Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 177 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Not a wind up at all. I've listened to Robbie give interviews over 20 years or so. He never once put his foot in his mouth like many others do. He speaks honestly and gives credit where it is due. As reliable as his striking presence is his presence in front of the microphone.
    I do recall a couple of really bad press conferences in the Staunton era, and nearly sure he gave a bizarre performance on the LLS defending a bad-beyond-belief Staunton.

On a different note, I agree wholeheartedly with you in your assessment of Shane Duffy. He is unfortunately a throwback to an era of Irish football which never evolved. Just stick a boot or a head on the ball if it comes near the defense. Hopefully Kenny can change all that
    At least I know one person agrees with me on something over the years
    I'm sure Paul O'Shea or someone of his ilk will come along and put me back in my box, or at very least tell me how and why I'm wrong.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    There is nobody else of Paul O'Shea's ilk.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I'd imagine he (Kenny) was being told that "contractual issues" is the legal speak he was advised to use to avoid saying something contentious, or could be used against the FAI if the issue went further.
    Probably something like that. A marginally better excuse than 'I misplaced Robbie's phone nr".

As others have said, he's not a polished speaker, but he's not trying to be either. He has ticks or flaws that most people have in front of the camera.
    That doesn't bother me apart from his occasional whining, well after all he's still a Dub. He's the best candidate for the job now, I'm more referring to all the radio talk about the promise of good things to come under the new regime. For me, I can park all that stuff until the build up to the first game.
    Kerr spoke about the huge shift in public recognition when he was appointed senior team manager, with everybody he happened upon wishing him well, every time he left his house.
    Last edited by geysir; 13/04/2020 at 8:04 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    I hope we are good , virtuous and win like good-uns !

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Interview here with SK - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFAwNiClguc - with fixtures to discuss finally.

Mentions McCarthy / Arter & Molumby in that order re midfield.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    He actually pulled out of a game to make sure he was right for a championship game the next week with Fulham.

<MOD EDIT>
    Arter has an Irish passport and is Irish. End of discussion.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 25/06/2020 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    He actually pulled out of a game to make sure he was right for a championship game the next week with Fulham.
    Have you watched it ? SK seems to want to vouch for him saying he's been with us since U16.
    Anyway, interesting that SK name checked him so early on in his first real interview.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    We can't have lads turning up when it suits them?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    I don’t think international football suits Arter. He certainly has very rarely played well for us all be it from limited chances.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    It's the first time in a while we have had a manager who is willing to talk openly and mention different players, without being worried there will be a question in relation to the player's commitment or his relationship with the manager at the time. It's great there is a blank slate and no ego at the helm. I do think that MON, Trap and Mick were all very conscious and aware of who they were when speaking to the media and were guarded at times to avoid further probing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    It's the first time in a while we have had a manager who is willing to talk openly and mention different players, without being worried there will be a question in relation to the player's commitment or his relationship with the manager at the time. It's great there is a blank slate and no ego at the helm. I do think that MON, Trap and Mick were all very conscious and aware of who they were when speaking to the media and were guarded at times to avoid further probing.
    wasn't the SK interview with FAI TV though? Cant imagine that they would ever go down the line of questioning that you mention

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Which game was that?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    He's spoken to all the players since lock down and was asked if it's possible that we’ll see some new players in the squad, then SK mentioned McCarthy and Arter.
    i.e. with all questions of commitment aside as SK is best placed to have an overview of that situation.

I'm biased as that's who I'd like to see playing together in a 4231.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Under Mick I think it was Switzerland at home
    Under MON I'm 100% sure he flew to Dubai with his club injured instead of reporting to the FAI medical staff, he then played that weekend for Bournemouth( and missed a peno)

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Under Mick I think it was Switzerland at home
    Arter was injured for the Switzerland game: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mcca...rland-bulgaria
    Fulham midfielder Harry Arter is absent as he requires a procedure on an ankle injury
    Under MON I'm 100% sure he flew to Dubai with his club injured instead of reporting to the FAI medical staff, he then played that weekend for Bournemouth( and missed a peno)
    He wasn't fit to play for his club, so he didn't play for Ireland. We've been through this
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Arter was injured playing against West Ham on 11th March, and subsequently pulled out of the Ireland squad to play Wales and Iceland. During the international break, he flew with Bournemouth for warm weather training in Dubai. While there, the players and management went go-karting as a team building exercise. There is no evidence to date that Arter participated in it. He was deemed fit enough by Bournemouth to play on the 1st April against Southampton, as a second half substitute.
    End of discussion.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Arter was injured for the Switzerland game: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mcca...rland-bulgaria

He wasn't fit to play for his club, so he didn't play for Ireland. We've been through this
    How do we know if he didn't turn up to be assessed? ( which he is obliged to do)

If he is such a patriot why didn't he try and make himself available to play the Iceland friendly

RE Switzerland Tets he played the next Fulham game, he used the international break to rest up. do u think that's ok? I wonder would James McClean agree with me or you?

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Its not without its controversy, and to say there are no question marks over his turning up record is stretching it a bit. He clearly annoyed MickMack too at one stage I recall. But the take away from SKs words yesterday is he is available and likely to be involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    why play a friendly when you can continue your recovery from injury?
    Also, he was in Dubai.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Just playing devil's advocate - I've no feelings on Arter one way or another - but if any of us felt we were good players, tactically smart and unsuited to hoof-ball, but the management stuck to a handful of players (maybe not as good as us) would any of us have bust a gut to turn up, knowing the chance of a game was slim?
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Just playing devil's advocate - I've no feelings on Arter one way or another - but if any of us felt we were good players, tactically smart and unsuited to hoof-ball, but the management stuck to a handful of players (maybe not as good as us) would any of us have bust a gut to turn up, knowing the chance of a game was slim?
    That's not playing devil's advocate, that question has nothing to do with Arter, he was injured, it was accepted by the FAI doctor that he was injured and 4 weeks later he recovered enough to be on the subs bench for his club.

How about you're in the squad but not fully fit, under orders to follow a restricted training recovery regime and the assistant manager Roy (never a faker) comes over, does a tantrum, screams out that not only are you faking injury but you're also a pr*ck and a c*nt,. And the spineless manager supports the assistant. Play the devil's advocate with that one

Page 5 of 177 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast