Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Tets, is there a Mick McCarthy thread?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ng-mantis.html

Great interview.
    Also always worth going to the bottom of the page to see related threads. In this instance, you'll see 5 threads about Mick, including a very strange Ode which is 16 years old.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    See Hurst got sack today. He certainly has not been helpful to the Irish lads there

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    See Hurst got sack today. He certainly has not been helpful to the Irish lads there
    Ha! Numbskulls.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Mick was the last Irish manager whose team played a passing game, particularly when Quinn wasn't available. Would possibly be cheaper than O'Neill and has shown he can get the most out of what he has got. I also feel he might get a kick out of showing Roy how to manage successfully!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    and i read recently that some ipswich fans still think they did the right thing getting rid of Mick. lets see how they enjoy league 1!
    the delusion of some football fans never fails to baffle me

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Its the kind of job Martin O Neill could show how good he is in . At least he would be able to buy some players if the chairperson coughs up the dough .

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Its the kind of job Martin O Neill could show how good he is in . At least he would be able to buy some players if the chairperson coughs up the dough .
    Money seems in short supply. Hurst brought in from league 1 and 2. He seemed to take serious dislike to cotter drinan and McLoughlin who all were involved at first team level last season and not a sniff so far this season. Drinan does not appear to be lighting it up at Sutton

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Money seems in short supply. Hurst brought in from league 1 and 2. He seemed to take serious dislike to cotter drinan and McLoughlin who all were involved at first team level last season and not a sniff so far this season. Drinan does not appear to be lighting it up at Sutton
    A bad job to take . Pretty obvious Ipswich needed to buy some quality players . Some of these jobs should be turned down but thats a tricky decision for managers trying to work their way up the Club ladder thingy .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    If we're hoping for a job that might see MON as a realistic candidate - Nottm Forest might be our best bet. A poor run of results could see that job become available.

I wonder if the Stoke job came up again, would they come back in for O'Neill?

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    and i read recently that some ipswich fans still think they did the right thing getting rid of Mick. lets see how they enjoy league 1!
    the delusion of some football fans never fails to baffle me
    Yes, unbelievable, Jeff. Mick took them over when they were bottom of the league, shortly after a 0-3 home drubbing by Sheffield Wednesday (which shows how bad they were), and with a minus investment brought them each year within shouting distance of the play offs. It's as if they expect Ipswich to be entitled to be in the play offs despite a minus investment. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed is king.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Given he's looking extremely likely to be back in charge of us, what can we expect from Mick in terms of squad choices.

You'd imagine that David McGoldrick will be a consideration again. You would think that the embarrassing situation of the 2g and 3g players become a lot easier to manage given his own background.
    So Liam Kelly, Dan Crowley and Ricer back on board? Is there any possibility now that LOI lads such as Sadlier, Duffy or Hoban get a run? probably not.

Are we looking at a big man/little man combo? If so, what are the big man options? Conor Sammon; Aiden O'Brien; Mr. Sherry?

Given his fondness for wingers, does it mean Daryl Horgan and Callum O'Dowda become more valuable? Mick always liked a goal threat from midfield - will Conor Hourihane or Alan Browne get a proper platform to push on.

Given he signed him for Wolves, is it a likely return for Stephen Ward at left-full?

It's nice to think of the possibilities....
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I wouldn't rule out LOI players at some point but there are no near term opportunities for "run outs".

I think McGoldrick and Kelly are likely to be straight back in. I'm optimistic Rice may be back.

I'd like to think Stevens gets the nod over Ward despite the prior relationship. I'd like to see a rejuvenated Hendrick alongside McCarthy but as you say, Hourihane and Browne may be involved. Rice back would change everything

I can see 4411, with 2 of Coleman/ Doherty / Christie on one side and Stevens / Brady on the other with Horgan/McClean/O'Dowda as bench options. I can see McGoldrick playing 10 with Robinson in front. I'd like to think Shane Long gets a new lease of life, and not just chasing lost causes.

I've thought all along we've got OK players. We need to play them in roles that suit them. Mick usually put out well-balanced teams. He also made some odd decisions at times too. But the type of player he'll be able to choose from is exactly the type of player he has done well with at club level.

17. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Mick took Ward from Bohs and started him more or less straight away in the Championship, which is where half our squad play, so I doubt he'd have many qualms about picking a player from the league. Duffy looks like a player Mick would seriously consider, McEleney not so much. Other than those, the standout players in LOI have already left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Have to say I'm delighted Big Mick is back. I think he's the right man for the job and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the handover to Stephen Kenny doesn't happen in 2 years time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Mick also turned Ward from a striker into a LB

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    He signed Matt Doherty too at Wolves. Their public personas seem to me as more compatible than Doherty's was with the previous regime.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Didn't he give a young Irish kid a debut last year? And sign a kid from Templeogue? The name Kinsella jumps to mind but I'm not sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Didn't he give a young Irish kid a debut last year? And sign a kid from Templeogue? The name Kinsella jumps to mind but I'm not sure.
    Barry Cotter? Signed him from Limerick FC, think he's actually from Ennis.
    He was part of the reason Mick decided to leave the Ipswich job. Cotter had been playing well in Mick's final game, but was clearly tiring and had been beaten a few times so Mick substituted him. The crowd started booing this decision, "you don't know what you're doing", etc, which is why he decided to give his notice at Ipswich.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Yes, thats him. Thanks. And the Templeogue fella? Or is that a figment of my imagination?

Edit: Stephen Kinsella. Everton, not Ipswich, bought him from Templeogue United. Right colours I suppose! I think he went on loan to Dundalk.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 26/11/2018 at 5:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Think Everton released him earlier this year

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast