only qualifies for us and Nigeria. If he wants to go play for Nigeria let him go play for Nigeria. Mipo Odubeko was killing it with West Ham's U23s last season and thought he was a superstar, think he's played more with Huddersfield B team than their first team since moving on loan. If Okoflex doesn't fancy waiting for his chance he can try breaking into Nigeria's attack which is much stronger than ours.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Crawfords comments were unusual, and its hard not to think theres a bit more to all this than meets the eye.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    MON couldn't have capped Rice because Rice was never in a squad for a competitive game.

Unless Okoflex has found a third nationality then he only qualifies for us and Nigeria. If he wants to go play for Nigeria let him go play for Nigeria. Mipo Odubeko was killing it with West Ham's U23s last season and thought he was a superstar, think he's played more with Huddersfield B team than their first team since moving on loan. If Okoflex doesn't fancy waiting for his chance he can try breaking into Nigeria's attack which is much stronger than ours.
    MON could have brought him into a squad for a competitive game. And then capped him. The whole point of being called up before you can be capped... that isn't lost on me. But, thanks.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 23/11/2021 at 1:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Not capping Rice in a competitive game was only a mistake in retrospect, at no point were there any calls for him to be promoted to the senior team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    416 Posts
    MON could have brought him into a squad for a competitive game. And then capped him. The whole point of being called up before you can be capped... that isn't lost on me. But, thanks.
    But he did call him up for a competitive game, and the lad said na thanks I fancy playing for England.

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast