Page 44 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Dan Cleary (Dundalk to St Johnstone) confirmed now
    Good move for him, even in the ridiculous circus of p6 last year and before he stood out, always said this is the career move most LOI players should be looking for, SPL.

PL is closed shop and Championship is higher standard than prob 4-6 euro leagues at this stage.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Saints have lost 8 on the spin and look like relegation fodder

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Hoban's League Two record - 65 games, 7 goals

Doyle's League Two record - 132 games, 57 goals, which includes being second top scorer in the division last season. Even his Championship record - 57 games, 10 goals - is better than Hoban's L2 record.

Time well tell, for sure, but I think those stats more than compensate for three extra years. 33 is hardly past it.
    No, but if reports are correct, giving a 3 year contract for someone who will obviously be 36 in 3 years time and on big wages is a bit of a risk in my view, as said before there wouldnt be any English clubs offering this, same to any other player same age not just him. Good player, don't get wrong, scored today, decent standard, but 3 years, no way, I wouldn't pay it.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Funny, on the stats I was surprised to see that Hoban has only 5 goals in 23 European games. That's really poor.

Agree the three-year deal is a bit of a risk, but (assuming the money involved isn't mad stuff) it seems a risk worth taking as it does seem to give Pat's the edge over Dundalk/Bohs in what we should probably start calling the race for third.
    I was thinking about this earlier, then remembered, forgot about Sligo, so its really 4 going for 3rd place next season, but unless Dundalk recruit better quality this month, I can't see us getting any higher than 4th. Then again, I suppose that would be a huge improvement on the car crash of 2021.

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Yeah, sorry Sligo fans! Ye should be in there too alright.

Still a ways to go till we can start the 2022 predictions thread though.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I completely forgot too !!!!!!!!

And they were solid in 3rd last season too, even after taking the summer off !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Saints have lost 8 on the spin and look like relegation fodder
    Maybe but SPL is still a far better standard than LOI, fully pro league (and stadia), plus not sure St Mirren were doing that well when Jamie McG moved over.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    The only thing that can be said with any certainty is that Shamrock Rovers will be there or thereabouts. Derry and Pats appear to be investing in significantly strengthening their squads, Sligo seem to be at about the same level as last year, Bohs a little weaker. Dundalk are well off the pace on the basis of what has been signed so far but there's still time and, presumably, money. But you can't tell how new squads will gell. Pats were comfortably the second best team in 2021 whereas most people had them pegged for 4th-5th at the start of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsdad View Post
    The only thing that can be said with any certainty is that Shamrock Rovers will be there or thereabouts. Derry and Pats appear to be investing in significantly strengthening their squads, Sligo seem to be at about the same level as last year, Bohs a little weaker. Dundalk are well off the pace on the basis of what has been signed so far but there's still time and, presumably, money. But you can't tell how new squads will gell. Pats were comfortably the second best team in 2021 whereas most people had them pegged for 4th-5th at the start of the season.
    We'll do the predictions thing later, but seems already Rovers odds on then Derry for second, 3rd spot up for grabs, Pats at the minute in good shape, but Sligo have decent squad (still) Bohs too, and Dundalk have 5-6 more to join, a lot will depend on that quality.

However I would see Rovers out front, Derry next, and the rest a fair good bit back.

Fair point on Pats last season, I actually thought getting second more impressive than winning the cup, fans love the day out of course and the trophy (nothing quite like it) but coming second shows great consistency.

For those of an older persuasion the great Jim McLaughlin DFC teams, two runners up in 80 and 81 either side of league titles were almost equally as impressive, as meant you were still 'at it'. Cork City to be fair probably on same context possibly deserved more than a single league title during Caulfield era only to come up against SK, but it didn't take anything away from their quality, 3 runners up in a row then a (well deserved) title in 2017 was very impressive.
    Last edited by oriel; 01/01/2022 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    dundalk wont be near top 3 anyway. a good bit back in 5th or 6th next season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Surprised at that, there’s probably 5-10 other centre backs in the league I’d have down as being better than him.

Edit: Just noticed that Hamilton aren’t currently in the SPL, makes sense as a transfer so
    Not a step up in standard, but he's got a full time deal and probably a last shot as a full time professional with a semi-decent wage.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts
    Andre Wright gone to Telford. Didn’t make a huge impact with us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Andre Wright gone to Telford. Didn’t make a huge impact with us.
    was in a good situation at bohs with how they play. hes technically very limited, hard to see him jumping up any levels in UK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    dundalk wont be near top 3 anyway. a good bit back in 5th or 6th next season
    On current players onboard I would think 4th will be the highest. Finished 6th last year and that was by doing almost nothing from May to August.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    104 Posts
    Will be interesting to see how it has taken shape come the start of the season. We were comfortably enough second best last season but this time last year folk were worried about relegation. I think Dundalk will end up looking strong personally, not like they couldn't field a decent side right now anyway.

Think we might be reliant on some loans coming good like Jaros and Lewis did. I'd say even with Doyle signing we're maybe 4 players short of being properly in the mix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    We’ve announced today the following players from last season are under contract for 2022.

— Eddie Nolan
    – George Forrest
    – Jeremie Milambo
    – Niall O’Keeffe
    – Junior Quitirna
    – Phoenix Patterson
    – Cian Kavanagh
    – Ronaldo Green

An front three of Junior, Phoenix and Kavanagh could be lethal. O’Keeffe and Nolan are two important ones. O’Keeffe is one of the young players to lookout for.
    Our first new signings have been added to the squad officially.

- Killian Cantwell - Athlone. Former Blues U19 also.
    - Yassine En-Neyah - Shels. Don’t know anything about him, reaction from Shels indicate they seem to rate him.
    Last edited by sulywaterfordfc; 02/01/2022 at 2:26 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    En-Neyah joined us late in the season made 6 starts/4 subs got 1 goal was playing central attacking or out wide. I thought he looked tidy but wouldn't have been convinced he was at the level for Premier Division, a full season full-time under Morris again it's a good move for him
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Blackburn manager Tony Mowbray has confirmed James Brown will sign for their U23 squad. I get that it can be hard to turn these things down for 18/19 year old lads that have aspirations of breaking into a first team but for Brown who is already 23 years old it’s a bad move in my books

https://twitter.com/richsharpe89/sta...513209346?s=21
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Blackburn manager Tony Mowbray has confirmed James Brown will sign for their U23 squad. I get that it can be hard to turn these things down for 18/19 year old lads that have aspirations of breaking into a first team but for Brown who is already 23 years old it’s a bad move in my books

https://twitter.com/richsharpe89/sta...513209346?s=21
    umm bit strange that one. More or less being told that he is only back up. I know they are a huge club but shows a lack of ambition for Brown himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    i assume hes been promised something better than u23 football once this season ends. probably just want him to get more games into him. the jump from LOI to CH is pretty big infairness. Any word on the length of the deal? the money must have been good either way, hard to turn it down.

Page 44 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast