Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Weekend games Thursday 19th to Monday 23rd May

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Seeing what Harps managed to throw away yesterday actually made me thankful that Galway are first division. Obviously you want to be playing in the division which actually matters but there is something to be said for watching you team win most weeks.

Would have to worry for Harps after those last 2 results. But it does seem like UCD won't be able to pick up enough points and Harps will be eyeing up the play off from months out.

Galway have won 12 of their first 15 games and have only now been able to go top of the table. Incredible consistency from the top 2 in the first division. Hopefully the game matches the occasion next week in Galway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    https://mobile.twitter.com/FinnHarps...83394767896576

Shame to see Ethan Boyle racially abused in Drogheda last night,empty heads everywhere unfortunately…..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/FinnHarps...83394767896576

Shame to see Ethan Boyle racially abused in Drogheda last night,empty heads everywhere unfortunately…..
    Yup, not on at all. Person removed from the ground and banned apparently.
    https://twitter.com/DroghedaUnited/s...XAzOCAi_Q&s=19

First time I've heard of a racist incident at a Drogheda game, but not the first anti social (for want of a better term) incident this year. Hopefully the club and the fans as a group nip this stuff in the bud before it becomes part and parcel of match night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Acting swiftly, no excuses, no messing about, no finger pointing - Job well done by Drogheda. It's also testament to the anti-racist efforts across the league that such incidents are very rare now and that there is disgust across the board on any such incident.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    An own goal as bad or worse than the howler of an og earlier in the season for Longford has Waterford 1-0 up
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Brilliant win last night for Dundalk last night at a bonkers Brandywell.
    Some goal from Bob and with Hoban then getting on the score sheet with 10 to go it felt like old days.
    O'Donnell has brought some nuggets to the club so far,John Martin,Paul Doyle and Nathan Sheppard have have all been brilliant since coming in.Few more i should mention but no time rn.
    Great to see O'Donnell and a few more Dundalk heads boiling the pish of the BW faithful after Hoban scored

Btw
    Rob Harvey is the new Anthony Buttimer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    An own goal as bad or worse than the howler of an og earlier in the season for Longford has Waterford 1-0 up
    Peter Enckelman springs to mind with that one!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Waterford back in the race for automatic promotion anyway,seem to have turned things around…good win for them tonight …

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Waterford back in the race for automatic promotion anyway,seem to have turned things around…good win for them tonight …
    Although it wouldn’t of take much to better aimless long balls to the opposite keepers. We’ve really uppered our game and performance levels. 5 wins on the bounce now. Two really tough games coming up which will dictate whether we’ll be in the race for automatic promotion or a play off place. It’ll be interesting to see if we’ll make the temporary management team permanent or will we still bring someone else in.
    Last edited by sulywaterfordfc; 21/05/2022 at 11:23 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    I wonder if that game tonight will become famous for other reasons?
    What's the story here Kiki?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Effective from Dundalk, good retention of the ball in tight situations, went long when needed and slowed things up when Derry getting on top. Unmarked header for the equaliser was down point. Didnt see that result coming and surprised at Derry as they didnt play with the intensity you'd expect.
    Dundalk were great, best performance of an away side at the Brandy this season.
    We didn't play particularly well, or with our usual intensity, but I reckon a lot of that is down to Dundalk's management of the game. We weren't allowed to play it our way.

Cracking goal by Benson for the first, even if we allowed him more space than I'd have liked. From then until our goal, we had a few chances, but nothing really clear cut. Dundalk had the middle of the park sown up, and we didn't go wide early enough.

Noticed that after we scored, Dundalk didn't attempt to time-waste or slow things down. Commented at the time that they were looking to win the game. Mistake from Kavanagh gave Hoban the goal, but most other teams wouldn't have been pressing us at that stage of the game.

Of course, could nearly have got a last minute equaliser from Patching's free kick, but we wouldn't have deserved it.

That's a poor run we're on now. Lots to work on before Sligo tomorrow.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Drinks went well and the scores coming in helped to turn it into a very good night indeed.
    7 points clear is a great lead, cant believe the Derry team who turned up in Tallaght have 9 points from last 8 games.
    Dundalk confuse me they looked dreadful in Tallaght and i have no idea how they draw with UCD from 2 nil up... but if they win their game in hand they are a point off second. ..SOD doing a great job based on points.
    IF Derry are in the title race then so are Dundalk so the truce is over i hate you lot again
    Bohs beating Sligo was also good as it keeps the Long/Lambert duo in place for longer, think about the bees.
    We sure were that night, made no attempt to win it Benson was injured, think Connolly suspended, Hoban and McMillan didn't start but still a dreadful display, that said Dundalk should have beaten Rovers at home 0-0 game, Hoban missed what looked like a certain goal in 93rd min.

Anyway for this season def going better than expected, 3rd and on merit, long way to go and FH away always tricky, but our position there looks safe at the minute, as we have taken 13 points from the last 15 on offer. Pats are in poor form and 3 points behind with a game more played, Bohs are hot and cold and Sligo on the slip and manager gone.

I started off this season having realistic hopes of 4th, I think I'd be disappointed now if its less than 3rd, coming second would be almost like winning the league given what happened in half of 2020 and most of 2021, but I am still sticking to my view of qualifying for europe by any method is a fantastic recovery and achievement for Dundalk.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    We didn't play particularly well, or with our usual intensity, but I reckon a lot of that is down to Dundalk's management of the game. We weren't allowed to play it our way.

Cracking goal by Benson for the first, even if we allowed him more space than I'd have liked. From then until our goal, we had a few chances, but nothing really clear cut. Dundalk had the middle of the park sown up, and we didn't go wide early enough.

Noticed that after we scored, Dundalk didn't attempt to time-waste or slow things down. Commented at the time that they were looking to win the game. Mistake from Kavanagh gave Hoban the goal, but most other teams wouldn't have been pressing us at that stage of the game.

Of course, could nearly have got a last minute equaliser from Patching's free kick, but we wouldn't have deserved it.

Fair play for that post BE, decent of you. I didn't make this game was but good few of us stayed over in Derry twice in 2019, a League game and LC Final, love the wee bars on the way to the ground, great craic there with the locals (is one called Mary B?) and in the city later that night, the Bentley Bar was excellent for food and drink late afternoon in the city. Hope the curry chips at the ground still to that excellent standard**, they were a welcome addition on a freezing night, think it was for the league game, March 2019.

**Come to think of it Cork City curry chips another worth of mention - very footy scran this, that twitter feed.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    We were shocking bad last nite. No game plan no nothing.We have a very weak bench too. Think that GC is completely the wrong person to have in charge I didnt hear him animated on the bench once. Think a long spell in the first division rebuilding awaits us. Aodh Dervin a huge loss to us in midfield. We have no leaders on the pitch at all. Fair play to Waterford they were by far the better side.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    We were shocking bad last nite. No game plan no nothing.We have a very weak bench too. Think that GC is completely the wrong person to have in charge I didnt hear him animated on the bench once. Think a long spell in the first division rebuilding awaits us. Aodh Dervin a huge loss to us in midfield. We have no leaders on the pitch at all. Fair play to Waterford they were by far the better side.
    Being realistic Longfords target going into the season would have been a play off place. Longford sit 4th with a 9 point lead on 6th. If anything Longford are probably doing better then what was expected in preseason. It would be incredible harsh to sack the manager. What benefit would it be to Longford? They’ll probably achieve the play offs and go into the play offs as underdogs, which is exactly what the current manager is on the road to doing.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Animation on the sideline is no indication of a good manager either. There's probably a thread in taking a trip down memory lane focussing on the rogues gallery of loud incompetents who have somehow found their way into various dugouts over the years.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Martin Russell was great like that. No histrionics ever; he'd just quietly tell the linesman he was wrong and he might give us the next call, and make a few constructive comments to players on the pitch. Nothing much more than that really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post

I actually thought that they would have problems getting back into a pattern of play after being so negative for the previous hour. If Dundalk had've went for a 2nd at any stage before we equalised I believe they would have run riot.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Just seen our starting XI. Bohs will win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Just seen our starting XI. Bohs will win.
    Maybe youse should just play Tunde more😀!!

23. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast