Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Keogh D Forest Green Rovers b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Sorry Razor, I still haven’t figured out how to use quotes but this is in response to your query.
    The breathalyzer results (if that’s what was used by the police) do not compromise their right to a fair trial.In fact, they clearly assist that right by a court not having to rely on a police officer giving an ‘opinion’ re intoxication such as slurred speech, disorientation etc. Derby however, appear in my view, to have tried to introduce evidential material, which is prejudicial to the outcome of any trial, not only at pre-trial stage, but into the public domain. This has the effect of potentially contaminating the deciders of fact and leading to the possibility that lawyers for the accused could argue that those accused cannot obtain a fair trial.
    That, in my view is irresponsible by Derby. Nonetheless, a plea of guilty remains the most likely outcome you would think.
    Also, would Derby have released such a statement if there had of been a fatality? or if the lads hadn’t wrapped the car around a pole but instead simply made it safely home? I doubt it, I would suggest Derby would have said nothing at all in the latter scenario which means their statement is just an empty, face-saving, cynical, PR exercise.
    If Keogh was unfortunate enough to have died in the accident then he’d be hailed as a victim of yet another drink driver, the fact that he’s only suffered a career-threatening injury appears to now afford licence to cast him as a drunken, entitled, clown who has potentially thrown it all away with his selfish actions.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I’m going to stand up for Keogh here.
    Not his actions. Of course, he was stupid to get in a car with a drunk driver. Of course, as club captain he should have led a better example.
    But some comments here are a bit over the top. His career may well be over. I think that’s punishment enough for him.

Sometimes, people let off a bit of steam and go too far with drink. Of course it was highly unprofessional.

But as an Irish fan, I’ve never felt let down by Keogh’s commitment and my main feeling when I heard the news was that I’m glad he didn’t have a more serious injury.
    He’s been a fantastic servant to us and calling him a clown and a sh!t player all seems a little bit cheap.

I hope he gets well soon.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Did the club have chauffeured cars there and available and yet the Club Captain decided to go with drunken young team mates .

I’ll be shocked if he is not out the door at Derby .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Did the club have chauffeured cars there and available and yet the Club Captain decided to go with drunken young team mates .

I’ll be shocked if he is not out the door at Derby .
    Yes they did.
    As I've stated, he was highly unprofessional.
    But he's paid the price for it.
    We've all done stupid things in our lives.
    Rich footballers can do stupid things as well.
    I'm just reacting to the lack of empathy to someone who's been a great servant for us.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    I do feel a bit sorry for Keogh. His actions were ridiculously stupid and reckless. I, like many people, have definitely been ridiculously stupid after drink. Hopefully not as stupid as this and I would hope that no matter how drunk I was that I wouldn't get into a car with a mate that is as drunk as I am.

However, the consequences of this drunken choice are irreversible and will stay with Keogh forever. This incident probably has ended his association with a club that he has served so well for 7 years. His club career may well be over and will be tainted by this. He has also served Ireland with great passion and bravery throughout his international career. He has p*ssed away his involvement in a potential Euro finals. This incident also will taint his international career and be as good as an asterisk beside his 26 caps.

One thing I will say, and maybe I'm naive, is that I don't think young lads in their 20's tend to even consider driving home locked from the pub these days. I am in my 20's myself and I can't think of a single person I know that would for the slightest second even consider hopping in to drive their car after a few pints. For two lads to hop into.two separate cars after, I'm assuming, more than a few pints is utterly heinous. For a man in his 30's to condone their behaviour by sitting into one of the cars is similarly moronic. I would like to hear that Keogh was utterly oblivionated by the drink and unknowingly lifted out to the car by Lawrence or Bennett- but that may be a stretch.

Anyway, one thing is for sure, society in Ireland and the UK has progressed a lot in the last 20 years or so as regards the dangers of drink driving. This is as good a deterrent as any for any young kid who hears about the story to never engage in the activity of drink driving.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    Mostly I feel deep sympathy and sadness for Keogh.

99% likely he was incredibly stupid although there are hypothetical scenarios where he wasn’t. The example of him being passed out. Maybe Lawrence tells him that he was drinking just cokes rather than vodka and cokes and he buys it. Also a ridiculous stretch to imagine but possible. Or imagine Bennett speeds off drunk as the other lads try stop him. They jump in a car after him to get him to stop driving. And the lad who is most sober takes the wheel. They’re flashing and beeping at him. He slams on the breaks and they swerve to avoid leading to the crash. It’ll all come out in court I guess. No point on rushing to final judgment ourselves.

Anyway, in most scenarios he was stupid to get in the car. We don’t know if there were any other passengers but he paid a price that was so much higher than everyone else involved.

One bad choice may have ended his career. He’ll have to live with the consequences of that as long as he lives.

In recent years, the conversation around mental health issues of players, particularly retired players has started to exist. Divorce rates once players retire. Rates of alcoholism, depression and suicide. I would worry about how any human would deal with what’s happened to Richard and not hate themselves for it...

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Back to football. What will be our back 4 for the games?

Would this be too bold. Matt Doh. Egan lenigan. Coleman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I’m thinking Doherty, Long, Egan, Coleman.

I presume Clark will be recalled to the squad

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Is it Tets that normally creates the match threads? Probably time to do so, 2 weeks out from Georgia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I would worry about how any human would deal with what’s happened to Richard and not hate themselves for it...
    It's going to be very tough for him for a while but he'll be okay I think, he's a strong character. He really doesn't seem the reckless type either, having made a career out of being a great professional and a leader. People make mistakes, even really stupid and dangerous ones.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    This was bound to happen at some stage just as Paul predicted, considering his car crash defending.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think towk called it too.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    He certainly won’t be winning any Captain of the Year Awards .

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Whatever about the rights and wrongs of this, and I disagree with you Fizzer, but I've just seen pictures of Keoghs knee from the accident and the lad will be lucky if he is not walking with a limp for the rest of his life never mind play again.

Have to wish him well in his recovery even if I think he acted stupidly.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    https://twitter.com/deanorams6388/st...311075848?s=21

Thats a tweet of a Whats App recording that is doing the rounds with an account of what happened. I believe from what I've read that is another player talking ( Not Stephen Ward).

If its all true you can see why Derby County didnt hold back in their statement.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/100188...ard-keogh/amp/

There but for the grace of God.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Will be doubly bad if derby rivals forest go top of the championship tonight, currently halftime, 1-1 v stoke, forest go top if they win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Forest 2-1 at the moment, will be the first time they have been top in as long as I can remember, they have no Irish players through. 3-1 now, might be their year, the new manager cashing in on O'Neill's work.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 27/09/2019 at 8:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Whatever about the rights and wrongs of this, and I disagree with you Fizzer, but I've just seen pictures of Keoghs knee from the accident and the lad will be lucky if he is not walking with a limp for the rest of his life never mind play again.

Have to wish him well in his recovery even if I think he acted stupidly.
    I've seen those pics and seems some screen grabs from whats app discussing what happened.

He's been incredibly daft and has paid a high price but I doubt he'll need anyone else to tell him how stupid he's been. Hard to imagine he hasn't lost a career that he would probably have hoped to bring to a close on the grand stage of a European Championships.

I'll simply pay tribute to him. He played 26 times for us and never let us down. He was one of the 14 men who made 08/10/2015 a day I will remember for as long as I can hold air in my lungs.

Maith thú Richard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    It is a position where we have a fair bit of cover I would say, ie not the end of the world. Central defence is our strongest position imo.

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast