Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Season Tickets

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    No, it would only be "ironic" had I been proposing Glentoran as a model-run club, or one which was not dependant upon a benefactor, or had I suggested clubs should be building new stadia entirely from their own resources.

None of which applies, rendering your claim as just another jab at me which has missed its target.

Merely "explaining" why your post was gash.

Poster A has a pop at Poster B's post, Poster B defends it. It's how a discussion forum works.

#Troll
    It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife....

It's hilarous how every single post you get challenged on by anyone turns into the latest hill that you must die on Genuinely 'fragile male ego' stuff.

Any lectures for us all on the Leinster Senior League today ?
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 12/01/2023 at 5:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Well Ballymena and Derry are at least 2 clubs in NI with council-owned faciltiies. Are there any others?
    Ballymena's Showgrounds are indeed Council-owned. But while they are a very supportive owner, they could nor be expected to build BUFC a brand new stadium like eg in Tallaght, should it be required (which of course it it wouldn't).

While the Brandywell was originally gifted to the local Council by The Honourable The Irish Society, with safeguards in the lease which protect DCFCs interests. But seeing as they already own it, Derry & Strabane Council are never going to build a brand new stadium for DCFC, which was the point I was originally replying to.

Isn't the Coleraine Showgrounds owned by some agricultural body, rather than the club?
    Technically the Showgrounds are "owned" by the North Derry Agricultural Society. But seeing as they only charge a peppercorn rent, and CFC have a long lease (99 years?), like eg a leaseholder of a flat in a residential context, CFC are effectively the owner. As they have been since their inception in 1927.

Anyhow, even if you exclude CFC, along with BUFC, I'm pretty sure the other 10 IL Premiership clubs all own their own grounds, as do the big majority* of Championship clubs.

* - Or will do, when Institute and Ards move into their proposed new grounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    It's hilarous how every single post you get challenged on by anyone:
    No, there is a clear pattern here.

I make various posts on various points and other posters sometimes agree, sometimes disagree. Either way, such exchanges generally play the ball, not the man.

But I say "generally", since you are the exception in that you never miss an opportunity to have a pop at me personally. (God knows why)

This particular exchange is a typical example. That is, another poster opined that ideally, stadia should be Council-owned, like eg Tallaght. I doubted whether Councils in ROI (or NI, for that matter) would be prepared to follow the example of SDCC. Far better, I argued, for clubs to own their own ground (allows borrowing to invest when times are good, or security against debt when times are bad etc). Either way, this was just the normal to-and-fro of any forum, nothing personal.

Until you saw an opportunity to try to discredit me personally, in this case by making fatuous, passive-aggressive and imaginary arguments about my position on Glentoran, even though I have never proclaimed any such position myself.

In other words, Trolling.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Good Stuff Ealing may not always agree with you but you argue/debate so well. Mind yerself it can get headwreckin.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts

I make various posts on various points and other posters sometimes agree, sometimes disagree. Either way, such exchanges generally play the ball, not the man.

But I say "generally", since you are the exception in that you never miss an opportunity to have a pop at me personally. (God knows why)

This particular exchange is a typical example. That is, another poster opined that ideally, stadia should be Council-owned, like eg Tallaght. I doubted whether Councils in ROI (or NI, for that matter) would be prepared to follow the example of SDCC. Far better, I argued, for clubs to own their own ground (allows borrowing to invest when times are good, or security against debt when times are bad etc). Either way, this was just the normal to-and-fro of any forum, nothing personal.

Until you saw an opportunity to try to discredit me personally, in this case by making fatuous, passive-aggressive and imaginary arguments about my position on Glentoran, even though I have never proclaimed any such position myself.

It's probably fair to say that I have beef wiht you on here. But it's because of how you conduct yourself in 'debate'. You cannot accept being challenged on here - even when you are patently wrong. There are multiple examples of this. The most blatant and frankly laughable being the time there were genuinely about half a dozen differet people all teling you you were talking nonesense about Leinster Senior League clubs, and yet you still refused to hold your hands up and just accept that you had got that wrong. We all get stuff wrong on here at times - that's life. Yet you appear uniquely incapable of ever admitting it, and choose to instead double or treble-down on being wrong, to the point of absurdity. BTW - That LSL discussion ended with you just disappearig from the site for a few weeks rather than listen to multiple people who clearly knew more about the topic than you. Then there was you claiming Derry City were looking for £10m from Stormont for the Brandywell, which was clearly a mistaken presumption on your point based on what Glentoran were looking for. And even when media articles were posted to show you that you were clearly wrong on your assumption on that (it was only £3m they were seeking, with the total project being £10m), you STILL kept banging on about it again. And again. And again.

We all get stuff wrong buddy. There is no shame in that. Every single thing you say doesn't have to be turned into a personal Bakhmut and a comical refusal to ever accept you might have got something wrong. Especially when for obvious reasons you're not going to be as steeped in LOI football as many on here are.

So on that basis, maybe now you can see why someone would have beef. Anyways, I'm off to listen to some Alanis Morisette
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 12/01/2023 at 7:24 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts

To add - you also don't seem to understand how football 'banter' works.

If your club does something silly then :

a) Fans of other clubs will remind you mercilessly of it, and
    b) It reduces your ability to criticise other clubs for the same thing.

Whether you agreed or not with silly thing 'X' your club did is completely and utterly irrelevant. That's just the way it works between football fans.

Hence despite Rovers having the best ground in the league now, other fans will still jibe them over being homeless probably for decades to come. Hence why Dundalk fans can't credibly criticise any other ground's away end, no matter how much they themselves disagree with the state of Oriel Park. Hence Cork and Derry fans can't really criticise other clubs for financial prudence. And so on. Because that's how football fandom works.

So you can either roll with the cut and thrust of it, or you can be like that weirdly sensitive kid in class who can't handle the 'banter' or criticism : "Well actually, the evidence shows that what you said about my mother just isn't true" (* cue massive collective yawn *). Don't be that fragile, over-sensitive kid just because someone made a joke/jibe about what your club has done. Boo hoo. That's just football.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 12/01/2023 at 8:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

If your club does something silly then :

a) Fans of other clubs will remind you mercilessly of it, and
    b) It reduces your ability to criticise other clubs for the same thing.

Whether you agreed or not with silly thing 'X' your club did is completely and utterly irrelevant. That's just the way it works between football fans.

Hence despite Rovers having the best ground in the league now, other fans will still jibe them over being homeless probably for decades to come. Hence why Dundalk fans can't credibly criticise any other ground's away end, no matter how much they themselves disagree with the state of Oriel Park. Hence Cork and Derry fans can't really criticise other clubs for financial prudence. And so on. Because that's how football fandom works.

So you can either roll with the cut and thrust of it, or you can be like that weirdly sensitive kid in class who can't handle the 'banter' or criticism : "Well actually, the evidence shows that what you said about my mother just isn't true" (* cue massive collective yawn *). Don't be that fragile, over-sensitive kid just because someone made a joke/jibe about what your club has done. Boo hoo. That's just football.
    Over the course of my life 98.99% of any time someone in what was a debate ; when one party says something offensive etc. when challenged they then use the “.. it’s only banter..” defence ….

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Over the course of my life 98.99% of any time someone in what was a debate ; when one party says something offensive etc. when challenged they then use the “.. it’s only banter..” defence ….
    Can you clarify what was 'offensive' about pointing out how Glentoran fans are in no position to critique other clubs for prioritising spending on players over stadium ? Jeez Calcio - I didn't have you down as that weirdly sensitive kid in class either

So just because Bohs fan didn't agree with their club selling part of Dalymount twice, you'll never jibe them about it? Sure, sure...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Can you clarify what was 'offensive' about pointing out how Glentoran fans are in no position to critique other clubs for prioritising spending on players over stadium ? Jeez Calcio - I didn't have you down as that weirdly sensitive kid in class either

So just because Bohs fan didn't agree with their club selling part of Dalymount twice, you'll never jibe them about it? Sure, sure...
    I never said anything was offensive….As I say 98.99%….

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    1.Where have I ever claimed that the Glens have been competently run in recent years? Quite obviously they haven't. However, my point is that had they not owned their own stadium, they almost certainly would have gone bust before now, possibly have ceased even to exist entirely;
    2. The money to sign McGinn is coming from the owner/benefactor. An owner/benefactor who almost certainly wouldn't have bought into the club and cleared its debts etc had the club not also owned its own stadium;
    3. It is a decade since The Fools on the Hill announced that £10m(?) of the £36m Sub-Regional funding allocation would go towards a new UEFA compliant, medium-sized (8K?) rebuild at The Oval, since delayed by their interminable squabbling. Which in turn is why Glentoran are only doing the minimum to keep the turnstiles open and the lights on i.e. why would the owner pour new money into an old facility which is due to be replaced anyhow?

Apart from all that, you cetainly got me there...
    Be a sad day when ye move out of the Oval. An amazing stadium!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    Good Stuff Ealing may not always agree with you but you argue/debate so well. Mind yerself it can get headwreckin.
    Thanks - my own head was wrecked years ago! (I blame the drink )
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 13/01/2023 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    It's probably fair to say that I have beef wiht you on here. But it's because of how you conduct yourself in 'debate'. You cannot accept being challenged on here - even when you are patently wrong. There are multiple examples of this. The most blatant and frankly laughable being the time there were genuinely about half a dozen differet people all teling you you were talking nonesense about Leinster Senior League clubs, and yet you still refused to hold your hands up and just accept that you had got that wrong. We all get stuff wrong on here at times - that's life. Yet you appear uniquely incapable of ever admitting it, and choose to instead double or treble-down on being wrong, to the point of absurdity.
    I think you might file that one under "Note to Self".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    As 'Calcio Jack said...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Can you clarify what was 'offensive' about pointing out how Glentoran fans are in no position to critique other clubs for prioritising spending on players over stadium ?
    When I criticised clubs eg for spending money they didn't have to sign players they couldn't afford etc, I didn't exempt* my own club from such criticism, never mind deny or defend them for doing so.

Yet you, in your irresistable urge to have a pop at me, proceeded as though I had. So might I suggest that if you're going to troll someone, you could at least employ some imagination or originality? That way, you might have some hope of using the "banter" defence when called out on it.

* - For the record, I despaired at the way the clowns in the Boardroom were running the club back then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze14 View Post
    Be a sad day when ye move out of the Oval. An amazing stadium!
    True, except that there is little chance of the Glens ever actually moving out. There was talk of it a few years back when the Board reckoned that selling the site for redevelopment and moving elsewhere was their only hope of clearing their debt etc. This inspired a fans' campaign to "Rest in the East", and fortunately they held on until a new buyer came in, cleared the debts and stabilised things.

Mind you, he was blethering in the paper a few weeks back something about building a 34k seater, multi-sports venue on the North Foreshore (Belfast), which could also accommodate all sorts of events and concerts eg Commonwealth Games:
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...-42176737.html

We must assume he's sobered up since then and the plan remains to wait until the Stormont money finally materialises, to allow a rebuild on the present Oval site, to give us a modern, UEFA-compliant stadium holding maybe 8k:
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...-40204030.html

Of course it will be sad if/when the Old Girl is finally no more, but it has to happen if the club is to move forward. All of which reinforces my original point about the need for clubs to own their own ground.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Any of the UCD lads know when the 2023 season tickets will likely be out? Things seem quite relaxed, the club website is still 2022 squad, but I suppose that's because they haven't announced anyone yet.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Kerry stand sales looking somewhat more respectable now - presumably the airport also received an allocation with the sponsorship deal, but either way the middle blocks appear the healthiest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loifan_76 View Post
    Any of the UCD lads know when the 2023 season tickets will likely be out? Things seem quite relaxed, the club website is still 2022 squad, but I suppose that's because they haven't announced anyone yet.
    That's the same every year. Season ticket is usually available at the first game of the season at the ticket booth although I am pretty sure one year I had to wait a game or two before they even had a ST available to buy.

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Kerry stand sales looking somewhat more respectable now - presumably the airport also received an allocation with the sponsorship deal, but either way the middle blocks appear the healthiest.
    Some strange seat choices too. Given that the stand only covers One half of the pitch, you'd think the seats nearest the centre line would be the ones to go first

Season Tickets - Kerry FC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    The skeptic in me thinks that they purposely blacked out a few more seats to make it look better, as there were a hell of a lot more seats available only a few days ago when I looked last.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast