Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 61 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 2368

Thread: Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post

What stats sites though, is what I'm asking. Stats sites are just estimates with dubious legitimacy.
    This one, OK it's from FIFA 13 but here is no reason to believe it is not as valid as any other stat site
    indeed it might be more valid. Not sure how it is compiled but it has a lot of detailed stats and I am sure if they
    were significantly wrong a lot of the players would complain.

http://www.futhead.com/fifa/nations/irelandrepublic/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Could have sworn I clicked on the Seamus Coleman thread..
    SkStu seems to have mentioned him first the Yard_of_pace and it seems to have snowballed from there!!!

But I have never been too keen on having just player threads myself because people tend to discuss thing in context, in
    this case the Everton team. But try telling that to the mods

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    it wasnt me. It was Noelys Guitar and it snowballed from there.

http://foot.ie/threads/111276-Seamus...=1#post1670504

I didnt get involved until 10 posts later.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    I'm fond of the term 'quarterback' for players like Gibson, and I believe it's the type of player he aspires to (if he's not already in that mould).

The type of player who dictates the point of attack, can spot weaknesses in the option from the relative distance of their own third or half and, crucially, speed up or slow down the tempo depending on what's required using quickfire decision making and great passing technique to exploit holes in the opposition.

Even Gibson in his more maligned appearances in a green shirt demanded the ball short (often from the full-back or keeper) and looked to play the ball out from deep. Likewise under Everton he demands possession and looks to probe forward more often than not. It clearly makes a difference to Everton's creative tempo.

I don't think it's right to say he's simply playing crab passes - a player like Neil Lennon was great at retaining possession but he did nothing going forward. Gibson makes a difference to Everton's attacking play because he has the ability to quickly change the point of attack, like a fly-half seeking space in behind or out wide with a quick grubber or flat pass.

Not saying Gibson's there yet, a better example would be Alonso or Pirlo who's a master of this type - just arguing that's how he looks to play.

He'd be 'creative' in my thinking, though he's certainly ain't a Sneijder or Mata. Having said that I'd argue Gibson did show some of that kind of creativity when he got a run at Utd further forward although not on a consistent basis.
    Id agree with you on most of this, in their respective codes fly halves and quarter backs, especially the latter, are seen as the creative spark. You finished by saying "creative", which I would also agree with, but that kinda puts him in the creative midfielder camp which CD believes not to be correct.

I would certainly see Gibson as a creative player, passive-aggressive type, rather than an out and out creative flair type.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    it wasnt me. It was Noelys Guitar and it snowballed from there.

http://foot.ie/threads/111276-Seamus...=1#post1670504

I didn't get involved until 10 posts later.
    Actually the rot set in a lot earlier than that.

http://foot.ie/search.php?searchid=2555195

It seems co. down green mentioned him as early as post #73 in 2009

http://foot.ie/threads/111276-Seamus...=1#post1287152

And note the post before that from BradyIsMyHero

Seamie Coleman was superb for Everton v AEK Athens

definitely the next Ireland right full
    It's interesting reading the thread form the start, even then the consensus was he had a bright future.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    It's interesting reading the thread form the start, even then the consensus was he had a bright future.
    It's a consensus, if you include that he has a charmed life as part of that bright future, with his ability to get away with (supposed) blatant blue murder in the penalty box.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Holding midfielder - whatever that is.

I don't think the term "creative" is that inappropriate for Gibson. He's not a Modric type player or even a Hoolahan, but he is a player who passes the ball elegantly and with good vision in all areas of the pitch. Whereas the type of player I suspect CD calls creative is a player who excels in the final third, I think Gibson is probably more at home in his own defensive third and central third. That doesn't consign him to that accursed definition "holding midfielder" though, in my opinion.

McCarthy was very much in the box-to-box mould in yesterday's game
    A holding midfielder is a midfielder who holds his position, it's in the name. It means he only ever moves with play and is rarely if ever ahead of the ball. That is an accurate summation of Gibson's style of play, in my opinion. Disagree on McCarthy too, he made a conscious effort to stay behind the play with the exception of a couple of notable runs. I don't think it's a slight on either's ability - they're both very effective and vital to their teams.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    This one, OK it's from FIFA 13 but here is no reason to believe it is not as valid as any other stat site
    indeed it might be more valid. Not sure how it is compiled but it has a lot of detailed stats and I am sure if they
    were significantly wrong a lot of the players would complain.

http://www.futhead.com/fifa/nations/irelandrepublic/
    Why not just use your own judgement?
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    It's a consensus, if you include that he has a charmed life as part of that bright future, with his ability to get away with (supposed) blatant blue murder in the penalty box.
    The golfer Gary Player is quoted as saying "the more I practice, the luckier I get." I have often wondered if Coleman practices getting away with blatant shoves in the box. Perhaps he and Fellaini hang back after training.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    I think the problem is how narrowly you define creativity CD. Most others acknowledge there is a creative element to his game even if he is not playing in your archetypal creative position.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'm not saying he totally lacks creativity - he is more creative than many other players - but there are "creative" players and there are players with creative attributes. I don't think Gibson is the former, whereas I do think somebody like Gerrard is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Why not just use your own judgement?

Well I did initially I said I didn't think he was particularly creative, however I was not too sure as I had not
    seen a great deal of him playing. He has only played a few games for Ireland and a lot of them I watched on
    streams where it's not that easy to pick put players plus we don't really play a creative central midfield game.
    Not really followed him much at Everton either, normally watching Coleman.
    My main idea of him was his ability to shoot from midfield, that was the over riding impression I had of him, I didn't
    have much of a view either way on his creativity until it was mentioned here. I guess I thought he was slightly more
    creative than Whelan and he was 80 v 79. But both higher than I expected, but I think maybe my idea of
    creativity is different to the one being used, I was thinking more of individual creativity more than say something like play making.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Just caught some of "デイリーサッカーニューズFOOT!", or "Daily soccer news foot(ball)", in which this guy and some Japanese anchor were discussing the Everton Man City game, and in particular the performance of Coleman. They mentioned his first sport of Gaelic football (although the picture was actually compromise rules), talking about the round ball, the fact that you can use your hands and take some steps with the ball. There was another picture of some GAA ground I didn't recognise, along with the comment that this was his main sport until he was 18. No mention of Sligo, sadly (though they may have mentioned something like 'domestic club', and I just didn't pick it up).

Coleman can now say he is 'big in Japan.'
    Last edited by osarusan; 19/03/2013 at 3:22 PM. Reason: better link

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Next stop - mega endorsement deals. Whiskey, menswear, watches - the lot.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    At this rate, Seamus can surely cover both the RB and the RM roles, leaving Trap with an extra option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Seamus and James McCarthy playing darts:

http://www.joe.ie/football/football-...enge-0035706-1
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I thought Coleman was one of our better players tonight!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    one thing about coleman, hes a really good player but i always feel hes going to give away a penalty or make a mistake. could he be used better on the right wing seen as hes such a good attacker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Possibly but tehn we have to use someone more untrustworthy at RB. And then drop McClean or McGeady etc.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    one thing about coleman, hes a really good player but i always feel hes going to give away a penalty or make a mistake. could he be used better on the right wing seen as hes such a good attacker.
    The subject of Coleman's liability to give away penalties has been extensively examined in this thread and the conclusion was that he is blessed with superhuman luck and this doesn't give away penalties.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    The subject of Coleman's liability to give away penalties has been extensively examined in this thread and the conclusion was that he is blessed with superhuman luck and this doesn't give away penalties.
    From watching him with Everton and in the game last night he seems to have become a little smarter/ more experienced on when to tackle or not. He has also improved in drawing fouls when in posession. Defensively his game has improved this season.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Outstanding tonight by all accounts. Anyone see the game??