Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 3 tier league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Looking foward to a 12 team AIL Premiership in 2021 with a top 6 bottom 6 split.

I'm surprised MacKenna thinks its a good idea. He hates everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Looking foward to a 12 team AIL Premiership in 2021 with a top 6 bottom 6 split.

I'm surprised MacKenna thinks its a good idea. He hates everything.
    and the middle two play a cup final for 7th place ?

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    You also need to talk about competitiveness. How many of the NIFL teams would realistically challenge in the top half of a 12 team AIL after a few seasons? How many would wind up in the lower tier? A lot I'd say. Hardly makes it attractive to the north.

I maintain the only way an AIL happens is with political unification.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    You also need to talk about competitiveness. How many of the NIFL teams would realistically challenge in the top half of a 12 team AIL after a few seasons? How many would wind up in the lower tier? A lot I'd say. Hardly makes it attractive to the north.

I maintain the only way an AIL happens is with political unification.
    An All Ireland league is a long, long way off.That is part of its attraction as it can be sold as a panacea for all the ills of Irish football without really ever having to be tested. Qualification criteria and 'protected places' (guaranteed minimum number of clubs from each League) would need to be agreed both for start and a number of years. European places, Match days, refs, Junior/ intermediate Leagues would al be issues because the main problem would be that neither the IFA or the FAI would be willing to 'go away' and the two International teams.
    As the Setanta Cup (and the Tylers All Ireland Cup before that) showed an all Ireland league dimension is not the answer to all the problems, yes, it would be progress and yes it would be desirable but still a long way off. Too be honest I would nearly see political unity as easier to achieve !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Brexit done and dusted the AIL sponsored by Boris Johnson comes ever closer.
    To be known commercially as the BJ League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    He was widely derided on Oriel Web for his recent Dundalk/Peak 6 article. Many regard him as a sensationalist 'hot-take' journo who enjoys courting controversy.

He is the antonym for credibility compared to Daniel McDonnell
    I obviously didnt put enough sneer and in to this post on McKenna to show i had ironic intent!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Brexit done and dusted the AIL sponsored by Boris Johnson comes ever closer.
    To be known commercially as the BJ League
    Hmmmm, maybe a possible replacement for Honest John Delaney ? Ridiculous sense of own importance, staggers from one administrative disaster to the next, fond of ahem, stretching the truth, likes a jar and most relevantly (to the FAI) couldn't organise a **** up in a brewery (even with FAI credit card)

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    He was widely derided on Oriel Web for his recent Dundalk/Peak 6 article. Many regard him as a sensationalist 'hot-take' journo who enjoys courting controversy.

He is the antonym for credibility compared to Daniel McDonnell
    speaking about Daniel McDonnell he was involved with Oriel Web wasnt he? Was he involved with them for long before he made it as a journo.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    speaking about Daniel McDonnell he was involved with Oriel Web wasnt he? Was he involved with them for long before he made it as a journo.
    I'm not 100% on the details but he effectively set up Orielweb. Until recently (or possibly still now) you could find his own written reports from the 98-9 relegation season til about 2002. He was one of 2 main men behind the short lived but ever-improving HospitalPass website. Around that time he stepped away from OW as he started at the Star (I think) before moving to the Indo. Over twenty years ago some of that! That's about 6,000 years in internet years!

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    I'm not 100% on the details but he effectively set up Orielweb. Until recently (or possibly still now) you could find his own written reports from the 98-9 relegation season til about 2002. He was one of 2 main men behind the short lived but ever-improving HospitalPass website. Around that time he stepped away from OW as he started at the Star (I think) before moving to the Indo. Over twenty years ago some of that! That's about 6,000 years in internet years!
    yeah came across his name in match reports SeanD in the Star before he moved to the Indo so yeah your dead right!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    He saved me a whole heap of hassle asking my folks over a payphone from abroad to go to AERTEL P222 and read me out the results. Prior to that there was nothing online for Dundalk FC. He was about 15 or 16 in the early days travelling the long roads of Division 1 away days and writing up reports, chat forum came soon after iirc and is still often the contrary place today as it was in the days of relegation MkI. 'Fun' times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    He saved me a whole heap of hassle asking my folks over a payphone from abroad to go to AERTEL P222 and read me out the results. Prior to that there was nothing online for Dundalk FC. He was about 15 or 16 in the early days travelling the long roads of Division 1 away days and writing up reports, chat forum came soon after iirc and is still often the contrary place today as it was in the days of relegation MkI. 'Fun' times.
    Is DMcD gone off Dundalk altogether as anything I listen to him he seems very neutral when hes talking about Dundalk?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I think he is just being professional.
    Con Murphy is the same when commentating on rovers.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Is DMcD gone off Dundalk altogether as anything I listen to him he seems very neutral when hes talking about Dundalk?
    He is being pro about his job. Quietly he is a scarred by the past like the rest of us and is enjoying this era - with the same well voiced concerns also!

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    ….So, if the Government(or whomever) would just build an adequate stadium and develop a 'vision' (whatever the hell that is) Limerick, the third biggest city operating in LOI MIGHT be able to sustain a club. Wow, just wow.

I would be more interested to find out what the FAI are actually doing to promote an all Ireland League, or develop the league they currently have - other than say how its up to clubs, partners, Santa Claus to sort. Cliched platitudes of a 'ma's apple pie' view of what football could be is not going to move us forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    ….So, if the Government(or whomever) would just build an adequate stadium and develop a 'vision' (whatever the hell that is) Limerick, the third biggest city operating in LOI MIGHT be able to sustain a club. Wow, just wow.

I would be more interested to find out what the FAI are actually doing to promote an all Ireland League, or develop the league they currently have - other than say how its up to clubs, partners, Santa Claus to sort. Cliched platitudes of a 'ma's apple pie' view of what football could be is not going to move us forward.
    I think the key message to take from the interview in regards to the LOI going forward is his experienced view is that the clubs need to run the league themselves. However, before they do that they need to put firm structures in place in each club. Much of what he said reminded me of what was done with the the formation of the NIFL when the league in the North move away from the IFA. He certainly gave the impression, that while an AIL might be an asperation, he does not think all the clubs have the structure to operate in and to succeed in such a structure as things stand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    I think the key message to take from the interview in regards to the LOI going forward is his experienced view is that the clubs need to run the league themselves. However, before they do that they need to put firm structures in place in each club. Much of what he said reminded me of what was done with the the formation of the NIFL when the league in the North move away from the IFA. He certainly gave the impression, that while an AIL might be an asperation, he does not think all the clubs have the structure to operate in and to succeed in such a structure as things stand.
    I wouldn't disagree with the need for some clubs to 'get their house in order', in fact I would commend it, some of the shenanigans of recent years have been appalling, my problem is the FAI are currently responsible for improving the situation and have done little to improve matters and, in all honesty, added to the farce.

Either the FAI (and its spokesman) should accept they are incapable of doing the job and step back or, put in place a realistic business model to develop the league. platitudes about 'visions', new stadia etc are embarrassing unless in some context where they might actually occur.
    Last edited by marinobohs; 22/10/2019 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    I wouldn't disagree with the need for some clubs to 'get their house in order', in fact I would commend it, some of the shenanigans of recent years have been appalling, my problem is the FAI are currently responsible for improving the situation and have done little to improve matters and, in all honesty, added to the farce.

Either the FAI (and its spokesman) should accept they are incapable of doing the job and step back or, put in place a realistic business model to develop the league. platitudes about 'visions', new stadia etc are embarrassing unless in some context where they might actually occur.
    Clubs shouldn't be waiting on the FAI. Their have a wide portfolio of responsibilities and so will never provide the focus on the league that many want. That was very clear from Noel Mooney's interview. Clubs should not be waiting on others. They have the ability to take matters into their own hands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    A tweet this morning from the Chairman of Cliftonville.

"@GerardLawlorCFC: Lots of media & PR around an All Ireland league, I find the current proposals lack substance and are unrealistic, some of our southern clubs joining @OfficialNIFL could be a way forward, we in the north have a very progressive league and we should be weary of tampering with it."

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast