Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Scully (F Portsmouth b.1999)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts

Anthony Scully (F Portsmouth b.1999)

Didn't find a thread for Scully - in the excitement about Idah breaking his league duck, it's worth noting that, one level down, Scully became the first Irish scorer in the English league this season, nabbing the opener in Lincoln's 2-0 win over Oxford United, which brings his tally from the start of his senior league career to three goals in six games: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54038014

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Great to see another one on the production line coming through. Sounds like a high pressing forward by the “terrier” references below and obviously has an eye for goal. Him and Connolly sound similar, which could be interesting haranguing future defences.

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/t...united.108085/

Astounded by the inclusion of Roughan at such a young age, especially at that level. Sounds like he acquitted himself well after being targeted by some heavy challenges early on (as you’d expect), but got up the line well with some good deliveries into the box. Seems like a nice kid as well:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=82oHJzduJqc

Most encouraging thing is that the young kids are actively taking the Dara O’Shea route and looking to build the character toughening experience early rather than cosset themselves in the U23s which looks to have been to the detriment of Masterson and potentially Kelleher.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    RE Roughan: I remember there being a newspaper story a few years ago of Lincoln looking to hire a Gaelige teacher, in the hope it would give them an advantage in helping to attract Irish kids across

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    RE Roughan: I remember there being a newspaper story a few years ago of Lincoln looking to hire a Gaelige teacher, in the hope it would give them an advantage in helping to attract Irish kids across
    The Irish used to Pick a Lot of Potatoes in Lincoln if that would have been in any way helpful ! !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Yes the Irish teacher thing was specifically for Roughan, Lincoln were desperate to sign him but his mum would only let him go over at 16 if he took his Leaving Cert through the club. It was no problem getting tutors for the other subjects but Irish was obviously an issue so they put an advert out. Ended up hiring the wife of an Irish professional rugby coach who was an ex teacher and managed to sign Roughan as a result - and he's now in the first team. He will presumably be sitting the leaving cert next summer.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Has just scored in the league cup away to Bradford.

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Knows where the goal is to be fair to him, he was banging them in for West Ham under 23s last year and has continued to score regularly since moving up to men's football. Well worth a look at under 21 level with Connolly and Idah stepping up to the seniors.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Lincoln got overrun by Liverpool tonight and Scully had limited opportunities, but did pretty well in the second half, setting up one goal and almost setting up another - got in behind the Liverpool defense once and managed to turn the ball on goal, only for Adrian to smother his effort. Looks promising and could very well be a Championship player in the next couple of years

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Opened the scoring today in a 4-0 win over Northampton Town, his second league goal of the season and his seventh overall in 22 appearances: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55284012

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Second in two games for Scully today, as well as being credited with an assist - Lincoln now top of League One: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55373542
    With Idah and Parrott yet to really cement their first-team places, and with Afolabi and Kayode playing at levels below him, could there be a case for a senior call-up for Scully in the Spring?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    As busy as always today, and scored the equalizer in Lincoln’s 1-1 draw against Jack Taylor’s Peterborough. Missed a gilt edged opportunity close to the end as well though. Still no Elbouzedi from the bench, even though I think he would have ran Peterborough ragged as they were down to 10 men. Young Sean Roughan also back on the bench.

Lincoln do play very tidy football and are good value for their top position in league one

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    My first time watching Scully for a full match. Great movement, always seems to be open in dangerous positions. Never afraid to take a shot. Scored a poacher’s goal generated from a corner, caused a penalty which a teammate missed. Also generated a number of corners from shots blocked by defenders. Could have and possibly should have scored another one or two. Clever player. Will be monitoring.

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    My first time watching Scully for a full match. Great movement, always seems to be open in dangerous positions. Never afraid to take a shot. Scored a poacher’s goal generated from a corner, caused a penalty which a teammate missed. Also generated a number of corners from shots blocked by defenders. Could have and possibly should have scored another one or two. Clever player. Will be monitoring.
    Amazing last 16 months for this lad. August 19 started season as sub for west ham 23s after 2 or 3 years with minimal football because of injuries. Had 4 months of great scoring at 23s level then took his chance to move to Lincoln this time last year when it must have been tempting to hang on at west ham and hope that he might get some first team action. He signed an 18 month contract last Jan so he is a free agent in summer hopefully he can get a bigger paying longer deal somewhere on the back of his time so far at Lincoln. Football can be funny , at the same time he was a sub for west ham's 23s Simon power was been linked to Borussia Dortmund.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    He's one of the few prospects that the fans who watch him week in and week out, rate higher than the posters seem to on here and that means some hype is possibly justified:

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/t...scully.110922/

IMO most of our other prospects have underwhelmed so far this season. Collins and Scully seem to be the ones most likely at present that could push on to greater things in the near future.
    Last edited by youngirish; 10/01/2021 at 12:55 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I was impressed by him. Looks like he was born to play in and around the penalty box.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I was impressed by him. Looks like he was born to play in and around the penalty box.
    It's interesting isn't it cause underage he was an attacking midfielder and he only went up front for west ham 23s because they had a striker shortage and they needed someone to play there I remember reading the match reports of their 23s at the time around Sept 2019. Nice to discover your a fox in the box at 20 years old and hopefully still have those skills as an attacking midfielder that hot you to a professional level

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Stephen Ward joined Wolves as a striker and went in at LB to fill a gap if i recall correctly
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Unfortunately he was a donkey. In hindsight he should have stayed as a striker to see how he developed in that role instead.
    I’d say he has a tidy bank balance. Hee Haw Hee Haw Hee Haw !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Unfortunately he was a donkey. In hindsight he should have stayed as a striker to see how he developed in that role instead.
    I wouldn't mind being a millionaire donkey with 50 caps for my country and nearly 200 appearances in one of the biggest leagues in world football.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Please, in a world of almost relentless gloom and negativity and bickering can the above kind of talk be banished from here.

Please. I don't remember this kind of vitriol ever, and I hope everyone is doing ok, in the circumstances and, please again, I don't come here to read nasty things. I can hardly believe I'm even typing that here.

29. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast