Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Kits 2019

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    There is a top class Paeds Department in OLOL , which I would say could do with some support from the biggest town in the North East. Drumcar badly needs support as do CAMH and ambulance services in Co Louth.
    First the link with Malahide United and now the link to a Dublin hospital,! great sense of community or what?
    I have my doubts if a Paediatric Unit in a neighbouring town or St John of Gods in Drumcar (especially with it's recent controversies) would make for a more appropriate community partner simply on the basis that they are geographically closer than the National Children's Hospital.

There is an existing established relationship with Dundalk FC and players / staff most recently visited Temple Street Children’s Hospital in December
    https://www.dundalkfc.com/temple-str...ospital-visit/

The cause is excellent and well deserving of support.

I hear no criticism in Dundalk that the National Children's Hospital will be the beneficiary of this initiative, and expect that it will be well supported in the community.
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 28/03/2019 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Questioning it because of the tangential connection between your community and a charity relatively unrelated to that community.Am all for clubs linking up with charities,Derry did it with their first team shirt 're local addiction services,Bohs and Rovers did it on the pink jersey derby games for cancer.
    Granted , neither of those have the "aww" factor of a children's hospital.

BTW Chidrens (national) neurosurgical services in Beaumont are currently fundraising for a parents waiting room in the hospital, deatails from Beaumont Foundation.
    How is this a connection between your community and a charity? Is it because people in Phibsborough and Tallaght get cancer? As do people nationwide. People in Dundalk use Temple Street as do people nationwide.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    The National Children's Hospital is in Tallaght.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    How is this a connection between your community and a charity? Is it because people in Phibsborough and Tallaght get cancer? As do people nationwide. People in Dundalk use Temple Street as do people nationwide.
    Stop embarrassing yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Stop embarrassing yourself.
    Another great point.

Explain how Bohs pink jersey initiative is connected to the Phibsborough community but this initiative is not connected to the Dundalk community?

Oh and BTW the fact that you're even questioning a charity related initiative is the real embarrassment here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    The National Children's Hospital is in Tallaght.
    Thanks for the correction, although I'm sure you knew I was referring to Temple Street Children's University Hospital.

When checking the full title I notice the website description of it being an acute paediatric hospital that cares for 145,000 sick children annually. I don't like the jersey, but I'll certainly support the cause.

I think it's a little sad that you appear eager to be repetitively critical of an initiative that will raise money for such a good cause.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Thanks for the correction, although I'm sure you knew I was referring to Temple Street Children's University Hospital.

When checking the full title I notice the website description of it being an acute paediatric hospital that cares for 145,000 sick children annually. I don't like the jersey, but I'll certainly support the cause.

I think it's a little sad that you appear eager to be repetitively critical of an initiative that will raise money for such a good cause.

Just repeatedly making the point that linking in to a popular , well supported charitable foundation,( rather than a lower profile charity closer to your community) two counties awa,y smacks of virtue signalling a la Smashie and Nicey .

Good luck with the jersey anyway, guaranteed purple patch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Just repeatedly making the point that linking in to a popular , well supported charitable foundation,( rather than a lower profile charity closer to your community) two counties awa,y smacks of virtue signalling a la Smashie and Nicey .

Good luck with the jersey anyway, guaranteed purple patch.
    Presumably you will be boycotting this on a point of principle then.

The moral high ground must be a cold and lonely place

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

At a time when much play is made of clubs involvement in their local community is important to the development of the game I don’t think asking if there were charities closer to home is so wrong. Nobody doubts the brilliant work done by Temple Street but, for example, there is brilliant work done in OLOL and it’s nearer Dundalks base (I bet every Dundalk supporter has had reason to visit OLOL at some time).
    Not criticizing DFC for the excellent iniative just some thinking they missed an opportunity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    At a time when much play is made of clubs involvement in their local community is important to the development of the game I don’t think asking if there were charities closer to home is so wrong. Nobody doubts the brilliant work done by Temple Street but, for example, there is brilliant work done in OLOL and it’s nearer Dundalks base (I bet every Dundalk supporter has had reason to visit OLOL at some time).
    Not criticizing DFC for the excellent iniative just some thinking they missed an opportunity.
    But crucially, it's in Drogheda
    Mon the Town!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I realise that this is completely off football topic, and I will say no more. Lots of deserving charities in Co Louth who could do with a boost to their profile, I saw a report that County Louth locals had volunteered over 45,000 hours to charitable and community activities locally in a year, so there is clearly as a real sense of CSR among the local population anyway. No idea how much the jersey sales will raise , but I would have thought that the publicity boost for a smaller local charity or charities would have been proportionately huge for them.
    Given that Dundalk play their European games in the Tallaght community, it may have been a nice gesture to support the National Childrens Hospital Foundation?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts

It'd be a bit odd if a Bohs fan bought a "limited edition, never done before in Ireland*" Dundalk Jersey or scored a cup goal for them now wouldn't it so I'd hardly call it a boycott.

*may or may not be factually correct but let's just say it anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    It'd be a bit odd if a Bohs fan bought a "limited edition, never done before in Ireland*" Dundalk Jersey or scored a cup goal for them now wouldn't it so I'd hardly call it a boycott.

Yes, but perhaps not so odd for the Bohs fan to be so vexed about the choice of the charity, that he rattles off a half dozen posts complaining it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArFella View Post
    But crucially, it's in Drogheda
    And Temple street is in Dublin at least Drogheda is the same county. Anyway, best of luck with the fundraising it is a very good cause.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Silly question to ask as everyone, apart from you knows that there are no charities between Temple Street and Dundalk, or within an 80km radius of Dundalk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCdfc View Post
    Silly question to ask as everyone, apart from you knows that there are no charities between Temple Street and Dundalk, or within an 80km radius of Dundalk.
    WTF ? That post is a whole special kind off loopy 😁

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    WTF ? That post is a whole special kind off loopy 😁
    You can't expect me to respond to crazy posts with sensible ones. They just wouldn't sink in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    This whole argument is embarrassing to be fair.

Club raises money for a good charity and there's complaints about this, because it's not local to them?

That's a pretty pathetic argument.

I've contributed to several fundraisers for Temple Street Childrens Hospital in the past in Donegal. I'll remember to tell those raising the money the next time to go cop themselves on and support a local charity instead
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    This whole argument is embarrassing to be fair.

Club raises money for a good charity and there's complaints about this, because it's not local to them?

That's a pretty pathetic argument.

I've contributed to several fundraisers for Temple Street Childrens Hospital in the past in Donegal. I'll remember to tell those raising the money the next time to go cop themselves on and support a local charity instead
    Temple Street doesnt provide primary care, it is secondary or tertiary care so it has a specific regional and national focus. so the people criticizing this really need to stop being the personification of everything wrong with Irish people

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I know I shouldn't but..... the Dundalk initiative would be the equivalent of Harps doing a shirt sponsorship deal with what formally is your regional Paeds Department in Galway rather than lets say the Letterkenny or even Sligo Paediatric Departments.That's clearly not going to happen?
    The support by any football club for any paediatric service or any worthy charity is obviously a good thing, and people can also make their own private decisions about their own private donations.The reality is that there is a certain cachet with being associated with one charity over another and often seems to be asssociated with an air of self congratulation.Whether that's the case with the Dundalk "media event" is a matter of opinion.
    In conclusion, I am bad , all charities are good, Dundalk FC are wonderful and CUH Temple Street is a national treasure.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast