Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 FIFA World Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts

2022 FIFA World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    You don't really care if we qualify or not, yet not qualifying would be heartbreaking, but a broken heart that you could accept........ in some context?
    The whole Qatar thing sullies my interest in qualifying for WC2022. But progress in any form is the priority. I would have assumed your imperious intellect would have cottoned onto the sentiment that I was attempting to convey.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think you've mis-read the bauld Bonnie - he doesn't say "not qualifying would be heartbreaking". He does say that even a Henry handball play-off extra-time defeat would, in the bigger picture, be a sign of progress and overall a good outcome from the group.

(Is my reading of the post anyway)
    Even Stu's UCD education was no barrier to him understanding the post and its sentiment.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 12/12/2020 at 10:26 PM.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    The whole Qatar thing sullies my interest in qualifying for WC2022. But progress in any form is the priority. I would have assumed your imperious intellect would have cottoned onto the sentiment that I was attempting to convey.

Even Stu's UCD education was no barrier to him understanding the post and its sentiment.
    Not even Stu could bail you out with a creative flight of fancy.

Qatar is a dream location for a football tournament in winter. What makes Qatar any more corrupt than what went with the organisation of the WC in South Africa and Brazil, amid the bowels of poverty and inequality? All much of a muchness with bribery and construction worker exploitation, but I'd argue SA and Brazil come out much worse in other areas.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Wow! Some... interesting views there.

Even if Qatar is your dream location for a winter World Cup, why does the 2022 have to be played in the wintertime at all? Most would have that as a bad idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    “Winter” is a relative term. This is the World Cup, not the Euro-Centric Soccer Invitational. If we play tournaments only in the Northern Hemisphere’s winter it is discriminatory against some parts of the world which would never be able to host the World Cup because the environment is intolerable during Europe’s summer.

I don’t like the fact Qatar was awarded the tournament for political/moral reasons but on principle any country in the world should be able to host the World Cup, and if its climate means it will be non-viable in a European summer, then European winter-based leagues will have to adjust.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    All much of a muchness with bribery and construction worker exploitation, but I'd argue SA and Brazil come out much worse in other areas.
    All the major human rights organisations would disagree with your thoughts there.

Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Even if Qatar is your dream location for a winter World Cup, why does the 2022 have to be played in the wintertime at all? Most would have that as a bad idea.
    They got the tournament by saying it would be a summer tournament and the stadiums would have air conditioned eco systems within and around the stadium. Then within days of being awarded the tournament, there were already murmurs from within UEFA and FIFA that it would have to be moved to a winter tournament “to protect fans”. I think Platini was the first to mention it, long before we knew the extent to which Platini was in bed with Qataris.

UEFA and FIFA are just a combined cesspit of corruption and greed. When John Delaney is one of the more honest men in the room, you’re really struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    “Winter” is a relative term. This is the World Cup, not the Euro-Centric Soccer Invitational. If we play tournaments only in the Northern Hemisphere’s winter it is discriminatory against some parts of the world which would never be able to host the World Cup because the environment is intolerable during Europe’s summer.

I don’t like the fact Qatar was awarded the tournament for political/moral reasons but on principle any country in the world should be able to host the World Cup, and if its climate means it will be non-viable in a European summer, then European winter-based leagues will have to adjust.
    The World Cup has been held in Europe, South America, North America, Asia and Africa during May-July. The Copa America, Gold Cup, African Cup of Nations are held during our summer. The Asia cup has been held in our summer, autumn and winter and the next one will be held in China in June 2023.

European winter-based leagues will have to adjust.
    I don’t think it’s just Europe. For every Brazil, there’s an Argentina.

but on principle any country in the world should be able to host the World Cup
    Kinda... but there’s all sorts of factors that would make Germany a more suitable host than Ireland or Qatar (which is just a little bigger than Cork. Climate can be one factor. I think given Ireland is an island, given its size, the dispersal of the population - I’d accept that I’ll never see us host a World Cup during my life time.

Imagine building 8 stadia within Cork and Kerry (larger than Qatar). You’ve got to look at the safety of fans, the existing infrastructure of the country, the legacy of the World Cup, the size of the country, the human rights record of the country and how the stadia will be built. There’s a small minority of countries in the world who are either too hot in the northern hemisphere during May, June, July and August or in the Southern Hemisphere too cold during those months. If you believed that there was a country that was ideal in every way, except climate, I could see a reason for a World Cup, but the fact it’s in winter should be a factor in the proposal and voting process.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Thought it would be interesting to note, I watched the qualifier between Qatar and Bangladesh a few weeks ago (AFC qualifying doubles as qualifying for the AFC Cup, hence Qatar's involvement). 20% capacity in the Doha stadium, and the place only ever got loud whenever Bangladesh was on the ball: it seemed like most of those present were from the 400'000 estimated Bangladeshis resident in Qatar. I'm sure they will pack them out with Qataris in 2022, but the appetite doesn't appear to be there for every game from the citizen locals.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Was a similar story for the major athletics event they hosted - was it last year? Place was empty except for one day when I think they just rounded people up and told them to attend (for free)

It could be a disaster of a World Cup if international fans either boycott or find it's too hard to get to/too awkward to get to/too restrictive in terms of alcohol.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Free Beer ~ ~ Then it would not be illegal to buy it !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Was a similar story for the major athletics event they hosted - was it last year? Place was empty except for one day when I think they just rounded people up and told them to attend (for free)

It could be a disaster of a World Cup if international fans either boycott or find it's too hard to get to/too awkward to get to/too restrictive in terms of alcohol.
    There's been various shades of boycott talk since it was awarded to Qatar, but would fans really stay away? Obviously some would/will, but given the usual demand for tickets - notwithstanding the smaller nations that always struggle to fill their allocation - it would take a lot for such a boycott to have an impact. And they could always pack the stadiums with free ticketholders and eat the cost. They can afford to.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    it seemed like most of those present were from the 400'000 estimated Bangladeshis resident in Qatar. I'm sure they will pack them out with Qataris in 2022, but the appetite doesn't appear to be there for every game from the citizen locals.
    Aren't there only 327,000 Qataris living in Qatar?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Yep - 12% of the population is Qatari. There are more Nepalese in Qatar than Qatari. Also, the population is 75% male. The population 120 years ago was under 10,000, and 20 years ago it was 600,000; now it's 2,800,000. (All lifted from wiki)

Weird country. You wonder what makes it Qatari at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Yep - 12% of the population is Qatari. There are more Nepalese in Qatar than Qatari. Also, the population is 75% male. The population 120 years ago was under 10,000, and 20 years ago it was 600,000; now it's 2,800,000. (All lifted from wiki)

I am reminded of the definition of a language as a dialect with a navy.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Oil , Money !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Free Beer ~ ~ Then it would not be illegal to buy it !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Sorry, I am just getting a ? in a blue box in a white box from your post ~ ~ My computer is not reading it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Sorry, I am just getting a ? in a blue box in a white box from your post ~ ~ My computer is not reading it.
    Tbf, you're not missing much.

Try clicking on this: https://img.memecdn.com/free-beer_o_1555101.webp

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Tbf, you're not missing much.

Try clicking on this: https://img.memecdn.com/free-beer_o_1555101.webp
    That is more spilt beer ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post

The World Cup has been held in Europe, South America, North America, Asia and Africa during May-July. The Copa America, Gold Cup, African Cup of Nations are held during our summer. The Asia cup has been held in our summer, autumn and winter and the next one will be held in China in June 2023.

In fairness, AFCON is usually held in January. The 2019 event was the first one ever held during the Northern Hemisphere summer. 2021 AFCON is due to be held again Jan-Feb 2022.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    The road to Qatar is back on in CONCACAF and Asia so. St Lucia have withdrawn for reasons that aren't clear yet, but may be covid related. Three LoI connections were Sonni Nattestad, who gave the Faroes the lead in Austria, Raivis Jurkovskis, who played for Latvia as they lost to Holland and Montenegro, and Kaleem Simon, ex UCD, Bohs, Longford and Wexford, who came on as a sub after 20 minutes for his international debut for Montserrat last night; they scored a last-minute equaliser to take a highly unexpected point off El Salvador.

The South American matches were all postponed for covid, and in Africa it's African Cup of Nations qualifying, with Rovers' Roberto Lopes playing as Cape Verde beat Cameroon 3-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Biggest mismatch of qualifying so far played out today, Japan beating Mongolia 14-0.

The St Lucia thing is odd. Nobody told the players and the government is calling bull**** on the FA's claims they were denied permission to train.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast