Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 25 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    The cidellas, umlauts and fadas have scared the bejaysus out of me already!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    It's quite a young team, with lots of key players around 21-3. Some of these guys could wind up at even bigger clubs in a few years.

Gianluigi Donnarumma is a 21 year old keeper with something like 200 senior appearances for Milan and 18 caps for Italy. He's not the heir to Buffon's throne, he's already ascended to it. His big brother is their backup keeper.

I don't know if they intend to play him or use him as backup, but Brahim Díaz is a talented forward who's played for Man City and Real Madrid (who've just loaned him to Milan). He hasn't had many competitive games yet, but he's still 21, and clubs of that magnitude must see something interesting in him.

Their captain is Romagnoli, an Italian centre half. Still only 25, he's played a bit for the national team, and presumably will play more if Chiellini retires before drawing his pension.

Çalhanoğlu is a Turkish winger with an eye for a goal.

Paquetá is a young Brazilian attacking mid, who has about a dozen caps for Brazil.

Kessié is an Ivorean centre mid.
    I think you are underselling Çalhanoğlu there. He has a very good career in the Bundesliga under his belt, 100+ league games for Hamburg and Leverkusen. I'm shocked to see how long he has been in Milan, over 100 games for them in Serie A already. He has an absolute hammer for a right foot, and is well known for his long distance free kicks.

Hes also got 48 caps for Turkey and hes only 26.

I'm also shocked that Donarumma is only 21, hes been around for ages, but that makes sense when I think baout it, he was only 16 when he made his debut.

Simon Kjaer is another name I'd single out. Hes probably past his best at this point or approaching it. 95 caps for Denmark, long career with medium/big clubs in Italy, Spain, France Germany and Turkey.
    Last edited by El-Pietro; 11/09/2020 at 9:25 AM.

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I think it’s wrong to portray Milan as a team on a downward curve. As mentioned previously that’s not a reflection of their recent significant and sustained improvement, they have been the form team in Italy for several months.

They are not the European powerhouse of the noughties but likewise neither are the likes Manchester Utd but there are very very few bigger clubs in the world (you might be able to just about use one hand to count them) and Milan are very much amongst the favourites to win the entire competition and will see it as an alternative route back to the Champions League given an improving and increasingly competitive Serie A.

It will be the miracle of all footballing miracles if Rovers even lay a glove on them and unfortunately given the circumstances de jure it is truely an awful draw in every way.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    We'll see how good donna summer is in the penos tho. I trust Super Al to do his thing, eventually.
    I'm gonna say 16/15 to Rovers on penos. I feel love.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Rovers home draw against AC Milan has a certain resemblance to LASK LInz' home draw vs Man United. Happened right at the start of lockdown. Their supposedly big money-spinning home draw plays out in an empty stadium, and they lose 5-0. Sadly, can't see anything different to that for Shamrock Rovers. I only hope Milan don't take them seriously at all, and somehow Rovers themselves play with freedom and shackles off, almost like a League 2 team in the FA CUP against a Premier League team. Sadly, that's quite unlikely, but it will still be a fascinating match to watch.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    If Rovers do happen to win on Thursday, it'll become the footballng equivalent of the GPO - with thousands claiming they were at the match years later

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    If Rovers do win on Thursday i will have to buy a new hat as i will have eaten the current one
    Happy but with indigestion....and a hangover

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    If Rovers win I will happily and without complaint, wear a Rover jersey to the next game between our 2 clubs when crowds are allowed back. Assuming I could find one to borrow of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    If Rovers win I will happily and without complaint, wear a Rover jersey to the next game between our 2 clubs when crowds are allowed back. Assuming I could find one to borrow of course.
    Ahem. Meet u at the Maldren with a nice ironed one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    U might buy me a hat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    U might buy me a hat
    Well at least it would be like a disguise!! I might have to borrow that new hat too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Interesting how this pans out, if Rovers win and there is a chance, slim still, but its one off, how will this rate in terms of LOI results in Europe.

Plenty of criteria to list, from biggest clubs, to more advanced rounds in Europe, plenty of examples too from Bohs 3-2 win over Rangers, to Cork drawing 1-1 to Bayern, Shels 3-2 v Hajduk, Shels 0-0 v Deportivo, Pats 0-0 away to Celtic, Rovers first to qualify for group stages, Dundalk first club to win an away euro tie (1963), Dundalk also first to win and draw in group stages, there has to be more and more.

For a 'scalp' this is up there for a right go but how will it compare?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It'd be bigger (in terms of comparative size of the opponent) than anything Rovers have achieved. Not sure how you'd weight that against the importance of the game: Milan are a much bigger team than Partizan but beating them wouldn't qualify us for anything.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Bigger then anything else

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Talk of Rovers league form and position meaning they can enjoy the game against Milan is interesting. A team with nothing to lose can be real banana skin and a free hit with only one match. I just hope that the game isnt lost on a complete LoI like howler.....gone a bit soft on Rovers of recent I think so a howler might be a bit funny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Realistic assessment would be anything other than a 4 or 5 goal defeat is unlikely.
    Milan finished the Italian league in form and are full of level 1 players. A trouncing for rovers with us on top of the league will play nicely with the anti loi set.
    Here is hoping we play at our best levels and keep it decent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Bigger then anything else
    Bigger than a win at the group stage of a euro competition? Don't get me wrong, if Rovers put Milan out - it will be rightly lauded as a massive result.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    If Rovers were to win, in my books it wouldn’t be as impressive as Athlone's 0-0 draw with AC Milan given that the gulf between those two sides at the time was much bigger than a good rovers side by LOI standards playing against a Milan side that have been very poor by their standards for years now and haven’t been in the champions league in 7 seasons

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Interesting how this pans out, if Rovers win and there is a chance, slim still, but its one off, how will this rate in terms of LOI results in Europe.

Plenty of criteria to list, from biggest clubs, to more advanced rounds in Europe, plenty of examples too from Bohs 3-2 win over Rangers, to Cork drawing 1-1 to Bayern, Shels 3-2 v Hajduk, Shels 0-0 v Deportivo, Pats 0-0 away to Celtic, Rovers first to qualify for group stages, Dundalk first club to win an away euro tie (1963), Dundalk also first to win and draw in group stages, there has to be more and more.

For a 'scalp' this is up there for a right go but how will it compare?
    Who'd win a fight between a shark and a tiger ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    If a shark and a tiger mate, would it be known as a Thark or a Shiger?

Page 25 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast