Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The next Ireland manager?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Trap and Co want to stay on. It is definitely the right course not to make any offer on contract until the end of campaign. If we get playoffs, then maybe. If we qualify, no question, new contracts all round. If we dont qualify and dont make playoffs well then a serious look will be needed as well as consultation with the players. We would be heading into 10+ years of no qualification and a difficult WC group as well.

The below quote troubles me though "I dont understand well in English".........like after the best part of four years in the job now and to say that - not good enough really. How the hell do they communicate with the team!!

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni will stay in his job as long as he is wanted, according to his assistant Marco Tardelli.

Trapattoni, 72, flew out to Moscow with his players ahead of tomorrow’s Euro 2012 qualifier against Russia yesterday having woken to reports that the Football Association of Ireland were edging towards offering him a contract extension, but on half his current salary as part of plans to reduce expenditure on the management team from €2.5m to €1.5m.

Tardelli admitted that was news to him, but was relaxed about the whole situation after speaking to FAI chief executive John Delaney earlier this week.

He said: “I spoke with John Delaney two or three days ago. He never told me about this. For me, it’s speculation. Also two years ago, we took a cut in our contracts.”

Asked if it would be a problem to take a pay cut, Tardelli said: “Not too much.

“I don’t understand well in English, but John Delaney didn’t talk to me about that.

“Many times, we speak with John and the board to decide to continue or not. For us, you know our idea – we want to stay on.”

The reports also claimed the retention of Trapattoni and his staff would depend on Ireland at least reaching the play-off stage of the Euro 2012 qualifying campaign, although Tardelli was unaware also of that.

He said: “We don’t have any such targets. We spoke with John Delaney two or three days. If the board want me and Giovanni to stay here, it’s okay. There’s nothing to be discussed at the moment.”

Tardelli’s comments came after the squad’s final training session in Malahide before they left for Moscow yesterday afternoon.

But he and Trapattoni had more immediate concerns with John O’Shea ruled out due to hip and calf injuries, and goalkeeper Shay Given undergoing a scan on a back problem which has hampered him since last weekend.

Richard Dunne and Robbie Keane are also being nursed through knocks picked up during Friday night’s 0-0 draw with Slovakia.

Given was able to travel with the rest of his team-mates, but O’Shea’s ailments have stopped him from making the trip.

The Sunderland defender, who started at right-back on Friday evening, was one of the candidates to replace the suspended Sean St Ledger in central defence, and his absence has further limited Trapattoni’s options.

As a result, Leeds’ Darren O’Dea is likely to partner Dunne in a patched-up back four.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/tar...#ixzz1X4Gpz6HJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Surely Martin O'Neill would be a better option. I'd love to see him leaping about the Aviva. Trap is living off Paris, it's not been a good reign outside of that if you look at results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    if rafa benetiz got the job after trap i would be physically sick. robbie would retire aswell. RAFA out now!!!!

4. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TiocfaidhArmani View Post
    Surely Martin O'Neill would be a better option. I'd love to see him leaping about the Aviva. Trap is living off Paris, it's not been a good reign outside of that if you look at results.
    I agree about Martin O'Neill. On the other hand, Trap's results haven't been bad, especially away from home. I'd say Scotland, Wales and Norn Iron would snap your hand off for such results. The problem is at home. He can't or won't change his system and we have been mediocre at best in Ireland. Mind you, I knew we were in for a long night when I heard the awful rendition of the anthem by the band. Not exactly rabble rousing stuff.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Considering the FAI are allegedly cutting Traps wages for the third time I would say the list of candidates will be full of the usual suspects IF Trap goes. No MON, no Rafas. Championship and lower Premership between jobbers will make up the list. No Premiership manager would leave their job to manage Ireland. Maybe and its a big maybe one or two Championship managers might.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Billy Davies?

Didn't he nearly get the job last time around or did I dream that?
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Billy Davies?

Didn't he nearly get the job last time around or did I dream that?
    I believe they interviewed him. The two managers who allegedly turned them down were Hodgson and Coppell. Interestingly Coppell is interested in the Iceland job along with Roy Keane. And I would expect Coppell to be a front runner if there is a vacancy. Plus there will be a big bandwagon for Roy to get the job (again if there is one. I hope there isn't).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    if rafa benetiz got the job after trap i would be physically sick. robbie would retire aswell. RAFA out now!!!!
    Wht would you be physically sick?

My preference would be for Martin O'Neill - Irish connection and has performed well at clubs with limited resources. There is a reason why he never got a job at a top club in a top league but I think he would be a good fit for Ireland.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    Wht would you be physically sick?

My preference would be for Martin O'Neill - Irish connection and has performed well at clubs with limited resources. There is a reason why he never got a job at a top club in a top league but I think he would be a good fit for Ireland.
    If we want to qualify for 2014 then MON is the only man. But it will take the type of money Trapatonni was originally on to get somebody like O'Neil interested. MON's will still be one of the first managers contacted when a Premiership vacancy comes up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Mind you, I knew we were in for a long night when I heard the awful rendition of the anthem by the band. Not exactly rabble rousing stuff.
    was dreadful.
    also, we have one of the best ever football songs but it never gets an airing. when it was played (and then cut short) v france the place went mad. baffling that its not played between the anthems and ko.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    For some reason when I was seeing MON, I thought it meant Michael O'Neill.

We'd be best off with an established foreign coach, possibly German and not someone who can't get a job in the sky leagues. The problem is that unless the name has appeared in Shoot or one of our hacks accidentally sees it on sky sports, we'll go for the same old same old. I'd love to see Felix Magath get the job. He's a great person, great coach, sets his teams out of play physical, attacking football and is a stickler for discipline. He'd jump at the chance to come manage Ireland too! Stupid fact - he used to have an Irish red setter called Rotti. Almost qualifies him to play for us I reckon.

But my money is still on Sir Tony O'Reilly. It would mean he'd pay his own way, the media would love him no matter what, the FAI would get breathing room and teh luvvies in D4 would once again embrace "that other sport". Plus think of all the column inches he'd ensure our players got! Lovely!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    I'd love to see Felix Magath get the job.
    I cant see him leaving Wolfsburg to take up the Ireland job, but if he doesn't turn things around there soon he could be unemployed come December/January...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGKyne View Post
    I cant see him leaving Wolfsburg to take up the Ireland job, but if he doesn't turn things around there soon he could be unemployed come December/January...
    He would be an ideal coach to come in (jokes aside) as he knows how to get a team to perform above itself. In all fairness Trap has gotten us to be hard to beat again, now it's up to a more adventurous coach to bring us on. It would be tough to get him in, especially with our media as it is. But it's the only chance he'll have for an international job at a decent level as they won't make him German coach and he won't go wndering around Africa or Asia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    what about someone like Lars Lagerbäck if we went "foreign" again, he did a great job with sweden qualifying through the years. sweden have a similiar style to us aswell.
    Last edited by Duggie; 05/09/2011 at 2:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    He would be an ideal coach to come in (jokes aside) as he knows how to get a team to perform above itself. In all fairness Trap has gotten us to be hard to beat again, now it's up to a more adventurous coach to bring us on. It would be tough to get him in, especially with our media as it is. But it's the only chance he'll have for an international job at a decent level as they won't make him German coach and he won't go wndering around Africa or Asia.
    He seems like a right disciplinarian. http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/s...ctics-91412526

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    If we want to qualify for 2014 then MON is the only man. But it will take the type of money Trapatonni was originally on to get somebody like O'Neil interested. MON's will still be one of the first managers contacted when a Premiership vacancy comes up.
    According to the press he is one of the first managers contacted....doesn't actually mean he is! O'Neill is almost 60 now so clubs , espeically big clubs will take this into account. He realistically has one big club mgmt job left. He has also been managing for 20 years and the highes the got was Aston Villa.

The Irish job could be a relatively stress free option, working with players who respect him, who he would know how to motivate and get the best out of. A salary of 1m nmight tempt him!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGKyne View Post
    He seems like a right disciplinarian. http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/s...ctics-91412526
    His finest hour was in Eintracht many years ago and he took an overpaid bunch of prima donnas to an army assault course. The group included a former sky league striker and a few internationals. Of the 30 players (first and reserve team) who started, 8 finished. 2 of the players who were "fan favourites" were lised right away. He worked wonders until the spineless wonders in the board room (at the time) who were about to be ousted, caved to agents and sacked him. He'd be great with Ireland. Plus when it comes to achievements as a player and coach he outranks most.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's probably nothing, but Gary Dicker mentioned to the Herald that Gus Poyet could be interested:

It would of course be compensation for his own fan club to see Dicker – capped six times at U21 level in 2006 – win a senior cap some day and that's something he's spoken about with his Uruguayan-born manager.

“I've had a chat with Gus about the whole Ireland thing. He told me he'd like to manage an international team some day and that Ireland could fit the bill for him, so maybe I'd get to play for him,” says Dicker, who used a break from club duties earlier this month to come home to Dublin and watch the qualifier at home to Slovakia.

“He was very interested in Ireland, how they play, who they have in midfield, so he might fancy the job some day.
    http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/di...n-2883743.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    His finest hour was in Eintracht many years ago and he took an overpaid bunch of prima donnas to an army assault course.
    Roy did that as well with Sunderland or Ipswich as I recall
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It's probably nothing, but Gary Dicker mentioned to the Herald that Gus Poyet could be interested:

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/di...n-2883743.html
    No bad thing

Let him get BHA into the Prem (sic) then he may be of interest.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast