Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V France - Monday, 27th March 2023 - Euro 2024 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    if youve been paying attention youd know tchouameni doesnt start much. the other 2 changes were clearly tactical but again you seem knowledgable so im sure you can tell us why both of those changes were made.
    That's Tchouameni who has started in 17 out of his 23 caps for France? "doesnt start much". Thats as far as I read, was too busy laughing at that nonsense to read the rest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    We lost last night. Our first home defeat in Euro qualifiers since 2010. It puts us in a difficult position to qualify from this group. It's a very strange time to try to claim vindication for sticking with Kenny after 3 years of awful results.
    It shoes how godawful Kenny has been when a loss is thrown up as vindication of him and his best game in charge of Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    u ok hun?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    That's Tchouameni who has started in 17 out of his 23 caps for France? "doesnt start much". Thats as far as I read, was too busy laughing at that nonsense to read the rest.
    You should read it, and then answer the question, in the next 24 hours
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 28/03/2023 at 2:59 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    It shoes how godawful Kenny has been when a loss is thrown up as vindication of him and his best game in charge of Ireland.
    It does seem a bit odd. If you didn't know the score last night but just looked at the reaction of some supporters and the media, you'd assume we won the game or at least drew it. There was some encouragement but we shouldn't be celebrating defeat, no matter who we played. We have a manager who's been trying to learn on the job, not a great position to be in but we all hope he has learned enough by now. Losing at home in the first game of a qualifying group and sitting bottom definitely doesn't prove anything yet but we still have 7 more games for him to do so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    It’s not like we played San Marino last night. Weird that peeps can’t understand that.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That's an angled photo in fairness. A more central angle shows it was maybe a yard or more inside the post -

I don't think that takes away from either the quality of the header or the save. But it wasn't quite top corner.
    Yes as I said its not top corner. My friends were right behind the area it came into and confirmed it as well - I'd take that before any photo anyway. Still a great save of course.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I cannot fathom the negative begrudgery after that performance. That's all it is too, begrudgery, from a small number of wums. What would have been the reaction had Maignon not pulled off a couple of world class saves at the end? "We should have won by more"?

Very proud to have been there last night to witness a coming of age performance for this team. There's been false dawns previously, but that really did feel like the start of something great last night.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

10. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    His right foot is 60% or more to the right along the goal line and he’s at full stretch. It might not have been in the absolute corner but had it gone in you’d say he scored into the top corner. Constant nitpicking here about everything is driving me nuts.
    It's not nitpicking; it's just correcting tets' image which was clearly angled. The video (1:51 here) shows what I've said also. I don't know why people are so insecure in fairly minor views that any bit of disagreement is dismissed as nitpicking (or begrudgery) tbh. Heaven forbid we have a bit of fun debate without being dismissed like that.

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Sounds like a few posters on this board had a similar reaction to the french commentator when their keeper made that save. Imagine as a supporter getting yourself to a place where you hope ireland dont get a result.

14. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Lads, we lost the match. I'm never happy when Ireland lose, I'm sure most others aren't either. France were not at their best last night. It was a real opportunity to get a draw at least and put us in a strong position in the group. Just because it wasn't a team like Luxembourg defeating us this time doesn't mean that this is the start of something great. People have different opinions and some prefer to celebrate actual victories and results. It was obviously an improvement on most of the past 3 years but that's not saying much. I can only talk for myself but I'm only interested in qualifying for major tournaments. We're in a weaker position now than before yesterday's match. That's the bottom line.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I’m not insecure about anything. I just think it’s pointless arguing whether it’s too corner or near the top corner. We all saw what happened. It was a very good header and a great save. Any other sane forum would just accept that, but here the professional miserabilists have taken over as usual. Not just on this issue but the whole game.

And as for the “you’d swear we won” claim. Beyond pathetic.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    The way we sat off them made it difficult for them to play through the middle, and they had to swing in a lot of crosses. I guess they expected that, seeing as they had Giroud on from the start, but we defended better than they expected I'd say.

I do think they played within themselves at times, and were just a bit ponderous and sloppy at times as well, expecting a goal would eventually arrive. Had the goal not been gifted to them, I think they'd have gone through the gears until they got one.

Relying on their keeper to pull off a world-class save is not what they expected, it wasn't a case of them comfortably seeing out the game at the end. They really were rattled in the closing minutes and we came much closer to a goal than they'd have expected.
    Last edited by osarusan; 28/03/2023 at 5:20 PM.

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Very proud to have been there last night to witness a coming of age performance for this team. There's been false dawns previously, but that really did feel like the start of something great last night.
    I told my mates before the game that I felt a coming of age performance was due soon. I think they were close to delivering it. I’m not ashamed to say I saw positives in defeat but defeat it was, and that hurts as it always does. Of course we’ll only know in the next 8 months whether this group actually do come of age, but I think you have to say that most of the younger lads put in high quality individual performances. They deserve credit for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    I think with all the talk of playing a different style, it's worth noting that our biggest threat against France came from set pieces. Some Kenny fans like to dismiss it as a dinosaur tactic but is it worth having Duffy on the bench for the last 10 minutes? It was made for him last night.
    Don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone decry the scoring of goals from set pieces. As for having Duffy on the bench (I thought he was injured anyway ?) I don’t think he could have done more than Nathan Collins did with his header. We also had Egan on the pitch, who has scored from corners.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    I’m not insecure about anything. I just think it’s pointless arguing whether it’s too corner or near the top corner. We all saw what happened. It was a very good header and a great save. Any other sane forum would just accept that, but here the professional miserabilists have taken over as usual. Not just on this issue but the whole game.

And as for the “you’d swear we won” claim. Beyond pathetic.
    I think being called begrudgers and being told that we are actually up for the other team is beyond pathetic. And just because some aren't fawning over this defeat.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I think being called begrudgers and being told that we are actually up for the other team is beyond pathetic..
    So take it up with those who accused you of being up for the other team then.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone decry the scoring of goals from set pieces. As for having Duffy on the bench (I thought he was injured anyway ?) I don’t think he could have done more than Nathan Collins did with his header. We also had Egan on the pitch, who has scored from corners.
    Go back to lumping it on top of Duffy's head is the cry from some of those who think hoofball is the only alternative to Kenny.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    So take it up with those who accused you of being up for the other team then.
    Really not worth it but was interesting that you only signalled out some opinions for being pathetic and not others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Boomers, was last night's performance that of a competently-managed and coached team? If not, why not exactly?

Were we motivated and spirited? Was there a sense of purpose and cohesion? Did we suffer from a lack of attacking ambition or defensive organisation? Were there any contentious selections or substitutions that negatively impacted the team? Was there anything, specifically, that a 'competent manager' would have done differently?

27. Thanks From:

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast