Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Drogheda thread - budget being revised

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    If this is true, at what stage does Hoey get lynched?
    Word up in Drogheda is that this is nonsense.
    Tonights meeting is about volunteers for the coming season and was organised a while ago. Vincent Hoey supposedly cleared the Drogs tax bill a while ago. I didn't think the revenue told journalists who they were coming after.
    Mind you FS Drogheda Ltd is facing a winding up order. They are a hairdresser in the town. Now a journalist couldn't be mistaken could they???
    Notice here

Ah I'm sure time will tell.
    Hunky Dorys Park - could be worse, we could be going to Old Trafford every other week

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    If this is true, at what stage does Hoey get lynched?
    He'll be made Life President before they blame him for anything.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    He'll be made Life President before they blame him for anything.
    He already is Life President and has been for may years.
    Don't criticise a man whom you know nothing about, nor have you any concept as to what he has done for football in Drogheda. Vincent Hoey has saved the club countless times over the last 40 years.
    Same to you Stu ....
    Hunky Dorys Park - could be worse, we could be going to Old Trafford every other week

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    No, I think I'll criticise him if it's all the same to you. You can do great work for a club and still deserve criticism for nearly killing it, like Ollie Byrne.

Fair point on the meeting tonight being already arranged though. Although newspapers - even tabloids - don't make stuff up about the LoI for the hell of it. Still think there's no smoke without fire, but sure we'll see what happens. The implication on the Drogs forum is that the amount has been paid, which again implies it was owing and is at odds with the whole story being made up.

Article from the Drogs forum -

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Mail
    Drogheda United have until Friday to settle and outstanding tax bill or risk facing a winding-up order. The 2007 LOI champions, who only came out of examinership 15 months ago, have already paid half of a 5 figure sum owed to the revenue. Drogheda are the latest club to come onto the taxman's radar, following Galway and Cork. Without an up-to-date tax clearace cert, clubs won't get a premier division licence for 2010.

The FAI have been critical of Cork City's arrears and it remains to be seen how thy deal with the plight of drigheda, who are tenants on FAI property, United Park, a ground that does not meet Premier Division standard. With on-going doubts over Cork City's ability to clear their tax liabilities, it is understood that FORAS, comprised of Cork City supporters, have been given approval for a licence to play in the First Division next season.

And Sligo Rovers, who finished 6th last season, have been put on standby to fill a possible vacancy in the Europa League. Meanwhile, Bohs must re-submit their budget for the new season after the FAI rejected their proposal yesterday. A club source said last night that there was nothing unmanageable in the changes that were required for the champions but as things stand, Bohs can't register their signing for the new season.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 20/01/2010 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Celdrog View Post
    He already is Life President and has been for may years.
    Don't criticise a man whom you know nothing about, nor have you any concept as to what he has done for football in Drogheda. Vincent Hoey has saved the club countless times over the last 40 years.
    Same to you Stu ....
    Have to agree with this,i worked in Drogheda for many years and its well known he has dipped deep into his own pockets on many occasions to help the Drogs...slate oters but i know for sure that you would be hard pressed to find a man who loves Drogheda United as much as this guy.
    Only another 9 titles till Drogheda become pride of county louth!!!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    It's all well and good putting your hand in your pocket to help the club, but the question must be asked as to why this is necessary so often?

Above all, how can the club have ended up with a substantial revenue debt so soon after examinership, and despite a decent season on the field?
    Last edited by Mr A; 20/01/2010 at 12:53 PM.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    .......The FAI have been critical of Cork City's arrears and it remains to be seen how thy deal with the plight of drigheda, who are tenants on FAI property, United Park, a ground that does not meet Premier Division standard.

Did the FAI ever carry out the requiired improvements to their ground, on which premise they gave Drogs a Prem Div licence last season?
    A transient, horrible, fantastic dream,
    Wherein is nothing yet all things do seem:
    From which we're wakened by a friendly nudge
    Of our bedfellow Death, and cry: "O fudge!"

Ambrose Bierce

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buile Shuibhne View Post
    Did the FAI ever carry out the requiired improvements to their ground, on which premise they gave Drogs a Prem Div licence last season?
    Planning permission for 1100 seats had been lodged (poss. granted by now not sure). They basically award themselves a license so the ground isn't an obstacle from the clubs point of view.

Must apologise for my misunderstanding about the meeting. I jumped to a conclusion there.
    Last edited by chatterbox; 20/01/2010 at 11:38 AM.
    Jamie Duffy covers more ground than Roadrunner ever did

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buile Shuibhne View Post
    Wasn't the licence being awarded on the grounds that planning permission for improvements had been applied for - planning permission which has been turned down?

Or am I mistaken?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Don't think PP has been turned down?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Isn't there something going on whereby the FAI are using the planned improvements as a way to allow United Park to be used in the premier when everybody knows the improvements won't happen?

Or am I just wrong and confusing the situation with something else?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Yes, it is from the outside, but I'd share the view that it's amazing he was let back near the club after the whole debacle that lead to examinership. If there is another winding up order, and he still escapes criticism, then the pope must be jealous of his infallibility.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shep View Post
    They trumped our wage offer(though that wouldnt be hard according to reports) for Michael Daly recently by offering 600 per week part time.If this is true then is it any wonder they are in trouble?? Also whatever Sean Connolly goes near seems to end in disaster so was his departure the sign that all was not well.
    They also trumped Pats' offers for Harris, Kenna and McNally yet Pat's wage bill for this season is still about 25% larger than what Drogheda's wage bill was last season.

Definitely something odd going on up at United Park and this possible winding-up order is not a shock for me.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Decision due this Saturday
    For this season its irrelevant what the decision is. It will be appealed if turned down and the licence will be awarded. If its approved the licence will be awarded.
    Who knows if they will do any improvements? Nobody in Drogheda for sure.

If the ground isn't up to scratch by November we should be relegated (probably should have been 2 years ago).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    It's all well and good putting your hand in you pocket to help the club, but the question must be asked as to why this is necessary so often?

Above all, how can the club have ended up with a substantial revenue debt so soon after examinership, and despite a decent season on the field?
    I kind of agree and disagree at once. The man is a genuine character and totally committed (in every sense) to his club. However to plough so much money into the club and still end up wobbling can be put down to poor management. Maybe, as was mentioned already, he is too much in the mould of Ollie who just couldn't let go of all the reins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    I didn't think the revenue told journalists who they were coming after.
    I think you are bang on, Revenue would never comment on individual cases, so not sure the story holds too much water, unless the journo has a pal in Revenue who leaked him info
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Yes, it is from the outside, but I'd share the view that it's amazing he was let back near the club after the whole debacle that lead to examinership. If there is another winding up order, and he still escapes criticism, then the pope must be jealous of his infallibility.
    Bullsh*t about Hoey escaping criticism from Drogs. Hes got plenty.
    This whole story would appear to be bullsh*t as well
    Dundalk 1 - "the worst team to ever play in the premier" 2 :D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Just when I though most clubs were starting to get their stuff together sigh...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    I think you are bang on, Revenue would never comment on individual cases, so not sure the story holds too much water, unless the journo has a pal in Revenue who leaked him info
    dont know how it works in the south, but if ye do that in the north its considered a breach of the official secrets act, which is a pretty big stick to beat a leaker with. i'd imagine that youse have similar legislation at work, although they'd probably just charge ye under the offences against the state act.

very odd with the timing though. story comes out, and the bill's apparently already paid. are there any other independent sourcrs, or is it all feeding off the back of that paragon of journalistic integrity, the daily mail?
    i believe in one man, one vote. i should be that one man with that one vote.

ALWAYS ON TOUR!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    They also trumped Pats' offers for Harris, Kenna and McNally
    Are you sure about all that? I would be surprised if Kenna/McNally left for Pats tbf even on better terms. As for Harris, I would struggle to believe that Harris left Pats for a club he was very clear that he didn't want to join a few years ago.
    Last edited by chatterbox; 20/01/2010 at 1:18 PM.
    Jamie Duffy covers more ground than Roadrunner ever did

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast