Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Qualifying 2018, UEFA Group D - Opponent Watch

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It ended up 1 nil
    It would have been a supreme trial to endure that depressing fare waiting for a beneficial result. Much better that we had that afternoon game with a real knife edge to it, to boost our smidgens of hope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    If anyone scores in the Croatia/Ukraine match, I believe Wales would also need to score, but not necessarily win, against us. If the Croatia match ends in a goalless draw and our match ends in a 1-1 draw, it would go to fair play points between Croatia and Wales.
    It's the other way around, a 1-1 draw in Cro-UKr with a goalless draw in Cardiff would likely send the Croats through on fair play record.

They will play for a win though, draw is no good for them to beat Slovakia.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    2-0 is nicer.
    I'd have preferred they won, were seeded for the play-offs and then we drew them after we see Wales off tomorrow.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Feel sorry for the Scots, but at east we'll be spared those pink jerseys in Russia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Feel sorry for the Scots, but at east we'll be spared those pink jerseys in Russia.
    They would have been banned for promoting non-traditional relations to minors under Putin's law, anyway.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I'd have preferred they won, were seeded for the play-offs and then we drew them after we see Wales off tomorrow.
    They're too close to a World Cup as it is. It's like when Kerry edge towards the AISF... It's too close for my ticker.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Whatever about Ireland, is the Welsh knockout as much of a disaster for them as I think it is? Considering the performance at the Euros and their current ranking, to not even make the play-offs seems a very bad result, even if Wales are relatively new to the higher positions. There's always been an opinion that they aren't anything special without Bale, but it wasn't until last night that I took it as seriously as others. That one header, that distant effort in the first half that was probably going over anyway...what else did they create that had Randolph worried?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Robson header just before we scored .... he got ahead of Duffy ... great save by Randolph! .. And from corner in second half ... Chester header hit side netting - beat Ward in the air!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I think Slovakia have genuine grief at losing out on the 2nd place play-off. They gave big Sam his one and only international point, after conceding a last minute og.
    Against Scotland they had Mak sent off after 25 minutes, the ref judged that he dived to win a penalty. Mak did go down on his knees without any contact but he was up in a flash and went after the ball. That in my mind created enough doubt.
    Their misfortune is our opportunity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    They lost that game to Big Sam. They did win their home game against Slovenia with a late own goal also, so I guess that kind of balanced out.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I think Slovakia have genuine grief at losing out on the 2nd place play-off. They gave big Sam his one and only international point, after conceding a last minute og.
    Against Scotland they had Mak sent off after 25 minutes, the ref judged that he dived to win a penalty. Mak did go down on his knees without any contact but he was up in a flash and went after the ball. That in my mind created enough doubt.
    Their misfortune is our opportunity.
    Dive all day long! He only got up quickly because he knew how bad the dive looked. 99% of the time I give the guy the benefit of any doubt that he might have been expecting to be hit but Gordon withdrew from the tackle early.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Dive all day long! He only got up quickly because he knew how bad the dive looked. 99% of the time I give the guy the benefit of any doubt that he might have been expecting to be hit but Gordon withdrew from the tackle early.
    It is not known why he got up so quickly, nor can an attempt to read his intentions in that split second be used as good evidence , but because he got up instantly, an action we could all see, it removes or casts enough doubt on the mandatory condition of interpretation, i.e. does the player 'attempt to deceive the ref' or 'pretend to have been fouled'?
    It might well have been Mak's intention to deceive but he pulled out of the deception process.

If that was the strict standard of yellow card, the one given to Mak, then yellow cards would be dished out willy nilly in game after game.
    Even this morning the ref ignored a blatant dive by an Australian in the box who had then proceeded to roll all over the grass in apparent deathly agony.
    The minimum standard to satisfy the interpretation of simulation, is a player falling to the ground and simulating being tackled or hurt. Even that minimum standard is not practiced most of the time.
    That's why I say Mak and Slovakia were unfortunate in that game.
    Last edited by geysir; 10/10/2017 at 4:13 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    They lost that game to Big Sam.
    It was indeed a late goal victory for big Sam and a dropped point for Slovakia.

They did win their home game against Slovenia with a late own goal also, so I guess that kind of balanced out.
    That's superstition.

The Slovaks one nil home victory over Slovenia was balanced out by Slovenia's one nil home victory over the Slovaks.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    It is not known why he got up so quickly, nor can an attempt to read his intentions in that split second be used as good evidence , but because he got up instantly, an action we could all see, it removes or casts enough doubt on the mandatory condition of interpretation, i.e. does the player 'attempt to deceive the ref' or 'pretend to have been fouled'?
    It might well have been Mak's intention to deceive but he pulled out of the deception process.

If that was the strict standard of yellow card, the one given to Mak, then yellow cards would be dished out willy nilly in game after game.
    Even this morning the ref ignored a blatant dive by an Australian in the box who had then proceeded to roll all over the grass in apparent deathly agony.
    The minimum standard to satisfy the interpretation of simulation, is a player falling to the ground and simulating being tackled or hurt. Even that minimum standard is not practiced most of the time.
    That's why I say Mak and Slovakia were unfortunate in that game.
    Sorry, I just don't see it that way at all. Who says there's a strict minimum standard? And what Mak was thinking isn't known as fact, that's certain. You don't know, I don't know and the ref didn't know. The ref had to make a judgment - read his intentions as you say - and did just that. I reckon (note - reckon, not know) if you asked Mak off the record he'd say he was trying to get a penalty.

I think Mak dived and realised it was a pathetic dive that wouldn't even have deceived a 3 year old so got up. Getting up didn't add any doubt to the mandatory interpretation at all. He didn't simulate being hurt but he 100% simulated being fouled. When that happens it should be a yellow card. What he did is not so common that yellows would be given willy nilly. And do you really have to hit the ground for simulation? What about pretending to be butted? Plenty stand up after that but still simulate.

I have no idea what happened in the Australia game. If the ref made a mess of it so be it. You're almost certainly right. But I don't agree with you at all on Mak's dive, the yellow card and your subsequent standard for a yellow card for simulation. In my opinion the simple standard is whether the ref thought the player was trying to deceive him (or her) into awarding a free or pen, as you say yourself the "mandatory condition of interpretation" although that's quite a legalistic way of putting it.

As I said earlier, I always look to give the benefit of doubt. I was looking to see if Mak might have realistically expected to have been hit by Gordon but Gordon withdrew so clearly and early that I couldn't give Mak the benefit in that instance. Way too many pundits blabber on about "going down too easily" or make judgments simply on whether there was contact, and it makes it out that simulation is worse than it actually is, but Mak's was a dive all day long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Portugal 1-0 up : )
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    It was a great cross into the box. Very difficult for the Swiss defence to deal with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Holland 2-0 up against Sweden. Is it a mere five further goals they need now to make the play-offs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    It was a great cross into the box. Very difficult for the Swiss defence to deal with.
    I'd imagine Portugal should roll the Swiss aside now

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Portugal beat Switzerland 2-0, so the Portuguese qualify automatically for Russia.

Switzerland, Sweden and Greece are all confirmed in the play-offs after tonight's results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I know the Swiss have had a great record in qualifying but I would fancy either ourselves or the north to get past them based on that performance. They should have dealt with the cross for the first goal and the 2nd was a bit of a defensive shambles. There was very little in the way of a response to them going behind. Even with Ronaldo having an off night Portugal were very comfortable.

If we put the same sort of physical challenge to them as we put to Wales last night I don't think they would be equal to it.

22. Thanks From:

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast