Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 42 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    These deals are how clubs go broke, having a 36year old on the decline as close to your highest paid player is not the right way to run your club, he may do fine year one but these deals never work out well for the club over the course of the deal
    A run in europe pays for his 3 years. They'll have 2 seasons to get it from him but I wouldnt say its unlikely its paid back. hes been a consistent scorer in l1/l2 up until this year. Decline is inevitable but he's playing in a league thats much weaker on the whole than l2/l1 so the decline shouldnt come as quick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    If he looks after himself it's not inevitable that he'll have declined that badly by 35/36.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    sorry i couldnt let that go.
    Eoin Doyle is considerably a better striker than hoban. Considerably. To suggest otherwise is just laughable in the extreme
    Proof will be in the pudding next season then, Hoban also have 3 years on Doyle.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Hoban's League Two record - 65 games, 7 goals

Doyle's League Two record - 132 games, 57 goals, which includes being second top scorer in the division last season. Even his Championship record - 57 games, 10 goals - is better than Hoban's L2 record.

Time well tell, for sure, but I think those stats more than compensate for three extra years. 33 is hardly past it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    A 3 year deal for a 33-year-old is nuts IMO and I’m glad Rovers reportedly balked at the terms but to suggest Hooooban is in the same league as Doyle is laughable.

Would be very confident that Doyle will score shedloads of goals but that the ‘best attack in the League’ will once again be Rovers midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Hoban's League Two record - 65 games, 7 goals

Doyle's League Two record - 132 games, 57 goals, which includes being second top scorer in the division last season. Even his Championship record - 57 games, 10 goals - is better than Hoban's L2 record.

Time well tell, for sure, but I think those stats more than compensate for three extra years. 33 is hardly past it.
    You got there before me with the Stats.
    Hoban is a decent striker that was able to cash in on goals as part of a great Dundalk team that steamrollered most teams in the division. Imagine Christy Fagan or Gary Twigg up front for Dundalk in those years.

Doyle is a different class of player entirely.
    Pats winning the Pre season again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Funny, on the stats I was surprised to see that Hoban has only 5 goals in 23 European games. That's really poor.

Agree the three-year deal is a bit of a risk, but (assuming the money involved isn't mad stuff) it seems a risk worth taking as it does seem to give Pat's the edge over Dundalk/Bohs in what we should probably start calling the race for third.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Funny, on the stats I was surprised to see that Hoban has only 5 goals in 23 European games. That's really poor.

Agree the three-year deal is a bit of a risk, but (assuming the money involved isn't mad stuff) it seems a risk worth taking as it does seem to give Pat's the edge over Dundalk/Bohs in what we should probably start calling the race for third.
    McMillan has 14 Euro goals I think, (13 with Dundalk also), and yes that is a surprise with Hoban only on 5 euro goals.

I just think on all round play, there is no better striker in the league that Hoban, agreed his return in UK was poor but his hold up play and strength added to his domestic goals, I don't see anyone better even with Doyle coming into Pats, but its a game of opinions, still think 3 year deal for a 33 is a bit much, but time will tell.

Happy New Year all !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Paul Hunt and Conor Barry in there now too. They've a very decent squad this season. Dark horses.
    Also add Joe Manley to the list also he played for us last season in the top flight.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Not going to weigh in on the whole Doyle v Hooban debate tbh. He is an experience striker who netted 19 times in league 2 last year so that alone gives reason to welcome his signing. The contract is a gamble but it was no doubt a huge incentive to sign in the first place. It’s an ambitious signing with eyes on European progression in mind.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Were Bolton looking to offload him? He still seemed to be in decent form for them.

I get people saying a 3-year deal is better than a 1-year deal, but it's not like he'd be on the same money. For all we know, he'd earn as much in 1 week/year at Bolton as he would in 2 (or even 3?) weeks/years at Pats.
    Last edited by osarusan; 31/12/2021 at 5:25 PM.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Is it 4 in 20 in the league for Bolton this year? A pessimist might say that he's found the step back up tricky and that, coupled with his age, could raise a few questionmarks as to whether the guy is in serious decline. Time will tell obviously, I've no skin in the fight, but I'd be less sure than some here seem to be that he'll be a roaring success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Yep, but he's their second top scorer too. An optimist would say double figures for a newly-promoted side (are Bolton still bankrupt?) wouldn't be bad. It'd match his last season at that level three years ago too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Were Bolton looking to offload him? He still seemed to be in decent form for them.

I get people saying a 3-year deal is better than a 1-year deal, but it's not like he'd be on the same money. For all we know, he'd earn as much in 1 week/year at Bolton as he would in 2 (or even 3?) weeks/years at Pats.
    I’d say the move is heavily influenced by his domestic situation ; he and his wife also from dublin want to return ; three young kids for whom this is the right time to return ; plus he owns a major share in a crèche in Dublin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    I’d say the move is heavily influenced by his domestic situation ; he and his wife also from dublin want to return ; three young kids for whom this is the right time to return ; plus he owns a major share in a crèche in Dublin
    He will find his return to the LOI child’s play so.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Yep, but he's their second top scorer too. An optimist would say double figures for a newly-promoted side (are Bolton still bankrupt?) wouldn't be bad. It'd match his last season at that level three years ago too.
    I followed Limerick around for far too long to retain even a hint of optimism.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Ah, the joys of the League of Ireland alright!

Time will tell for sure. But it definitely adds more interest to the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    104 Posts
    I think there's reason for skepticism for sure, but if there wasn't this wouldn't even be happening to be fair. He was banging them in quite recently at a decent level and Bolton fans seem to have mixed reviews at this news though so there's enough to say it's at least worth the risk.

Still and all, we're in decent shape in that area of the pitch at the moment, but if you're talking challenging for anything then a goalkeeper, right back and probably two midfielders would still be needed. Considering we had about 2 players signed up at this time last year it's not bad going mind!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    I think there's reason for skepticism for sure, but if there wasn't this wouldn't even be happening to be fair. He was banging them in quite recently at a decent level and Bolton fans seem to have mixed reviews at this news though so there's enough to say it's at least worth the risk.

Still and all, we're in decent shape in that area of the pitch at the moment, but if you're talking challenging for anything then a goalkeeper, right back and probably two midfielders would still be needed. Considering we had about 2 players signed up at this time last year it's not bad going mind!
    Pats fans, get on to 'the men who saved football' DFC fancast, super line in the episode today 'Pats fans should be thanking SOD for winning the cup and getting into europe as opposed to their anger of him leaving'

(They also made the same point, Pats are in good shape too)

On that, I`ll leave you all to 2022, have a good one and we'll see you on the other side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Pats fans, get on to 'the men who saved football' DFC fancast, super line in the episode today 'Pats fans should be thanking SOD for winning the cup and getting into europe as opposed to their anger of him leaving'

(They also made the same point, Pats are in good shape too)

On that, I`ll leave you all to 2022, have a good one and we'll see you on the other side.
    Nah bit like the Catholic Church praising Judas Iscariot & making him a Saint.

22. Thanks From:

Page 42 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast